The Remainer march in London today.

That’s ridiculous and misleading. Would you jump out of an airworthy aircraft without a parachute? Of course you wouldn’t.

To suggest we have to leave the EU before we can negotiate a trade deal is seriously misleading and falls well within the definition of what many regard as “fake news.”

Yet another example of crass misinformation from those who will say anything to get us out.
Best you do your homework then.

Here's a clue

Does Britain have to leave the EU before it makes a trade deal?

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Oh hi Jacob. I didn’t realise you were a member of ARRSE!
By Jacob I take it you are making a reference to Jacob Rees-Mogg although I fail to see what that has to do with me or do you think everyone who disagrees with you should be likened to that odious little turd?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
That was a statement from the EU over two years ago at the start of it all. If you had been paying attention, you would have seen that events have moved on considerably.

Do try to keep up.

Brexit compromise still possible - Tusk
Compromise is still possible - Tusk. Sub text "Only if it means that the UK will still be subject to Brussels and give them loads of money".

You missed the point entirely by thinking the option to remain in another referendum, however well disguised you think it may be, was anything but another weak attempt to continue voting until you get the result you want.

Try not to further embarrass yourself.
Agreed. The call for a so called peoples vote is nothing more than an attempt to overturn a democratic vote.

The result is in. Tough.

That was a statement from the EU over two years ago at the start of it all. If you had been paying attention, you would have seen that events have moved on considerably.

Do try to keep up.

Brexit compromise still possible - Tusk
That is the debate over the withdrawal issues.

Events have not moved on at all in relation to the subsequent trade deal, so in respect of this thread there is little point having a referendum on the deal till there is a deal to vote on. And there is nothing that I have seen ( including your link) that updates the BBC Fact Checker (if there were, then it would be reasonable to see the BBC Fact Checker service suitably updated)

The real issue here is that this rather inconvenient situation seems to be ignored by virtually every commentator, yet seems to me to be fundamental. All along the EU have said withdrawal arrangements first, then trade. Nothing has changed.

edited to add...

when jumping out of an aircraft make sure you have the parachute not the seat cushion.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I’ve thought it through completely.

I can also detect the panic in your post as you turn green at the gills at the thought of the possibility that people may make a different decision if facts are used when they consider what way to vote rather than not really having a clue what will happen if they vote to leave.

The wording on the ballot would be easy. This is what the government have negotiated. Should we stay or should we go. Place your mark in the appropriate box.
Why would a second referendum have more validity than the first? And why should we not have a third referendum after that?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd prefer the government to decide how big the document would have to be. It should be concise and precise.

The vote is a simple one. This is the deal on the table. Should we go or should we leave.
Why should there be a more forensic dissection of the decision to leave than there was of the decision to remain in 1975?

Just for clarification we cannot negotiate a trade deal till we have left. We can talk about one, we might even be able to get some broad intent into the withdrawal agreement.

But we cannot have a deal, so "voting on the deal" before we leave is a non sequitur
At this point, what would happen if we just went ahead a negotiated a trade deal and then waited until we had left before signing off? What are the EU going to do, throw us out?

This is precisely the sort of behaviour that we are no longer compelled to abide by. We can negotiate a trade deal with non EU members and there is nothing that the EU can do about it. It is long past the time that we take the Trump approach to this and take charge of the situation.

At this point, what would happen if we just went ahead a negotiated a trade deal and then waited until we had left before signing off? What are the EU going to do, throw us out?

This is precisely the sort of behaviour that we are no longer compelled to abide by. We can negotiate a trade deal with non EU members and there is nothing that the EU can do about it. It is long past the time that we take the Trump approach to this and take charge of the situation.
My understanding is that we could do the groundwork and sign it off the moment we leave. I suspect (but have no hard evidence) that we are doing just that.

My previous post related to the much discussed trade deal with the EU, and pretty much the same applies. It cannot be signed till we have left and only then when it is agreed by all 27. So demanding a pre- leave vote on "the deal" is just a smokescreen for a second in/ out referendum.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Regardless of what anyone thinks of the referendum result, to undermine it would render every subsequent voting outcome void.
One day the Remainers* will understand that it's no longer about the result of the referendum but that they are tampering with far more profound issues. The worry is that that day will not dawn soon enough.

@apologies to @Dan Gleebles

Last edited:
But not a clue what to do once we’ve done so. How clever and in the interests of the prosperity of us all is that!

UKIP = Muppets!
Are you on glue? UKIP were/are not in government, didn't call the referendum and were not included in the official campaign groups.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
That’s ridiculous and misleading. Would you jump out of an airworthy aircraft without a parachute? Of course you wouldn’t.

To suggest we have to leave the EU before we can negotiate a trade deal is seriously misleading and falls well within the definition of what many regard as “fake news.”

Yet another example of crass misinformation from those who will say anything to get us out.
Would you stay in an aircraft knowing that it lacks sufficient fuel to reach a safe destination and you had a parachute?

The choice is in or out and, by any objective standard, the circumstances of an independent UK or the EU ten years from now are unknowable, so kindly stop pretending otherwise with your bogus choices.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P The Intelligence Cell 128
Auld-Yin The Book Club 2
Mech_Eng ARRSE: Site Issues 21