Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The Rifles

Does anyone know how long 2 rifles will be based in Northern Ireland? Im from Northern Ireland and would love to join the rifles and be based in my country, just wondering how long will 2 rifles be based in Northern Ireland and what would be the chances of me gettin to 2 rifles and not one of the other batts?
I'm not in the Rifles, or the army for that matter. Just a local!As far as I am aware, they stay 10 years before being rotated, I think they are due to leave in 2015/16. You have a chance you may get into 2 RIFLES but only a chance, you are given a choice but will not always get your first choice.Also based in NI is a battalion of the Mercians, I think 2 MERCIAN, based in Holywood up in Belfast. I don't know how long they will be around for.Best of luck

Alright Gents? Im a Young Lad off to join the Rifles in October time this year,Im deffinitely sure its the Regiment for me,but im unsure on which battalion to join.I originally like 4 rifles with their mechanised Role,but a mate of mine is in training and going to 1 Rifles and claims Light Role are better,can any ex or serving Rifleman Or Green Jackets help me weigh up the Pros and Cons of each Battalion?

Bumping. Hoping to apply for Rifles later this year when I get clear of an injury. Fairly old thread, but some has changed since I believe. 1RIFLES haven't been part of 3 Commando Brigade for a while, and aren't 5RIFLES permanently in the UK now?
I've read through the thread and seen some good stuff, any new info/thoughts welcome.

We just got told in 4 rifles we are being re-rolled in a new SIB role, sounds Gucci till we realised we are being cut down by nearly 500 bods and put into other btns
Basically don't hold your breath on 4 as most of the structure is going to be fullscrew and above apparently.
5 rifles are based at ward barracks in bulford but are fully manned apparently.

Yeah I heard about 4 Rifles going SIB,I also heard its only going to be made of senior ranks,Like Corporals and Sergeant's etc. does that mean after completion of training as a standard Rifleman I wont get the chance to join the battalion?

Highly doubt it, there will probably be a few buckshee rfn about but what their role will be we havnt been told, possibly a few Fsg/Signallers/Mt etc