The rifles

So I’m joining the infantry start of next year, I’ve been looking at the rifles although my local reg is duke of lancs. I’m a northern lad and from what I heard the majority of the rifles lads tend to be southerners, it doesn’t bother me but obviously I’m just a bit curious. If anyone can give me an insight or idea that would be great thanks

I think you need to be a bit more specific mate.
Are you curious about the role of the Rifles or the catchment area?

I think you need to be a bit more specific mate.
Are you curious about the role of the Rifles or the catchment area?
Sorry if I was unclear, I’m just curious to what part of the country tend to make up the majority of the regiment as a whole for example the majority of the York’s reg will be lads from Yorkshire

Sorry if I was unclear, I’m just curious to what part of the country tend to make up the majority of the regiment as a whole for example the majority of the York’s reg will be lads from Yorkshire
Gotcha.
On the whole, The Rifles are made up of the old Royal Greenjacket and Light Infantry battalions, and as such will recruit from all over the UK.
Even a local regiment will have soldiers from different parts of the country, even different parts of the world.
My regiment had lads from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and Fiji.
Regardless, your local unit, the Duke of Lancs, and the Rifles both have fine traditions and proud regimental histories, so whichever you choose to join, give it 100%, and you will become part of a bigger family, and make friendships that will last.
Good luck, and be proud of whichever cap badge you earn the right to wear.

Gotcha.
On the whole, The Rifles are made up of the old Royal Greenjacket and Light Infantry battalions, and as such will recruit from all over the UK.
Even a local regiment will have soldiers from different parts of the country, even different parts of the world.
My regiment had lads from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa and Fiji.
Regardless, your local unit, the Duke of Lancs, and the Rifles both have fine traditions and proud regimental histories, so whichever you choose to join, give it 100%, and you will become part of a bigger family, and make friendships that will last.
Good luck, and be proud of whichever cap badge you earn the right to wear.
Thank you I really appreciate this from you taking time out of your day to write a detailed explanation for me, thanks again !

Thank you I really appreciate this from you taking time out of your day to write a detailed explanation for me, thanks again !
Happy to help.
Now that you're here, stay with the site, there are many more people on here that can answer any questions you may have, help you along through basic training and generally be supportive.
Let us know which unit you decide to join, there are plenty on here who probably served in one of the previous incarnations of the D of L or Rifles.

So I’m joining the infantry start of next year, I’ve been looking at the rifles although my local reg is duke of lancs. I’m a northern lad and from what I heard the majority of the rifles lads tend to be southerners, it doesn’t bother me but obviously I’m just a bit curious. If anyone can give me an insight or idea that would be great thanks
Are you joining the Artillery or infantry?

I was a 1RGJ back in the seventies. There were lads from all over the country in the battalion and in the Regiment as a whole. North East UK, Liverpool, Birmingham, Oxfordshire, London and Greater London and pretty much the rest of the south of the UK.

We were also a very diverse Regiment before people even really knew what the phrase meant but the rest of the army has long caught up on all that stuff.

The Rifles are pretty much a chip off the old block with the other forming Regiments bringing even more of what might have been a few less traditional area’s into the bag.

I suspect that you’ll meet people from all over the UK and even people who are from abroad if you join the Rifles.

And those that I served with, I’m still in touch with many of them today…………

I was a 1RGJ back in the seventies. There were lads from all over the country in the battalion and in the Regiment as a whole. North East UK, Liverpool, Birmingham, Oxfordshire, London and Greater London and pretty much the rest of the south of the UK.

We were also a very diverse Regiment before people even really knew what the phrase meant but the rest of the army has long caught up on all that stuff.

The Rifles are pretty much a chip off the old block with the other forming Regiments bringing even more of what might have been a few less traditional area’s into the bag.

I suspect that you’ll meet people from all over the UK and even people who are from abroad if you join the Rifles.

And those that I served with, I’m still in touch with many of them today…………

LI was retained some regional identity back in the day as was pointed out by another poster. I wonder if they retain any of that in the Rifles?

Troy

LE
Thanks for the reply, originally I’d applied for artillery but after a long decision and a talk with the careers office I decide Infantry would be best for me

The Royal Artillery would give you a better cap badge, a slower marching pace, more vehicles to travel about in and the chance to make more noise.

And those that I served with, I’m still in touch with many of them today…
Wow It’s interesting to hear about your time in the RGJ my grandad was in the fusiliers in the late 70s and he’s spoke about some lads he’s met from there before. And from what I’ve heard about the rifles they seem to be one of the more diverse regiments as you said which is what I’m looking for because I’m a northern lad and wasn’t sure how it would be in a southern regiment. I’m sure both regiments are pretty similar but ultimately I’m looking for what can give me more opportunities in terms of travel and general experience