The Remainer march in London today.

So, you don't want a second referendum, but you do? Confused I am.:rolleyes:
"I don't want another referendum to happen but wanting a referendum on the final deal is a reasonable position", i.e.,
(a) there are two opposing positions on whether such a referendum should happen;
(b) the one (one) I favour is the one you agree with;
(c) it's possible for people to have legitimate grounds for holding an opinion I don't like, & I've acknowledged that in this case.

"I don't want another referendum to happen but wanting a referendum on the final deal is a reasonable position", i.e.,
(a) there are two opposing positions on whether such a referendum should happen;
(b) the one (one) I favour is the one you agree with;
(c) it's possible for people to have legitimate grounds for holding an opinion I don't like, & I've acknowledged that in this case.
Let me guess, you want the new referendum options to be:

*Yes to the deal
*No to the deal, we'll remain status quo

:rolleyes:

They had a march, most of the country took no notice as will most of the political class, sure the chattering class will write a few articles and tweet links or what ever however the country moves forward.

I am just trying to think of when a protest changed any thing, Poll Tax riots are about the only one I can think of.
Poll tax riots were just a skirmish in a long battle. 15m people NOT paying the Poll Tax defeated the Poll Tax.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Errmm!
How many stupid questions can Arrse come up with in a day?
HTF should I know.
You mean you didn't, like every other Remainer, count each and every one until you reached 700k; didn't matter if you counted people twice, it's the number that matters!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Let me guess, you want the new referendum options to be:

*Yes to the deal

:rolleyes:
Not quite as it is possible Leave might still win so it is more likely to be

*Yes we leave and yes to the deal
*Yes we leave but not with the deal

That splits the Leave vote thus giving Remain a straight run! :rolleyes:. Sneaky barstewards these Remainers :jocolor:

Funny that it was not reported as a ¨Far Left¨ march which it would have been if it had been a Leave march. I had the displeasure of attempting to traverse central london yesterday morning and was surrounded by them.

One girl on the tube had a T-shirt on that said ¨Migrants Welcome¨ on the front and on the back she had a badge for some Womans rights party which amused me no end. Yep, she wants womans rights but also to flood the country with Muslim men.

People this stupid cannot be taken seriously and thankfully, in spite of this march being organised by the Far Left media outlets (Independent, Guardian etc...), protesting achieves nothing in this country. There will be no second vote. Only a bitter struggle to get a No Deal exit once it becomes clear that we are going to get fucked by the EU and TM with their deal.
Your paranoia is showing. You translated 'Migrants' into 'Muslims' in your mind.

This is Tommy Robinson syndrome or Yaxley-Lennon Psychosis.

Nailed it:

Those agitating for a 'people's vote' on the result of the negotiated settlement also want to include the option to remain in the EU. This is the crux of the issue. It is less about the terms on which we withdraw and more about having another referendum, something that, in public at least, the leaders of all the parties say we should not have as the result of the referendum must be respected.

Were there to be a people's vote (second referendum), and I don't agree that there ought to be, it should again be a binary choice. Accept or reject the terms of the negotiated settlement. Nothing else.

It would then be up to the politicians to sell us the benefits of leaving within the terms of the agreed settlement and from what I've seen and heard over the months since the result of the referendum was announced I don't believe I could trust them to tell the truth.

Stupid idea as there won't be another referendum and there shouldn't be as we've already had one.
People should shut up about it and concentrate on trying to get behind UK in getting a good deal which our government leaders seem incapable of doing.
This has been the problem, they won't. The process has been beset by many politicians across all political divides actively trying to undermine achieving a good deal for the UK and agitating for another referendum because they don't like the result of the first one.

Back to the march.

Linky to the beeb article

The attendance figure of around 700,000 was an estimate given by the stewards, so no bias or exaggeration there then. The Met police couldn't put a figure on it.

Looking at the pro-EU banners and flags this march was not about a vote on the terms of leaving but a protest march supporting remaining in the EU.

It seems to have gone down pretty peacefully - I've not seen reports of any conflict - but had there been a march in central London organised by those supporting Leave I am sure the usual rent-a-mob would have turned up en masse to cause disruption.

There was, apparently, a march in Harrogate in support of Brexit but hardly deemed newsworthy by the beeb as it gets nothing more than a brief mention.

The march was held at the same time as a pro-Brexit rally in Harrogate, organised by the group Leave Means Leave and led by former UKIP leader Nigel Farage.

Mr Farage said: "The evidence suggests about a third of those that voted remain now say we're democrats and think the government should simply get on with it.

"And that's our message - get on with it, fulfil your promises to us, you said if we voted to leave it would happen, it needs to."

Hardly balanced reporting from the BBC but we've come to expect that, especially compared to the weight of negative reports churned out over Brexit by the Corporation.

Maybe that nice and effective Cowardly Cameron will come back.

I do believe this generation is the one that will be the first in a long line of Totally Fucked.
As the EU appears to already be totally fucked, Im happy to take the risk of chancing it alone.

Maybe that nice and effective Cowardly Cameron will come back.

I do believe this generation is the one that will be the first in a long line of Totally Fucked.
The problems facing young people today are problems irrespective of our membership of the EU. Membership of the EU had little or no impact on a shortage of affordable housing, or on there being more graduates than graduate jobs. Indeed, allowing cheap foreign labour to flood the UK actively harmed those young people who were not academic and relied upon low-skilled jobs.
16 year old Tristrum worrying that he might have to apply for a visa the next time he goes skiing Austria is not a reason to abandon Brexit. And if, for once, the middle classes suffer some discomfort, that's tough (not a remark aimed at you, op).

Not quite as it is possible Leave might still win so it is more likely to be

*Yes we leave and yes to the deal
*Yes we leave but not with the deal

That splits the Leave vote thus giving Remain a straight run! :rolleyes:. Sneaky barstewards these Remainers :jocolor:
Do you really think there will be a status quo? IMO there will be a requirement to join the Euro at the very least and anything else Brussels thinks they can squeeze out of us.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Do you really think there will be a status quo? IMO there will be a requirement to join the Euro at the very least and anything else Brussels thinks they can squeeze out of us.
Yer not wrong. Their finance minister had already said the rebate will go!

At this point I don't know which I find more irritating - the paranoia & hyperbole of hardcore remain supporters or the paranoia & hyperbole of hardcore leave supporters.

Nearly half the electorate voted to remain & a portion of 'leave' voters might not have voted the way they did if it had been a referendum on the terms of the final deal. It's a bit much to imply that approximately half the electorate is some sort of 5th column. I don't want another referendum to happen but wanting a referendum on the final deal is a reasonable position. What are the reasons for thinking that it's unreasonable? That a referendum already happened? Firstly, things change & new information comes to light. Who argued that, in light of the electorate's endorsement of the party that won the, say, 1997 general election, there should have been no subsequent general elections? Secondly, the previous referendum wasn't on the same question. Thirdly, a referendum on the final deal would give people the opportunity to know exactly what they're voting for.

The basis for objecting to another referendum seems to boil down to the possibility that a majority of the electorate may vote against what leave supporters want. Well, as I & many other leave supporters pointed out last time round, bad luck, that's democracy.

As someone who hopes the UK leaves the EU with the greatest possible success (leading to more nations leaving) I've been very disappointed with the poor quality of argument for the leave position, much of which being unserious, inconsistent (e.g., goal-post moving), straw-manning (e.g., portraying the highly technical concerns voiced by economists as 'fearmongering about famine & pestilence'), demonology & snarling that is guaranteed to persuade absolutely no one. If the 2nd referendum does happen & the outcome is a message to Brussels along the lines of 'we changed our minds' a lot of the blame for that outcome should lie with my fellow leave supporters.
They don't want a vote on the final deal. They want a vote on whether or not to honour the first referendum.

When the site bellends on ignore try to get your attention by bashing the bellend button::cool:

brex.JPG

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P The Intelligence Cell 128
Auld-Yin The Book Club 2
Mech_Eng ARRSE: Site Issues 21