The REME and their relationship with regiments

#1
When your attached to a regiment as a LAD are you considered part of that regiment as in you do your tours on their time and join in with things like home coming parades.

Having trouble finding information about how the REME are organised to do their job. I'm talking more specifically about the Armourer position.

If anyone has any info i'd appreciate it.
 
E

EScotia

Guest
#3
REME are generally very well integrated in the unit they are attached to and deploy on exercise, tours etc with their parent squadrons/companys. The relationship in units between REME and regiments depends largely on personalities in place at the time.
 
#4
Members of an LAD are fully integrated in the unit they are attached to. Whether you deploy with the unit or not will depend on the role of the unit on the tour, for example, if a tank regiment is deploying in an infantry role, they may not take all the VMs, technicians and other trades.

You will always be included in regimental events, the LAD usually does pretty well in any sports comps, much to the ire of the regiment...

In 20 years, I always enjoyed being part of a unit LAD. I think I was fortunate never to serve in a bad regiment.
 
#5
We have a very good relationship at our unit with all the fitter sections intergrated into the Sqns infact it was the only thing we got a green on the recent eci on, failed every thing else miserably lol :D
 
#6
Ah well that's encouraged me more. Sounds like a laugh, at first I heard being part of a LAD was not too plesant. But now it sounds good I was worried I wouldn't get to know and involved with the regiment I'd be attached to but seems I was wrong.

Cheers for the answers.

Any of your own experiences relating to the thread would be good to hear if you have them to tell.
 
#7
LAD life is usually pretty good. As far as integration into the regiment goes provided you can live up to their soldiering standards (you will have to on ex or ops) then you are generally respected for your specialist capabilities. The only time I can remember any minor rubs were when LAD hierarchy tried to purposfully set itself apart as a seperate Unit as opposed to a sub Unit. This was almost always accompanied by an empire building OC who tended to be a complete c*ck and unfortunately there are plenty of those. It just depends upon whose opinion they value the most, CO or Bde. Live with this and you can live with anything.
Whatever is said you will have a more fulfilling life attached to a teeth arms regt than a REME one.
 
#8
From my own experiences from quite a few years back was that REME in small doses ie: LAD was far better than large doses ie: armd wksps.
 
#9
Nige said:
Members of an LAD are fully integrated in the unit they are attached to. Whether you deploy with the unit or not will depend on the role of the unit on the tour, for example, if a tank regiment is deploying in an infantry role, they may not take all the VMs, technicians and other trades.

You will always be included in regimental events, the LAD usually does pretty well in any sports comps, much to the ire of the regiment...

In 20 years, I always enjoyed being part of a unit LAD. I think I was fortunate never to serve in a bad regiment.
Aye you even get to wear the Regimental paraphenalia eh Nige 8)
 
#13
Look after the company commander's car and you're sorted. Do it during a PRE inspection and your career is stacked.

Can give you a warm feeling when the CO rejects the OC LAD's CR comments but only lasts until you're posted of course!

Integrate and enjoy!
 
#14
Eight Lives Down, informative book with comments on the reme in afghanistan -- not very flattery i am afraid
 
#15
Joln in with them and enjoy it.

Think of yourself as Supporting Arms and not Attached Arms.

Remember you are there to serve them.

However your not there to be subserviant, (spelling)?

Remember their pedigree is probably a lot more established than yours.
 
#16
Due to 2nd Fld Regt having M109s at the time we had our own workshop in which all the Bty's had their own LAD's, this led to us having a great relationship with our spanner mates and they were a solid part of our Bty, except on the sports field, where we regularly gave them a good hiding...Seriously though, 46 Bty had a great LAD and our fitters and VMs were quality, reliable and good at their jobs aswell as cracking blokes, which is all you could ask for :)

On the same complex was 6 Armd workshops, they were decidedly miserable and kept themselves pretty much to themselves, or at least that was how it appeared, and many of our VMs were heard to say that they did not want to end up there! My son is a REME l/cpl and has said pretty much the same thing about 2nd and 3rd line postings, ie he never want to end up in one of them...I wonder why that is? Is it the empire building ethos mentioned earlier??
 
#17
Gutta_Percha said:
Joln in with them and enjoy it.

Think of yourself as Supporting Arms and not Attached Arms.

Remember you are there to serve them.

However your not there to be subserviant, (spelling)?

Remember their pedigree is probably a lot more established than yours.
Pedigree? What a pricktastic comment. How the fcuck can you say that?
 
#18
I think Gutta may be reffering to fact that many Regiments have a history that goes further back than 1942.

I know REME can trace it's history further back through RAOC etc. but I think that may be the comment in context.
 
#19
If you ever get attached to 'The Guards', and have to parade on the square with them on a Monday morning it is advisable to have both eyebrows. :(
 
#20
hairyarse2 said:
If you ever get attached to 'The Guards', and have to parade on the square with them on a Monday morning it is advisable to have both eyebrows. :(
Go on..............
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ventress The Intelligence Cell 0
H The Intelligence Cell 29
B The Intelligence Cell 2

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top