the rifles chosen man course

has anyone been on the chosen mans course. Could anyone shed some light on what its actually like. thanks.

P

PrinceAlbert

Day 1 - Sharpes Rifles
Day 2 - Sharpe's Eagle
Day 3 - Sharpe's Company
Day 4 - Sharpe's Enemy
Day 5 - Sharpe's Honour

You get the idea........

is it as strict as the adsc?

Does it have any significance to my application?

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
has anyone been on the chosen mans course. Could anyone shed some light on what its actually like. thanks.
Just out of interest, why are you looking at the Chosen Man course if you are going for CMT?

As for the course, it is a familiarisation visit to the RIFLES. It goes along the lines of an insight course so there will be plenty of PT, introduction to equipment, a night in a harbour area, a bit of history of the RIFLES, icebreaker chats, a visit to Catterick and more phys. They will write a brief report on you at the end of the course. It is an insight, they cannot fail you of defer your application although they will probably tell you they can while you are there.

Just out of interest, why are you looking at the Chosen Man course if you are going for CMT?

As for the course, it is a familiarisation visit to the RIFLES. It goes along the lines of an insight course so there will be plenty of PT, introduction to equipment, a night in a harbour area, a bit of history of the RIFLES, icebreaker chats, a visit to Catterick and more phys. They will write a brief report on you at the end of the course. It is an insight, they cannot fail you of defer your application although they will probably tell you they can while you are there.

i recently reapplied and want to join the rifles, one last question does anyone know if you can just book a place on one when im on holiday in england for a month and do they pay for your train ticket?

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
i recently reapplied and want to join the rifles, one last question does anyone know if you can just book a place on one when im on holiday in england for a month and do they pay for your train ticket?
You will be loaded to one by NRC, but you can tell your CSMthat you want to go on one. Not sure about the train ticket. If they are classing the event as a GAIC (General Army Insight Course) then YOU will have to pay your own way. We have not been told if it is a GAIC or not though. This question has been raised with the RIFLES and NRC but no answer as yet.

Ok thanks, I've sent an email to the rifles but ill ring up the careers office tomorrow and try and find out

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
My favourite game was drink along with Sharpe. Anytime he said bloody bastard or bugger you had to do a shot, by the end of Sharpe's rifles I was on my way to a&e.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app

D

Davetheclown

I personally think the Rifles are one of the better infantry units in the UK, really impressed by them and there no nonsense attitude. Some really hoofing blokes in the Sgts mess,

I did a Para insight course whilst on a holiday in England. The train ticket was paid for. But they needed an address to send mail too and the train ticket to. I had relatives I was staying with so had it sent to their address.
Itd pay to ring up in advance to find out when exactly courses are and to let them know your situation.

The Rifles are the best mate, no nonsense straight green soldiering proper infantry, they excluding the sas get most training away due to the sheer size of the regiment. Lots of adventure training no show parades no saluting officers no ceremonial duties no locker inspection, no cleaning or menial tasks slack as **** mate. They all chip in and have a laugh.

Go for it

Swift and Bold

The Biggest the best the main Regiment.

The Rifles
Sounds great. No ceremonials, no cleaning, no menial tasks, as much adv trg and green stuff as you want, no saluting officers, no locker inspections and slack as **** AND everyone chips in to get the job done...

Wow, a veritable pic n mix of what would appear to be all the best bits of the army. Are you sure you weren't in the RAF Regt?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

The Rifles are the best mate, no nonsense straight green soldiering proper infantry, they excluding the sas get most training away due to the sheer size of the regiment. Lots of adventure training no show parades no saluting officers no ceremonial duties no locker inspection, no cleaning or menial tasks slack as **** mate. They all chip in and have a laugh.

Go for it

Swift and Bold

The Rifles
Are there any limits to the bullshit you type?

Sent by carrier pigeon using Speckled Jim

unfortunately they're on during the second week of every month, not gonna be in england then, i might travel over in august but i dont know if they're really worth the ticket over and back.

Go for it

Swift and Bold

The Rifles
I was not Rifles, I was RGJ, but I'll let you in on a bit of a dirty little secret we had: We revelled in the reputation we had for not having any bullshit but the resultant 'slack Jacket' epithet rankled slightly. You see a relaxed approach has to be paid for with self-discipline and personal responsibility and if this was lacking, conventional bullshit was waiting in the wings to set us back on track, ie, things were relaxed, or 'slack' if you will, as long as performance was up to scratch.
The inference of much of your post is that Riflemen are 'getting away' with doing stuff which makes me think that you are missing the point slightly. You might think that you don't have to clean, present yourself properly or do things well. Until you fail to do so, when you will be fucked around just the same as any other soldier in any other unit.

I was not Rifles, I was RGJ, but I'll let you in on a bit of a dirty little secret we had: We revelled in the reputation we had for not having any bullshit but the resultant 'slack Jacket' epithet rankled slightly. You see a relaxed approach has to be paid for with self-discipline and personal responsibility and if this was lacking, conventional bullshit was waiting in the wings to set us back on track, ie, things were relaxed, or 'slack' if you will as long as performance was up to scratch.
The inference of much of your post is that Riflemen are 'getting away' with doing stuff which makes me think that you are missing the point slightly. You might think that you don't have to clean, present yourself properly or do things well. Until you fail to do so, when you will be fucked around just the same as any other soldier in any other unit.
Bang on the mark.

You were expected to give your very best at all times and god help you if you didn't. The lack of bullshit and being mucked around was earned by being excellent squaddies who gave whatever was needed whenever it was needed.

Anything less was just not acceptable as those who thought they could slack off soon found out.