The Rise of the Centrist

I don't know about any of you but the last few years (the last two in particular) I've become increasingly frustrated at the extremists in society having the biggest voice, when I know full well the majority of us sit somewhere in the middle and just try to make our way through life without bumping our gums too much about anything (other than the weather, roadworks and the performance of our nation's sporting representatives).

Following on from @halo_jones thread: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/social-media-is-it-toxic-bubble.256251/ I've also found it a very interesting way of shutting people up on social media when they get caught up in pointless bickering. From anything political, to arguing about the latest "woke" advert, to football anti-racism messages; one side clearly outraged at the tokenism on display, the other stating "came here for the gammon comments, wasn't disappointed" - until the brave & handsome centrist pipes up with "perhaps you and the 'gammons' should come here for the football, or better still find a stadium of your own to argue until your heart's content and leave the rest of us in peace?"

Instant 'silence'.

And while that reply is harvesting the day's supply of Facebook 'likes', an idea is forming in my head (barren though it usually is...)

For those who don't know me, I'm a political neutral. For years I've voted for the party least likely to screw the country and never understood why people can be solely drawn to a party who doesn't even know them let alone give a toss about them, going on to have long drawn out arguments, fighting their corner at every opportunity on social media. It's like social media has provided people with tailor-made echo chambers to visit at their will and vent - only to be "rewarded" by mutual back-slapping from their fellow politically-polarized virtual "mates", almost like the HoC during PMs questions. Fast forward to the next GE and the losing side's supporters are in disbelief their party has been obliterated, having convinced themselves the 4 or 5 randoms on social media they've been conversing with the last few months represent society - when in reality, they represent the delusional minorities who continue to scream the loudest.

From the foaming rabid right-wingers who are convinced the "Muzzies' are taking over and the only solution is to demolish a Mosque each time a man of Somalian origin goes on a stabbing spree - to the foaming rabid left-wingers who are convinced we're all racists and need to apologise for stuff which happened 250 years ago and obliterate history - what's become clear to me is that both sides need a reality check.

Almost like managing your Coy, Sqn, Pl etc - you often find about 80% of the unit's issues are caused by 20% of its troops - and like our issues in society and particularly social media, I'd not be too far off citing 80% of the "noise" is created by 20% of its contributors. Even on ARRSE, pretty much most of the reports are usually due to the same 5 or 6 members. However it adds up, I think the silent majority have been silent enough.

I haven't watched the news since March last year mainly because of Covid and other sensationalist reporting, but also because it's become increasingly biased / censored - far too concerned with the consequences of the "extremes" than actually reporting the news. They dare not state too early the colour of the perp's skin in case it riles the racists; or shoehorn the token black guy / other ethnicity into everything in case it riles the far left. Forever pandering to the extremes.

We supposedly live in a democratic society. Perhaps mainstream media, social media and every other outlet including advertising, entertainments, the arts (drama, comedy etc) should start acting that way and playing to their audience, instead of catering for the "whiney insignificants".

What I find ironic is that there seems to be plenty of platforms for the wings - indeed a few searches on YouTube and you'll find all the left wing and right wing propaganda you want. But for a chunk of society so large, I can't help wonder society is missing a Centrist platform.

One for all those normal folk out there, with normal issues who care not for who's running the country, so long as they're not fecking it up; who care not for the colour of actors on their TVs, so long as they can act; who care not for religious beliefs nor sexuality, so long as it doesn't define that person etc etc.

Time to start a centrist platform, perhaps?

Who's with me?

Centrist as in a Churchillian blend of classical liberalism and conservatism - built on a foundation of patriotism?

I'd have some of that.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don't know about any of you but the last few years (the last two in particular) I've become increasingly frustrated at the extremists in society having the biggest voice, when I know full well the majority of us sit somewhere in the middle and just try to make our way through life without bumping our gums too much about anything (other than the weather, roadworks and the performance of our nation's sporting representatives).

Following on from @halo_jones thread: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/social-media-is-it-toxic-bubble.256251/ I've also found it a very interesting way of shutting people up on social media when they get caught up in pointless bickering. From anything political, to arguing about the latest "woke" advert, to football anti-racism messages; one side clearly outraged at the tokenism on display, the other stating "came here for the gammon comments, wasn't disappointed" - until the brave & handsome centrist pipes up with "perhaps you and the 'gammons' should come here for the football, or better still find a stadium of your own to argue until your heart's content and leave the rest of us in peace?"

Instant 'silence'.

And while that reply is harvesting the day's supply of Facebook 'likes', an idea is forming in my head (barren though it usually is...)

For those who don't know me, I'm a political neutral. For years I've voted for the party least likely to screw the country and never understood why people can be solely drawn to a party who doesn't even know them let alone give a toss about them, going on to have long drawn out arguments, fighting their corner at every opportunity on social media. It's like social media has provided people with tailor-made echo chambers to visit at their will and vent - only to be "rewarded" by mutual back-slapping from their fellow politically-polarized virtual "mates", almost like the HoC during PMs questions. Fast forward to the next GE and the losing side's supporters are in disbelief their party has been obliterated, having convinced themselves the 4 or 5 randoms on social media they've been conversing with the last few months represent society - when in reality, they represent the delusional minorities who continue to scream the loudest.

From the foaming rabid right-wingers who are convinced the "Muzzies' are taking over and the only solution is to demolish a Mosque each time a man of Somalian origin goes on a stabbing spree - to the foaming rabid left-wingers who are convinced we're all racists and need to apologise for stuff which happened 250 years ago and obliterate history - what's become clear to me is that both sides need a reality check.

Almost like managing your Coy, Sqn, Pl etc - you often find about 80% of the unit's issues are caused by 20% of its troops - and like our issues in society and particularly social media, I'd not be too far off citing 80% of the "noise" is created by 20% of its contributors. Even on ARRSE, pretty much most of the reports are usually due to the same 5 or 6 members. However it adds up, I think the silent majority have been silent enough.

I haven't watched the news since March last year mainly because of Covid and other sensationalist reporting, but also because it's become increasingly biased / censored - far too concerned with the consequences of the "extremes" than actually reporting the news. They dare not state too early the colour of the perp's skin in case it riles the racists; or shoehorn the token black guy / other ethnicity into everything in case it riles the far left. Forever pandering to the extremes.

We supposedly live in a democratic society. Perhaps mainstream media, social media and every other outlet including advertising, entertainments, the arts (drama, comedy etc) should start acting that way and playing to their audience, instead of catering for the "whiney insignificants".

What I find ironic is that there seems to be plenty of platforms for the wings - indeed a few searches on YouTube and you'll find all the left wing and right wing propaganda you want. But for a chunk of society so large, I can't help wonder society is missing a Centrist platform.

One for all those normal folk out there, with normal issues who care not for who's running the country, so long as they're not fecking it up; who care not for the colour of actors on their TVs, so long as they can act; who care not for religious beliefs nor sexuality, so long as it doesn't define that person etc etc.

Who's with me?

Ah, the Apathy Party. If there are more centrists as you surmise, the extremes should have been kicked to a drooling paste by now if the centre wasn't all about apathy.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
I'm largely with you actually..and surprise myself in saying so. By Jove....I even gave you a like.
You could however, given your new found (?) enthusiasms for the middle ground, perhaps think twice about spouting your intense disdain of (all?) civilians as you did the other day. If that is, you do not want to be picked up as a bit of a two faced knuntt like...(cough) a lot of politicians.;) 2 faced knuntts are the reason I've not bothered voting for 5 years. Nor an I alone by a long chalk.
But, no, I do get your point. And you do a mean omelette.

Haha! Don't take stuff like that seriously.

I don't dislike civilians at all. That's just the veteran in me playing up to the crowd (with this website loosely being military-themed too). And of course if anybody feels that's a step too far and put out by that, then I unreservedly apologise - no offence ever intended. (since this is in the serious part of the Site)

Instant 'silence'.

Who's with me?

Ok, so who do you vote for?

Until someone altruistic wins the Euromillions and decides '**** it, lets use the 100bn to support a fledgling centrist party though its early failures' there's no one to vote for, so the centrists are marginalised. I'd say the closest you're going to get is the Tories, as there's no way Labour and all the other crank parties are going to go centrist.

Equally, look at GB News. It got listed as racist and far right (Not arguing on what its final form is, just what it was slated to be) before it'd even done a single minute of broadcasting or announcing its programming, why you might ask yourself.
I think that some parties have picked up on how religions and cults work in the US. And how that's been modified to work in their political spectrum. It essentially radicalises people, and generates brand loyalty (for another example see how Apple works). If you can get brand loyalty you've got a captive voter the other side can't steal. What I find most interesting is how this has wormed its way into peoples brains. IF you stick most people down and give them a political compass test they'll come out within a few points of the centre. However, this is radically different from how they view their own politics, they'd often suggest they are further to the right or left than the political compass would suggest. I put this down to being a symptom of the political radicalisation I mentioned above.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Well, me for one. But also all the people who have tried to create centrist / normal / non-extreme platforms over the past 5 years (Parler, Minds, Gab, and so on).

Problem is, they've found three things:

1. The existing monopolies work really quite hard to put them out of business.
2. There is no business model for social media, only advertising...and advertising algorithms drive extremes.
3. First users of any new platform are all those banned from the existing ones, who are on average the most extreme users.

It's a difficult problem. It requires not only starting a new platform, but breaking the old ones.

I refer you to this televisual prediction from two decades ago:

Agreed and that's one of the biggest problems I've found.

Emotive and divisive subjects cause the most arguments (online especially), which turn into more Internet traffic, more advertising clicks, climbing the ladder in the search results etc, hence the MSM in particular are happy to promote it and equally why anyone calling for calm or reasoned / balanced debate remains silenced - money talks.

Just look at the fuel situation. Media happy to create an absolute storm over a very minor issue, turning into a national panic. Whilst rubbing their hands at the viewing figures and newspaper sales.

Last edited:

Instant 'silence'.

Who's with me?
Cracking post and as another fed up centrist one I entirely agree with, but such an approach seems doomed to failure, sadly.

For evidence, let’s see how many replies to this thread agree with what you’ve said but then the same poster won’t be able to resist including a dig at the other side, because it’s all their fault (obviously), i.e. missing the point entirely.

Both the left and the right are now so far entrenched in their views that they have to find fault, no matter how petty or dishonest (often by selective quoting etc.) even in the most balanced of arguments or reporting, and it’s *always* the fault of the other side. If by some odd chance they can’t find fault they then move onto some irrelevant buzz word guff which says much more about their own insecurities than the actual subject. Examples:

Headline: “A lost dog has been found safe and well.”

“Good to hear, but look at the owner in the picture. I bet the police put more effort into finding it because it was owner by a middle class business owner, gammon, white van man, Brexit supporter etc. etc…”

Or:

“Good to hear, but Black Labs Matter, BBC grrrr, looks like a Polish immigrant to me, Religion of Peace, can’t we hang someone just in case? etc. etc…

What neither side ever seems to understand, and as your post points out, is that this never results in anyone from the other side changing their mind, and just serves to entrench views further (which is sadly what some people actually want), when a bit of restraint here and there might just sew the seeds of a change of view.

It's often been said that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. It also seems to me that poo manages the same, but then everyone stinks and stinks in the same way.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've had my fair share of Blairites, no thanks.
Stupid response.

Does Nestle turn you off all chocolate? Just because politically motivated critics have branded "centrist" as a bad thing, doesn't make the concept bad. Unless you are a permanent revolution kind of guy who thinks anarchy will lead to sunlit uplands, you probably agree that the best way to build society is to curb the extremes.

Centrist just means "when you get people to agree on things, what they agree on ends up being in the middle". Call it something else if you want, but the principle is almost certainly how you do and want to run your life.

People on this site should have plenty of experience of what happens when centrism fails and either anarchy or extremists take over. Exactly zero utopias have been created as a result.

I understand the irony of what I’m typing here, but in my humble opinion, the Country has become steadily more divisive since the arrival of 24/7 News and the icing on the cake for every wannabe has been the expansion of Social Media.
Whilst these two Behemoths exist, we will never get back to the ‘Halcyon’ days of respect for others and their opinions, if indeed they ever truly existed.
Good post OP.

Haha! Don't take stuff like that seriously.

I don't dislike civilians at all. That's just the veteran in me playing up to the crowd (with this website loosely being military-themed too). And of course if anybody feels that's a step too far and put out by that, then I unreservedly apologise - no offence ever intended. (since this is in the serious part of the Site)
Here is an irony coming from a "never served scumbag" ...me.
I despise whingeing Civvies...of which unfortunately there seems to be too many .
Why? I guess being the proud Dad of a very special veteran who made me see over 12 years another set of values & priorities.
SWMBO is the same. I just have no time any longer for general cnunts & 1st world Issue moaners.
In fact recently I got verbally beasted into a fat useless fekker of a guy at the GP Waiting Room in front of about ten people (who slid into silence looking at the floor) by the time I'd finished dealing with his bully boy anti NHS rant because he thought he'd leave his mark on the staff. It did not exactly work out as intended for him.
I'd not have bothered 15 years back.

Last edited:

@ Boris, you hit several nails on the head, but i want too highlight, what you have said about 'news' media, which I think has not just lost the plot in many cases journalistically but are rather in part becoming media click bait for the 'Me, Me, Me' lot amongst the political commentators across alternative news media.

Also your not missing much in the way of getting 'News' as anything of serious worth tends to pop up here, on arrse.

As for centrism, vocal agenda driven minorities have ragged the centre like a terrier on a rat, and pulled it to far to the collectivist left. Of course since I consider myself to be of the centre right you would expect me to say that. When many of the centre are also constantly facing accusations of being 'Adolf', racist, tramp kicker, etc rather than or too shut down debate, I feel it does add weight if not prove my point.

I would suggest we treat those who consider those tactics to be bad actors but not to 'no platform them rather they be ignored, sadly the news media likes to present a good 'cockfight' and while the traditional media is I think dying, in its present form, print is all but dead, I honestly cannot recollect the last time brought a news paper. Much of print is just an extension of vapid 'strictly come bread and circus' and cheerleading efforts to make the government dance to what ever 'fear porn' tune, may be profitable.

Radio, Television for better or worse is under threat for entertainment by online 'streaming' and for news, analysis and commentary then its predominately YouTube and the like. The long form interview and educated debate, is I would suggest thriving on those platforms despite the efforts of 'Silicon Valley to put their politically biased finger on the scales.

I don't see 'social media' Twatter and FaceAche as a news source as much as activist echo chamber promulgators. That said there is without doubt a chunk of society that does, and they are perhaps the same cohort who cant or wont watch informed interviews, debate or enquiry. I think we can both agree that the media has dumbed down a significant cohort, of the wider public. Aided by sadly academia.

The centre though must make its voice heard, to highlight the incompetence, indifference and failures particularly in failing to have a long term nation strategy.

Sadly I must now say we all have failed to fully carry out our civic duty as citizens over the last 30 too 40 years, pissing and moaning to each other rather than attending public council meeting, writing to MP's etc. I have said as much across many posts in many threads, that the political class of all stripes rather like it that way and lulled us into both sleeping on the job and making it difficult to do such.

I will close by saying it is always darkest before dawn, we have spent decades breaking things, so we wont fix them over night. But we must.

Ah, the Apathy Party. If there are more centrists as you surmise, the extremes should have been kicked to a drooling paste by now if the centre wasn't all about apathy.

While harshly put, it does rather show the weakness of centrism against a more rigid political position. Centralism much like classical liberalism fails to forcefully be able to defend itself, when the enemy uses its own philosophy against it...

For instance all cultures should be seen as and treated equally. It is not I believe illiberal to say that is bunk, all cultures are not equal in worth or outcome, while that may suck if you start within a poor cultural background but you have the choice to remain or improve. Massive simplification I know but your all smart enough to get what I am saying.

There is clearly within societal politics a time to stay on the centre ground but there are also time when hard choices must be made.

D

Deleted 100463

All these XRW types.. I bet they eat Indian and Chinese food, and Kebabs etc.. ********* the lot of them.

Skin is just the coloured outer wrapper, peel it off and we are all the same underneath.
It's the vocal minority causing problems for the rest of society, I'm all for free speech but when it starts causing idiots to go out and commit murder then maybe things should be re evaluated.
Didn't you get a post removed and a wrist slap for posting a racial slur recently?

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
The 80/20 things is known as Pareto's Law. Unfortunately others laws are also involved, such as Dunning Kruger, those who are not in the habit of thinking as easily persuaded Add that to a self centred viewpoint where people assume that they are 100% factually and morally correct, and as such anyone with a different view is both stupid and evil.

To accept your own flaws and limitations is to accept them in others and to forgive them. Their rationality is bounded by limitations in knowledge and intellect, as is yours. Accepting that the other person may have a point, perhaps 10% of the time, keeps your on track and makes an excursion to lunacy unlikely.

Every stable system is stable because of negative feedback.

Pareto's Law eh?

You know what they say - every day a school day! Thank you for that.

Yes it's very strange how people are increasingly of that opinion in a debate they're 100% correct and their opposition is 100% wrong.

I think I'm part of a very small minority who's willing to admit I've overlooked something or not considered the other person's POV. My posting history will tell you that.

It's why I also gave up watching QT - partly because it was plainly obvious the audience were more and more biased, but just for once, when a damned good point was made by one side, I wanted to hear the words "good point" or "I agree" from the other.

The ultimate problem of balanced debate - you can't talk to someone who's already decided they're not going to listen.

Instant 'silence'.

Who's with me?
Just what the world needs, another platform to whinge, moan, pass comment, complain and try to put a very Fcuked up country to rights. As its now screwed up, and past redemption, i have lost interest. i obey the laws, pay my dues, keep shtum, at least in public, and let the world do its own thing. My main concerns are for my immediate extended family, as for MP's, BAME WOKE BLM LGBTXYZ insulate Britian nutters and the climate change screamers, i couldn't give a pikeys fart. I'm to bloody old and irascible to care. I invoke the English syndrome:-

1. I don't want to get involved.
2. Its not my problem.
3. Someone else can sort it out.

Have a nice life....be lucky. ;)

Latest Threads