The Rifles or PWRR?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Liam Dunne, Dec 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Rifles, you will not regret it.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. What do you think The Rifles offer that PWRR don't?
  3. I don't think you'd really regret either of them once you joined.
  4. The Rifles offer five regular and two territorial battalions.

Jobs range from 1 Rifles - attached to 3 CDO Bde, to armoured infantry (= Warrior) Light role ( Bulldog) and of course, light role ( get it on your back).

Its the largest Regiment in the Infantry and for the opportunity to cross post within the Regiment to different jobs, pretty much unrivalled.

The Rifles - British Army Website
  5. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

If you have been accepted for PWRR you may not have the optiion to change, it will depend if the Rifles have any places left unfilled at Harrogate. Also if you move it will mean PWRR are now one down. When you get your formal job offer letter it will say PWRR and by signing this you agree to go to that cap badge. You may have the chance to change at Harrogate but there is no guarantee.
  6. Is your name Liam D***e?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. be a chosen man, swift and bold.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Both good units though the Rifles are obviously more diverse with their differing roles throughout the battalions.
  9. Both good (in my experience). PWRR has two battalions, one (currently) armoured (Warrior) and the other light role. I can't remember where the armoured battalion is based (Germany moving back to UK in the next couple of years maybe). The light role Bn (I believe) rotates between London and Cyprus. RIFLES has five Bns with at least one in every infantry role including commando but excluding air assault. Currently (as I recall) there are RIFLES Bns in UK and Germany, with those in Germany due to return to UK in the next few years.

So really it depends on what role you want to go into and where you want to do it. Research and consider the exact locations of the different Bns and where you might want to serve/live. Also ask what the likelihood of going to your battalion of choice is. Remember, you will probably stay at the same battalion for several years.
  10. Rifles. Gleaming No.1 dress!
  11. Rifles is an obvious choice they treat you a lot more like men. We share exercises with the queens and kings div and its always humorous to sit on our daysacks and sit back and watch their mess tins get thrown into thorn bushes for no reason.

We march faster so you won't get as cold cutting about the camp either ;)

Jokes aside it's up to you what you want to do but I seriously suggest Rifles. With 7 battalions it is the largest regiment in the army therefore offering job security and diversity. Don't bother about 1 rifles being part of commando because it makes **** all difference, you only get a place on the course if the marines can't fill it and it means you'll be spending the time getting a dagger instead of applying to get on a junior NCO carder. The dagger is nice but it doesn't get you more money or rank afaik. Also 1 rifles barracks is a shit hole.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Swift and Bold....nuff said
  13. As I understand it 1 Rifles are probably going to lose their spot in 3 Cdo Brigade (according to a Major and Colour Sergeant from the regiment) so I wouldn't let the fact that you might get a dagger shadow your thinking too much.

Still supposed to be a top regiment though.