Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The Remainer march in London today.

It is being widely reported, particularly by the BBC of the huge numbers of marchers in London demanding a second referendum.

I spent most of today cycling in through and around large numbers of these, ending up spending a very pleasant afternoon in Hyde Park as did a large number of them.

What was fascinating to me were the abnormaly large numbers of non-English/British marchers. The bulk seemed to be European.

We do have huge numbers of Europeans, particularly in London, and I do not find it at all surprising that they should wish the UK to continue being the cash cow for Europe. What does piss me off is the remainers who feel that this represents the majority of ‘Britains’ in the country.

Not only is it as unconstitutional as the EU is, but it is a blatant 5th column event within this country that gives an unrepresentative picture of how the situation in being manipulated by both press and the minority who lost a democratic vote.

I don't think the Remainers realise what they're kicking off there. If the UK decides to ditch leaving the EU, it'll have to re-apply for membership. That'll mean adopting the euro, for one thing, but any membership will be under far worse conditions than before. And anyway, who'd want to be a part of such an authoritarian, anti-democratic outfit ruled over by unelected autocrats who're in bed with the big banks.

MsG

I don't think the Remainers realise what they're kicking off there. If the UK decides to ditch leaving the EU, it'll have to re-apply for membership. That'll mean adopting the euro, for one thing, but any membership will be under far worse conditions than before. And anyway, who'd want to be a part of such an authoritarian, anti-democratic outfit ruled over by unelected autocrats who're in bed with the big banks.

MsG
As opposed to the elected autocrats who are in bed with the big banks we are going to get?

Looks like a classic astro-turfing event to me. The Remainers assert that all manner of implausible calamity will immediately befall the UK should Brexit happen as the majority voted for. Given that the UK is the world's fifth or sixth largest economy in it's own right and currently buys more from the rest of the EU than the reverse and is one of only 3 nett contributors to the EU's coffers, the EU have a clear vested interest in putting the frighteners on the UK voters. By any means available.

The EU needs Britain more than Britain needs the EU.

Hence the EU declaring that the sky will fall on us ,the economy will collapse, and we will be ravaged by famine and pestilence if we leave.

The parasite is getting cleared off its host and is terrified.

Yup, and all the other countries in the EU are watching closely to see what happens to the UK, and if it's favourable, they'll be banging out ASAP. Mutti Merkel and Macron really dont want that to happen.

What was fascinating to me were the abnormaly large numbers of non-English/British marchers. The bulk seemed to be European..

It was mentioned around the time of the French elections that London was the X largest French city by population. I think this was a little tongue in cheek but the point was that lots of French like living in the UK and not France.

The EU needs Britain more than Britain needs the EU.

Hence the EU declaring that the sky will fall on us ,the economy will collapse, and we will be ravaged by famine and pestilence if we leave.

Nothing to add, I just thought everyone should read it again.

I personally voted remain, for which I have my reasons.

However, a democratic vote was held, and a decision was reached, regardless of how small a majority. Cameron rolled the dice and got snake eyes.

I for one firmly believe in a democracy where the results stand and our elected government do the best to get us a fair deal.

Otherwise we become like the moaning mates of wee jimmy, and keep asking for a referendum until we get the result we want!

We should be focusing on post brexit, not trying to overturn the democratically reached decision.

MB

At this point I don't know which I find more irritating - the paranoia & hyperbole of hardcore remain supporters or the paranoia & hyperbole of hardcore leave supporters.

Nearly half the electorate voted to remain & a portion of 'leave' voters might not have voted the way they did if it had been a referendum on the terms of the final deal. It's a bit much to imply that approximately half the electorate is some sort of 5th column. I don't want another referendum to happen but wanting a referendum on the final deal is a reasonable position. What are the reasons for thinking that it's unreasonable? That a referendum already happened? Firstly, things change & new information comes to light. Who argued that, in light of the electorate's endorsement of the party that won the, say, 1997 general election, there should have been no subsequent general elections? Secondly, the previous referendum wasn't on the same question. Thirdly, a referendum on the final deal would give people the opportunity to know exactly what they're voting for.

The basis for objecting to another referendum seems to boil down to the possibility that a majority of the electorate may vote against what leave supporters want. Well, as I & many other leave supporters pointed out last time round, bad luck, that's democracy.

As someone who hopes the UK leaves the EU with the greatest possible success (leading to more nations leaving) I've been very disappointed with the poor quality of argument for the leave position, much of which being unserious, inconsistent (e.g., goal-post moving), straw-manning (e.g., portraying the highly technical concerns voiced by economists as 'fearmongering about famine & pestilence'), demonology & snarling that is guaranteed to persuade absolutely no one. If the 2nd referendum does happen & the outcome is a message to Brussels along the lines of 'we changed our minds' a lot of the blame for that outcome should lie with my fellow leave supporters.