The Restaurant - BBC2

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Andy_Caps_Commando, Oct 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, Raymond Blanc entices us to the screen again for the third series, The Restaurant and last night was no different to the last couple of series we have seen. One couple even tried to open a tin with a 10" cooks knife :? and yes, there was two lads from the Army (1 chef & 1 Log Spec) didn't do to bad, apart from the sauce they tried to make but he was all over the place.

The next few episodes should be interesting:

The Restaurant

2. The RLC "chef" didn't know how to remove salt from his gravy (bought gravy - couldn't make a gravy himself); I'd call him a cook. Acted a bit of a throbber as well to be honest.

3. Did he rap any customers over the hand with a ladle whilst shouting " Only one sausage".

4. i watched that, the lad was swanning round in his maroon lid giving it big licks, a classic hat

5. Sat stationary behind his mucker whilst being interviewed does not make for 'swanning around'

I saw him mostly in whites with a red paper(?) chefs hat thing

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Anyone else notice the Loggie chef was promoted by the BBC to Seargent but wore Corporal tabs?...

7. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Yup. Nice touch I thought.

Still thought it was class to see the lack of common sense on the part of the two lasses trying to open the tin, but the highlight for me was the serving of Asda (of all things) economy smoked salmon and some grated veg by the people that wanted to open the Scandinavian themed restaurant.

He's Raymond Blanc. He has Michelin stars. How do you think that you are going to get away with that?

8. I don't know if it's the grumpy old man coming out in me, but I get so turned off by these efforts.

These programmes have legions of researchers to weed people out. If we have all these researchers, then surely people who think that the cheapest of the cheap is good enough, or people who can't operate a can opener (did you see the attempts at opening the coconut!) or even people who don't even have a name (or theme) for their restaurant wouldn't be able to get through, would they?

Hmm...is it all about suitable candidates to run a restaurant - or is it about insulting the intelligence of your viewers in a vein attempt at entertainment?

Answers on the back of an oxo please.....

9. I was thinkng along the same lines as Hairy Fairy. The previous series seem to have had people who could actually cook. Now it seems to a decended into the world of Big Brother, where it is more important to have 'weird-ratings catching' on than people who do and could seriously make a go of it. Will watch one or two more, but if the standard doesn't improve, well then its back to 'Dave' and the top gear repeats

10. Pretty sure i recognise badger. Seem to remember an RLC or might have been far enough back for him to have been RAOC, with that nickname due to a silver patch of hair at 16 AD Rgt RA up at Kirton in Lindsey.

11. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Wonder what the Army guys are going to call their 'establishment'....

"Loggie Slops"
    "The Slop Chute"

12. Barrington & Badger's. And they won Restaurant of the week and they were quite good compared to some of the others. We'll wait and see as next week's episode has the two of them falling out!

13. they were all awful, these two just werent as awful as the others!

As for the maroon lid bit, i saw that too. How about the nipping into see the RSM to drum up some (non-complaining) customers! Thats the way ahead.

14. I'll give it another week, but the cynic in me remains.

How the hell the two hooray henry's didn't get booted is beyond me.

Indoor picnic food??? A chef who doesn't want to/can't cook. Please.

At least the girls who got booted had a clue.

15. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Totally agree - I was shouting at the screen every time the little twats did their hand-slapping high five routine. :roll:

Sadly I suspect it's because they make better telly than the two girls who were a bit clueless but also a bit dull. My money is now on the hoorays to stay till the last three while other duller couples bite the dust.