The riots in the UK. Are they absolutely unexpected?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Aug 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear friends, considering the realities in the UK were you ready to the riots?

Are they (taking into account their scale) absolutely unexpected or not?

The riots were:

- Absolutely unexpected
    - There was a low probability hat they could happen
    - I was surprised
    - I expected that later or sooner they will happen

My privious poll about the riots was holed. So I'm not sure that a poll can be added to the post taking into account that it is a delicate matter.

2. Without a doubt, the school holidays arn't helping matters at the moment. I'm sure it would carry on regardless mind.

3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

feral kids, school holidays, parents with no money in a throwaway consumer society. it had to happen at some point as they just wanted an excuse to kick off. its not a race thing but an age one.

4. Your a naive fool for assuming that they are socially based. Its a 'Social site' phenomena that has been recognised by criminals as a means by which scum are able to steal with relative impunity whilst stupid thugs occupy police time.

As for ready for the reality of the UK; Sash you may gloat for now; i think you ought to acknowledge the demographic change however; and older people tend to be 'bovvered' especially by things like this; they become reactionary, perhaps they vote slightly outside of their comfort zone, but a restoration of what they knew is a more than acceptable price to pay for restrictions on freedom.

So hows Putin shaping up for the Presidential elections?

5. It is indeed. What's the difference in the grand scheme from a kin throwing a chair at a teacher to throwing a brick through a shop window and running off with a plasma??

6. We have a massive thread on this, why start another?

7. It is a good question.

I believe that the event (the riots) is so important that it deserves several threads. One is for discussion of the current situation, another one to discuss possible solutions and I believe that it is a matter of a separate thread to answer a question - who is guilty?

This thread deals with a narrow question: are the riots absolutely unexpected? It is a serious and important question itself I believe.

8. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Because Putin's own propaganda merchant in the UK is a dullard who can think of nothing more useful to do than make bone threads or quote media headlines ad nauseam

9. msr

msr LE

10. Letterwritingman, as for moron Putin then apparently he wishes to be elected as a president the next year. It is something expected.

By contrast the riots in London and other places, passiveness of the Police are a big surprise for me. Previously I thought that in such a law abiding country as the UK such a disorder is absolutely impossible.

11. Plod had been predicting summer unrest for years. This lot looks like the amuse-bouche course of a seven course slap up meal.

12. Oh come come Sir; please look at our history, there were probably riots and trouble on the streets when Ug was in his cave but I think an early example was some East Anglian lass called Boadicea and a gang called the Icenis having a go at the Romans. I think if you read a bit of our history something always kicks off in the summer when School's out and the peasants have nothing to do, nothing to spend and just need an excuse to pillage and plunder.

But to answer your question, yes I suppose it should have been expected, we have softened our response to disorder because of all this human rights tosh and the proletariat are taking advantage to get their hands on the 3D televisions.

It will all calm down once it starts pissing down, always does.

13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

No, not unexpected. Summer time, school holidays, recession, disaffected youth. Happens at least once a generation, last big kick off was in 1980 and 81.

Each generation of leaders learns that, although maintaining law and order and keeping the peace are seriously expensive, they are a damn sight cheaper than the alternative. The law and order pendulum is about to swing violently in the other direction.

14. Very unexpected simply because this did not happen for any political or social reason, it was nothing more than an expression of pure greed!