The Religious Order of the OTC (?)

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by pintsize, Nov 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This was a conversation piece I was entertained to a while back. Out of boredom, I've come to think of tonight.

Is the OTC acult or display cult like tendencies?

Here is a dictionary definition:

cult n.

1. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
    2. The followers of such a religion or sect.
    2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
    3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
    4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
    1. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
    2. The object of such devotion.
    6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

OTC sounds very much like a CULT to me!! Not sure how true it extends to other units... discuss! 8O

2. that'll be a no then short stuff......see i said moved up north was bad for you

3. msr

msr LE

- A close-knit organisation with strict rules and requirements for membership
    - Dynamic leaders who exercise control and influence over members' lives
    - Numerous activities which take up significant amounts of time
    - Ritualistic activities, possibly including the wearing of special clothing
    - Training and other activities which may be physically and emotionally draining
    - Strong peer pressure in the group to achieve specific goals and obey the leader
    - Requirements to make sacrifices for the good of the group
    - Active recruiting efforts
    - Promises of rewards, and other benefits for complying with the demands of the group

-Many cults teach their followers to be completely open and truthful within the group, while at the same time they are encouraged to be secretive and evasive when questioned by people outside of the group

-Members are taught that outsiders wouldn't understand or that they would only make fun of the ideas and practices and requirements for living within the group

OTC, it's just a bunch of students.

msr

4. Looking at some OTC's including the 2 ive been a member of, i wouldnt say the rules are strict :wink:

5. Lookin at where you are from, you can talk!

6. course i can....its part of the genes. Or shall we speak to "your" JUO to confirm that????

7. - A close-knit organisation with strict rules and requirements for membership
    - Dynamic leaders who exercise control and influence over members' lives
    - Numerous activities which take up significant amounts of time
    - Ritualistic activities, possibly including the wearing of special clothing
    - Training and other activities which may be physically and emotionally draining
    - Strong peer pressure in the group to achieve specific goals and obey the leader
    - Requirements to make sacrifices for the good of the group
    - Active recruiting efforts
    - Promises of rewards, and other benefits for complying with the demands of the group

Looking at this list, yes it would seem OTCs are cult-like.

Then I spot the second one (highlighted) down and I see your fears are groundless. After all, what's the difference between the OTC and the Boy Scout movement? The Scouts have adult leadership...