The Return of the ARRSE Gallery, and a little confusion as an added bonus

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Dec 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

After however many months and not inconsiderable pain, the old ARRSE gallery is back.

Since the move to the new site we've been using a modified version of the personal albums system that is part of a user profile. We've got rid of that, but what we're left with is a little confusing.

You have your personal albums which are part of your profile, eg. http://www.arrse.co.uk/members/good+co-albums.html . These can be public or private, and also can be owned by groups.

Then the main gallery - similar but much better than the gallery on the old site. Pictures grouped by subject rather than user and open to the world to see.

It hasn't been exhaustively tested and I had some peculiarities with my own pictures. Bugs here please.

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I can't seem to view a main gallery it looks like I can only view someone's gallery if I know it's there and access through their profile page.

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Now sorted.
    No idea if you did anything or it just corrected itself at either your end or mine.

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Is the Gallery down due to weight of snow? I can't see it on the toolbar - any update?

5. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Having a few teething problems with the bloody thing. Is now sorted - but for how long? Not a clue.

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Oh no it isn't!!!

Must keep up with the festive spirit.

7. This might be a stupid question but how do you add a comment to a pic? I clicked a little toolbar at the top right of the image and it said "comment this image" but it said I didn't have sufficient privileges when I clicked on it

8. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Hmm, not sure why that link isn't working properly. A much better way of adding comments (or at least one that works!) is to scroll down to the comments area:

comment.jpg

9. Don't seem to have that area on my page at all BCO

This is how my screen looks under the description box;

Attached Files:

10. Bad CO

Further to my last this issue should now be resolved - no more missing comments area either!

For an added bonus, both the User Pics & The Truth Behind the Username galleries are fully browsable once again!

11. thanks for this, much, much better.

12. Bad CO

Nice to see that use of the new Gallery is starting to pick up. We've also has some 'interesting' new additions in the Body Art section courtesy of new user meowee.

[​IMG]

13. Thanks BCO much appreciated. I've noticed that the gallery seems to 'come and go' from the toolbar at the top of arrse pages just wondering if that's meant to happen?

14. Bad CO

Yup that is a very frustrating bug that we haven't managed to cure. The gallery is always there though .... even if missing from the top bar - linky

15. Ah, good. I though that was just me losing my mind yesterday looking for the gallery on the top bar. Knew it was there - sometimes!

Q.