The Rise of the Centrist

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
I don't know about any of you but the last few years (the last two in particular) I've become increasingly frustrated at the extremists in society having the biggest voice, when I know full well the majority of us sit somewhere in the middle and just try to make our way through life without bumping our gums too much about anything (other than the weather, roadworks and the performance of our nation's sporting representatives).

Following on from @halo_jones thread: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/social-media-is-it-toxic-bubble.256251/ I've also found it a very interesting way of shutting people up on social media when they get caught up in pointless bickering. From anything political, to arguing about the latest "woke" advert, to football anti-racism messages; one side clearly outraged at the tokenism on display, the other stating "came here for the gammon comments, wasn't disappointed" - until the brave & handsome centrist pipes up with "perhaps you and the 'gammons' should come here for the football, or better still find a stadium of your own to argue until your heart's content and leave the rest of us in peace?"

Instant 'silence'.

And while that reply is harvesting the day's supply of Facebook 'likes', an idea is forming in my head (barren though it usually is...)

For those who don't know me, I'm a political neutral. For years I've voted for the party least likely to screw the country and never understood why people can be solely drawn to a party who doesn't even know them let alone give a toss about them, going on to have long drawn out arguments, fighting their corner at every opportunity on social media. It's like social media has provided people with tailor-made echo chambers to visit at their will and vent - only to be "rewarded" by mutual back-slapping from their fellow politically-polarized virtual "mates", almost like the HoC during PMs questions. Fast forward to the next GE and the losing side's supporters are in disbelief their party has been obliterated, having convinced themselves the 4 or 5 randoms on social media they've been conversing with the last few months represent society - when in reality, they represent the delusional minorities who continue to scream the loudest.

From the foaming rabid right-wingers who are convinced the "Muzzies' are taking over and the only solution is to demolish a Mosque each time a man of Somalian origin goes on a stabbing spree - to the foaming rabid left-wingers who are convinced we're all racists and need to apologise for stuff which happened 250 years ago and obliterate history - what's become clear to me is that both sides need a reality check.

Almost like managing your Coy, Sqn, Pl etc - you often find about 80% of the unit's issues are caused by 20% of its troops - and like our issues in society and particularly social media, I'd not be too far off citing 80% of the "noise" is created by 20% of its contributors. Even on ARRSE, pretty much most of the reports are usually due to the same 5 or 6 members. However it adds up, I think the silent majority have been silent enough.

I haven't watched the news since March last year mainly because of Covid and other sensationalist reporting, but also because it's become increasingly biased / censored - far too concerned with the consequences of the "extremes" than actually reporting the news. They dare not state too early the colour of the perp's skin in case it riles the racists; or shoehorn the token black guy / other ethnicity into everything in case it riles the far left. Forever pandering to the extremes.

We supposedly live in a democratic society. Perhaps mainstream media, social media and every other outlet including advertising, entertainments, the arts (drama, comedy etc) should start acting that way and playing to their audience, instead of catering for the "whiney insignificants".

What I find ironic is that there seems to be plenty of platforms for the wings - indeed a few searches on YouTube and you'll find all the left wing and right wing propaganda you want. But for a chunk of society so large, I can't help wonder society is missing a Centrist platform.

One for all those normal folk out there, with normal issues who care not for who's running the country, so long as they're not fecking it up; who care not for the colour of actors on their TVs, so long as they can act; who care not for religious beliefs nor sexuality, so long as it doesn't define that person etc etc.

Time to start a centrist platform, perhaps?

Who's with me?

Ritch

LE
I don't know about any of you but the last few years (the last two in particular) I've become increasingly frustrated at the extremists in society having the biggest voice, when I know full well the majority of us sit somewhere in the middle and just try to make our way through life without bumping our gums too much about anything (other than the weather, roadworks and the performance of our nation's sporting representatives).

Following on from @halo_jones thread: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/social-media-is-it-toxic-bubble.256251/ I've also found it a very interesting way of shutting people up on social media when they get caught up in pointless bickering. From anything political, to arguing about the latest "woke" advert, to football anti-racism messages; one side clearly outraged at the tokenism on display, the other stating "came here for the gammon comments, wasn't disappointed" - until the brave & handsome centrist pipes up with "perhaps you and the 'gammons' should come here for the football, or better still find a stadium of your own to argue until your heart's content and leave the rest of us in peace?"

Instant 'silence'.

And while that reply is harvesting the day's supply of Facebook 'likes', an idea is forming in my head (barren though it usually is...)

For those who don't know me, I'm a political neutral. For years I've voted for the party least likely to screw the country and never understood why people can be solely drawn to a party who doesn't even know them let alone give a toss about them, going on to have long drawn out arguments, fighting their corner at every opportunity on social media. It's like social media has provided people with tailor-made echo chambers to visit at their will and vent - only to be "rewarded" by mutual back-slapping from their fellow politically-polarized virtual "mates", almost like the HoC during PMs questions. Fast forward to the next GE and the losing side's supporters are in disbelief their party has been obliterated, having convinced themselves the 4 or 5 randoms on social media they've been conversing with the last few months represent society - when in reality, they represent the delusional minorities who continue to scream the loudest.

From the foaming rabid right-wingers who are convinced the "Muzzies' are taking over and the only solution is to demolish a Mosque each time a man of Somalian origin goes on a stabbing spree - to the foaming rabid left-wingers who are convinced we're all racists and need to apologise for stuff which happened 250 years ago and obliterate history - what's become clear to me is that both sides need a reality check.

Almost like managing your Coy, Sqn, Pl etc - you often find about 80% of the unit's issues are caused by 20% of its troops - and like our issues in society and particularly social media, I'd not be too far off citing 80% of the "noise" is created by 20% of its contributors. Even on ARRSE, pretty much most of the reports are usually due to the same 5 or 6 members. However it adds up, I think the silent majority have been silent enough.

I haven't watched the news since March last year mainly because of Covid and other sensationalist reporting, but also because it's become increasingly biased / censored - far too concerned with the consequences of the "extremes" than actually reporting the news. They dare not state too early the colour of the perp's skin in case it riles the racists; or shoehorn the token black guy / other ethnicity into everything in case it riles the far left. Forever pandering to the extremes.

We supposedly live in a democratic society. Perhaps mainstream media, social media and every other outlet including advertising, entertainments, the arts (drama, comedy etc) should start acting that way and playing to their audience, instead of catering for the "whiney insignificants".

What I find ironic is that there seems to be plenty of platforms for the wings - indeed a few searches on YouTube and you'll find all the left wing and right wing propaganda you want. But for a chunk of society so large, I can't help wonder society is missing a Centrist platform.

One for all those normal folk out there, with normal issues who care not for who's running the country, so long as they're not fecking it up; who care not for the colour of actors on their TVs, so long as they can act; who care not for religious beliefs nor sexuality, so long as it doesn't define that person etc etc.

Who's with me?

I need a lie down after reading that.

However you're spot on. Lately I've become massively frustrated with the radical left and right. The division it's causing across wider society.

By centrist, do you mean “normal”?

I am (with you)
I vote the same, who I think will be the best for my area. Who will do their best by my friends in the Eme Svcs and the Forces and who will do their best to keep my kids safe.
The news is all bullshxt, they’ve got nothing to say and most of the time they’re quoting assumptions from social media.
History is history, we learn from it, not use our colour or historical past to do the bare minimum or nothing at all, for the same pay and privileges as those that graft. I’m sick of paying for “potential voters” who are bribed with better social handouts.

I want prisons filling with prisoners who will never get out or who are going to be in there for extremely long periods

I want prisons filling with prisoners who will never get out or who are going to be in there for extremely long periods

Bit harsh for not paying council tax.

But in this time of Covid how can you know what to think without watching Wee Nippy's daily briefings

I am (with you)
I vote the same, who I think will be the best for my area. Who will do their best by my friends in the Eme Svcs and the Forces and who will do their best to keep my kids safe.
The news is all bullshxt, they’ve got nothing to say and most of the time they’re quoting assumptions from social media.
History is history, we learn from it, not use our colour or historical past to do the bare minimum or nothing at all, for the same pay and privileges as those that graft. I’m sick of paying for “potential voters” who are bribed with better social handouts.

It worked for the Romans for a while, until they literally let the barbarians in the gates

I'm largely with you actually..and surprise myself in saying so. By Jove....I even gave you a like.
You could however, given your new found (?) enthusiasms for the middle ground, perhaps think twice about spouting your intense disdain of (all?) civilians as you did the other day. If that is, you do not want to be picked up as a bit of a two faced knuntt like...(cough) a lot of politicians.;) 2 faced knuntts are the reason I've not bothered voting for 5 years. Nor an I alone by a long chalk.
But, no, I do get your point. And you do a mean omelette.

Last edited:
I've totally given up on politics. I used to be a bit of a political animal, but since I voted in a twat - in the mistaken belief that by doing so I was preventing the UK from being plunged into a '70s-esque economic wasteland overseen by neo-commies (shortages, fuel queues, power cuts [coming soon] etc) hell bent on transforming the country into some totalitarian dystopian miseryscape - I have realised that politics as we knew it is totally and utterly finished; and ticking a box in the naive hope of changing anything - when faced with a trans-national, global elite of neo-Marxist power mongers who are usurping established democracies for their own questionable and (most likely) nefarious purposes - is, quite frankly, beyond wishful thinking.

The centrists haven't done a tremendous job of keeping people on side. Whenever extremism has triumphed it is invariably because the moderates were failing or where there existed another form of extremism or dictatorship.

Yokel

LE

Instant 'silence'.

Who's with me?

The 80/20 things is known as Pareto's Law. Unfortunately others laws are also involved, such as Dunning Kruger, those who are not in the habit of thinking as easily persuaded Add that to a self centred viewpoint where people assume that they are 100% factually and morally correct, and as such anyone with a different view is both stupid and evil.

To accept your own flaws and limitations is to accept them in others and to forgive them. Their rationality is bounded by limitations in knowledge and intellect, as is yours. Accepting that the other person may have a point, perhaps 10% of the time, keeps your on track and makes an excursion to lunacy unlikely.

Every stable system is stable because of negative feedback.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Who's with me?
Well, me for one. But also all the people who have tried to create centrist / normal / non-extreme platforms over the past 5 years (Parler, Minds, Gab, and so on).

Problem is, they've found three things:

1. The existing monopolies work really quite hard to put them out of business.
2. There is no business model for social media, only advertising...and advertising algorithms drive extremes.
3. First users of any new platform are all those banned from the existing ones, who are on average the most extreme users.

It's a difficult problem. It requires not only starting a new platform, but breaking the old ones.

I refer you to this televisual prediction from two decades ago:

I agree with Boris in that most of us adopt that centrist position. However do not mistake me for being reasonable, i’m just too bone idle to get over excited about such things.

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
All these XRW types.. I bet they eat Indian and Chinese food, and Kebabs etc.. ********* the lot of them.

Skin is just the coloured outer wrapper, peel it off and we are all the same underneath.
It's the vocal minority causing problems for the rest of society, I'm all for free speech but when it starts causing idiots to go out and commit murder then maybe things should be re evaluated.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads