The Rifles - ewuip etc

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by comrade-max, Oct 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi im an RGJ cadet ( sorry lads for trespassin on ur forum turf )
    i was wondering whether on the rifles formation day (feb1) will we now have regimental colours and will our stable belts change, are we still going to use LI drill and is everyone having a back-badge or just those affiliated with The Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiment?
  2. "It was confirmed the the Rifles will keep the Gloster Back Badge on the No1 Dress Cap, but also for the RGBWLI TA Coys in 6 & 7 Rifles and the Cadets based in Glos, Berks and Wilts, if they wish. "

This is the latest i have heard.
  3. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

basically, the rifles will use light div drill and dress uniforms. Stable belts will change to something green. TA bn's will have the back badge, dont know about the rest...
  4. Its great that at least some units will keep the back badge. Its a importnat bit of british army history.
  5. The back badge will be worn on the back of the service cap by all Battalions of The Rifles.
  6. The Rifles will not have colours and never will - as a RGJ cadet you should know your history. Look on the Rifles web site under units on for the dress regs
  7. Give the lad a chance - it was a fair question since the D&Ds and the RGBRblahblahblahs carried colours. Your right though, no way a Rifle regiment should have them.
  8. just pointing him in the right direction
  9. thanx there, basically i asked that 1 cause i dint know whether the other reg's mergin with us had colours and 2 cause we are taught that our cap badge, on which our battle honours are, are our colours. new badge no battle honours u see where im goin.

is the stable belt gonna be the same as the RGJ one (which seems the same as the LI one but then agin i dont know that much)
  10. From the Rifles web site:

Golden Threads of each of the 4 founding Regiments will be carried forward into the ceremonial dress of The Rifles. Details of their historical origins can be found in the History and Traditions pages of this site, but they are:

The Croix de Guerre of the Devonshire and Dorset Light Infantry
    The Silver Bugle of the Light Infantry
    The Back-Badge of The Royal Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire Light Infantry
    The Black Buttons of the Royal Green Jackets.
    The Back Badge will be worn on the forage cap and side hats across The Rifles and on the shako of The Rifles' Bands and Bugles. The RGBWLI TA Companies who will become part of 6 and 7 RIFLES will also be permitted to wear the distinction on their berets. Cadet detachments based in Gloucestershire, Berkshire and Wiltshire may continue to wear the Back-Badge on berets, with their Rifles cap badge, if they wish.

As far as I know the stable belt will be the same as the RGJ (non ribbed) but with a silver badge similar to the RGJ cap badge showing battle honours of the new amalgamated regiments
  11. Shame about the belt....figured the LI had it ribbed for her pleasure :D
  12. D&D - Colours
    RGBW - Colours
    LI - Colours
    RGJ - No Colours

So, not exactly a foregone conclusion that the Rifles wouldn't have colours. Indeed it was a collective decision by ALL the antecedent regiments.

Back Badge - No 1 dress hats and I believe side hats, where worn, for all regular battalions, ex-RGBW cadets and TA Coys to continue to wear back badge on berets.

The Brandywine flash (RGBW and LI battle honour) has been dropped - a pity - as a 18C night raid by Light Companies that slaughtered lots of (American) insurgents in their beds is just the sort of battle honour we should have for GWOT! :D

13. Doh!
  14. Thanks for the info guys, very interesting reading ;)
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The stable belt will not have any badge, the SD belt will have a styliesed RGJ badge. Similar to Current LI belt. The stable belt will be worn with buckles at the front, as the LI seem to now but only the RGJ did back in my day. The RGJ belt also was plain rifle green unembroidered bu the LI had vertical stitching giving a ribbed effect. I found mine last month and it still doesnt fit! It must have shrunk with age!