The right to buy scheme

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by supermatelot, Nov 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Council house dwellers are to be offered 50% off to buy their homes.
    Based on my flimsy knowledge of economics I do not agree with this.

I know people who I went to school with who went straight on the dole, obtained council houses, spent the next 20 years flitting in and out various jobs as neccesary and now are the owners of their homes which are worth 100k plus on today's market.
    Am I right to be outraged or am I missing something? Like I said - I'm no economist.

• Like Like x 1
  2. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Err!! aren't you a bit behind? Margaret Thatcher passed this into legislation in the Housing Act 1980. So it's nothing new.
    To qualify for RTB you must have been a tenant for a minimum of 5 years and newly purchased properties can no longer be sold on the open market without offering the Social landlord the right to refuse on buying it back.
    The heavy discount was always an option but the fees under the RTB scheme were huge, therefore narrowing the field of buyers to the better end of the spectrum of social tenants.

3. As you were.

4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Largest discount under the old scheme was 75% off of the market value with a restriction on resale for I think 3 or 5 years.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Right to Buy was fine in the early 80s until people started treating property as an investment rather than somewhere to live, and the "ladder" was born, due in part to raids on pensions etc. Restrictive conditions in deeds could sort this out.

6. Like I said, I referred to the original scheme under Maggie but it's about to be restarted.

I think they have gone the wrong way about this. I know some quite well off people who live in council houses. They are well off due to a combination of benefits and self-employed businesses.

It grips my shit that people like that can get on the housing ladder so easily.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I left that man's Army in 1991, in Nov 1990 I contacted my local Council, Wakey,

and was amazed to be told that my time in HMF (22yrs) counted as time on the

Council List.....three weeks later I was told that a 4 Bedroom house was mine if

I wanted it, OH YEAH! Gardening leave for 2 Months doing said house up, one

fine day whilst queueing to pay the rent, I spied Maggie's RTB Scheme Booklet

and Hey Presto 75% off, paid cash (courtesy of Lump Sum) still in the Property

today and now it's probably worth 170k+ and it's mine, all mine, I tell you!

What goes on over my fences, I care not, they leave us alone and we leave

them alone........Good ol' Maggie..the Pit shutting Bitch

• Like Like x 3
  8. The major problem is it leaves less social housing for those who need it.Though as the tories hate the poor the idea of them not living in a slum fills with them horror.They should all move into private rented accommodation so their betters can profit off of them.
    We don't have anywhere enough homes and building enough would only upset the housing market.

9. £400m earmarked for housing.
    Government commits £400m to boost housebuilding | Online News | Building

10. I think there needs to be more acceptance of the general demograph of council house areas. In Plymouth there's an area called "Swilly" (North prospect). The residents were last year invited to vote on the houses being passed over to a private company on the promise of new fitted kitchens and bathrooms etc. You can guess where the vote went.

Many of those houses were 3 or 4 bedrooms with only 2 people living in them.
    That area is responsible for a significant percentage in crimes across the spectrum.

I would have been better off if I "wrote myself off" earlier in life, cut corners when legal aspects were involved and used the state as a safety net.

Do I feel like a mug for having worked since I left school and not broke any laws or claimed benefits?

Yes..and evidently I am.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Maybe the market needs upsetting.

The RTB scheme was wonderful - my parents, who wouldn't have been able to afford house, could and did. Its bollocks that the house then becomes a goldmine, as ex-council houses are valued at much less than the wholly private equivalent. Which is odd, as they are generally much bigger, roomier, of better construction and have larger gardens - often front and rear. Oh, and driveways and garages.

That said, there is no way house prices can be justified at the level they are.

12. Oh, God, my last posting was Plymouth (CTT) and I had to visit said naughty area
    to have a word with one of the Cadets parents, a bully to his kids but a complete and
    utter coward when confronted with a Zapata tashed, evil son of a bitch Bleep.

He was a short-arrsed gobshite, with the ugliest grot of a wife I've ever seen and
    refused to be drawn into a deep and meaning full conversation, he was quite pitifull,
    really.

I was so pleased that someone like that backed down from little me!

It could also have been the LI and RGJ guys who were with me......no, he was shit
    scared of me...............honest.

13. I think it could work, sell of old stock, shift people off he books and build property of the right type for the new lot needing housing.

14. I've not long moved into "social housing" (can't call them council houses anymore as they are all owned by housing associations), after a 10 year wait... to be fair it was well worth the wait. A brand new three bedroom house in an area of privately owned homes, it is a house I would love to buy myself. I was (erroneously) told I'd be able to buy it as private rental counted towards the wait time so I phoned up the Housing Association to inquire further. I was told I'd get a discount of 9% but the private years didn't count so I will have to wait another 4 1/2 years. I hope I will then still be able to buy it, with some kind of discount as it is the only way I will be able to own my own home. As a single person on my income, the only thing I could afford around here otherwise would be one of those temporary wooden structures commonly found at the bottom of the garden...