The Rifles bugle cap-badge - all over Poland, of all places...

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Steven_McLaughlin, Jul 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bit of a random and off-the-wall post this and I’m not sure which forum I should place it in, but as it might amuse a few of you I thought what the hell I’ll put it here. I’ve just returned from a trip to Poland and was mildly amused, bemused and flattered to see an almost exact likeness of the prestigious Rifles regimental bugles badge, proudly stamped on literally every single private letter-box, post-box and official post-office building. The first time I clocked it was on some bloke’s gate-mail-box and I found myself staring at it and wondering if some ex-pat with an LI/RGJ/Rifles background lived there and had decided to forge himself a nice little regimental tribute. But when I saw it on numerous other houses and noticed the crown was missing I knew that couldn’t be the case. Anyway I asked my Polish pal and he told me that the bugle badge is the national symbol of mail delivery in Poland, as in the old days the postman would blow his horn as he dropped off his mail in the neighbourhood. The funny thing is it really does look like the Rifles cap-badge and the official post office version even has a cool looking ‘recce-flash’ bolting through it! I’ve posted a few pictures below so you can check it out for yourself. Apologies if this slightly weird posting is in the wrong forum but these ever-present bugle symbols - in Poland of all places - really made this ex-Rifleman smile.

Attached Files:

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

So, the antecedents of the much vaunted Rifles were nothing more than glorified posties!!! :)
  3. Or the German Post Office:

Attached Files:

4. It would seem that way Auld-Yin. Honestly I couldn’t quite believe it because these badges were literally everywhere. There were a few nice-looking mint silver ones outside some luxurious new pads, but as I already looked highly dubious taking pictures of peoples private letterboxes, I thought I’d best not risk any more suspicious glares off the locals wondering what the hell this weird bloke was doing taking pictures of their private residences! That’s why a few of them are a bit blurry – I snapped them in an embarrassed hurry. Got to admit the post-office one looks pretty damn cool and warry with those lightning flashes and I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the recce-platoons had designed itself an unofficial similar ‘Polish postman’s badge’. Oops…
  5. Which is aimed toward the East...^_~
    • Like Like x 1
  6. There's a lot of countries that use the logo for the postal service, it's function in its day was like a siren "Getoutoftheway". It was adopted on the battlefield because it's loud, light, portable and reasonably simple to get a noise out of it.
  7. Did all the BAOR postings close down before you were sent there, fella?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sounds like you're talking about a paratrooper.
    • Like Like x 7
  9. It's called a post horn and if you'd ever been to a posite Sqn bar theres nearly always one over the door and funnily enough the bar is called the Post horn!
  10. Post horns, at least in the UK, were originally straight. I suspect that they became their current shape when a local peasant, pissed off by being forced off the road once too often, wrapped it around the postie's neck...
  11. Call me picky and as an ex green job, I might be a bit more discerning but, I think it looks **** all like the Rifles cap badge!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. and we'll be knocking on your door soon Auld-Yin, and if you're not in - we'll be giving your missus the good news instead ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  13. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Makes you wonder though, what do the poles think "British Army, even the posties have to fight!"
  14. Anyone who has driven in Poland knows that being forced off the road is almost a daily occurance. I will get myself one of those horns as it may give me a better chance when negotiating their incredible driving and general motoring madness.
  15. In order to counter Napoleon's light infantry (the chassuers) the British Army introduced their own light infantry derived initially from mercenaries from Germany and the Low Countries. Eventually a British light infantry company was formed based on"Hompesch's Light Infantry under their existing Lieutenant-Colonel, Baron Francis de Rottenberg". As these soldiers fought not in formations but in loose groups they used a bugle rather than a drum to communicate orders, the bulge horn cap badge of British light infantry units was adopted 1797 from the Hanoverian Jager regiments. Therefore no surprise to see the bugle horn in Germany and elsewhere, including Poland as this state didn’t exist then, it was part of Prussia.