The Republican Party Reptile is no more - P J O'Rourke RIP

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Sad news for hilarious, thought-provoking, readable journalism, tobacconists and whisky producers around the world: P J O'Rourke has pegged out following a battle with lung cancer.

If there's an afterlife, he'll now be propping up a bar where the disreputable angels hang out, taking the p1ss out of God, St Peter and Satan, and making them laugh about it. For anyone who hasn't read his books, I heartily recommend them,and it's a good rule of thumb of mine that someone who can read his recount of being a war correspondent for Rolling Stone Magazine in the Gulf War without laughing out loud is not someone I want to go on the p1ss with.

So farewell PJ, hopefully your recipes for Dog food fried rice and Spice Slumgullion will go to the grave with you.

RIP.

Chef

LE
That's a shame he wrote some good stuff, Give war a chance, was excellent.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
"Seriousness is stupidity gone to college."

With the exception of a couple of duds (Enemies List), a new P J O'Rourke book was always a treat.

I always liked "giving power and responsibility to governments is like giving whisky & car keys to a teenage boy". I think someone on here's got it as their autosig.

RIP to the last of the Gonzos

Chef

LE
'Some women are physically excited by a mechanical vibrating device. It's known as a Mercedes-Benz SL 500'

Close enough to his phrase

I have quite few of his books and I still find The Bachelor Home Companion very funny. Which is annoying as it’s the only one I cannot find.

“If you can tie knots in your carrots they are not fresh.“

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
PJ O'Rourke on the relative sexual fantasy-worthiness of fascism: "No woman ever fantasised about being tied to a bed and ravished by a jackbooted Liberal"

True words of wisdom here:

"Also, it’s important to be drunk because being drunk keeps your body all loose, and that way, if you have an accident or anything, you’ll sort of roll with the punches and not get banged up so bad. For example, there was this guy I heard about who was really drunk and was driving through the Adirondacks. He got sideswiped by a bus and went head-on into another car, which knocked him off a bridge, and he plummeted 150 feet into a ravine. I mean, it killed him and everything, but if he hadn’t been so drunk and loose, his body probably would have been banged up a lot worse – and you can imagine how much more upset his wife would have been when she went down to the morgue to identify him.

Even more important than being drunk, however, is having the right car. You have to get a car that handles really well. This is extremely important, and there’s a lot of debate on this subject – about what kind of car handles best. Some say a front-engined car; some say a rear-engined car. I say a rented car. Nothing handles better than a rented car. You can go faster, turn corners sharper, and put the transmission into reverse while going forward at a higher rate of speed in a rented car than in any other kind. You can also park without looking, and can use the trunk as an ice chest. Another thing about a rented car is that it’s an all-terrain vehicle. Mud, snow, water, woods – you can take a rented car anywhere. True, you can’t always get it back – but that’s not your problem, is it?"

The man should have started a religion, I mean FFS if L. Ron Hubbard got rich off his BS, PJ's schtick is much more sellable.
Also, don't buy ex rental cars.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
"The example of efficiency that economists usually use is guns and butter. A society can produce guns and butter, they say, but if the society wants to produce more guns it will have to - because of distribution of resources, capital and labour - produce less butter. Using this example, you'll notice that, at the far reaches of gun-producing efficiency, howitzers are being manufactured by cows. And this is just one of the reasons we can't take economists too seriously."

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
His early writings in National Lampoon still amuse ...

1645016540970.png

Last edited:
That's a shame he wrote some good stuff, Give war a chance, was excellent.
From said book, after he got back from the Persian Gulf in 1990.

From there I’d driven across hundreds of miles of stupid desert in a disposable diaper of a Korean rental car and finagled a ride out of Dhahran on an airliner chartered by an English TV company to take its people and gear to the next place foreigners decide to get killed.

It didn’t seem like it had been a short war at that particular moment, not after two months with the arrogant, lazy Saudi Arabians and nothing to drink. We charter passengers were into the Johnnie Walker miniatures before the plane cleared the runway, and grown men, adult broadcasting executives with serious jobs in a large corporation were kneeling in their seats, trying to swill from three or four little Scotch bottles at once and screaming out the windows at the diminishing landscape, “FUCK YOU, YOU MOVING TEA TOWELS.”

SO110369

Old-Salt
He also wrote for Car and Driver (before it lost the plot). A number of his articles have now been rereleased on their website after his passing. Worth a look.

A brilliantly funny man.

I've been enjoying the whole shebang. This one from the Greek page made me laugh.

An Anecdote Illustrating Something of the Greek Character:
An ignorant peasant girl marries a man who's been in the Greek navy for twenty years. After their third anniversary, her mother starts to worry because the girl still isn't pregnant. "Why are you not with child, daughter?" she asks. "Does not your husband make the love to you?"
"Of course:' says the girl, blushing deeply, "but ... but ... to tell the truth, Mother, I just can't keep from shitting afterwards."

Latest Threads