The religious are idiots...

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by Timble, Aug 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 5
  1. Twas always the same.......

2. They are also likely not to need the media to tell them that they are brighter than average.

• Like Like x 5
  3. I reckon a polygraph test run on senior clergy would be very instructive.

• Like Like x 2
  4. As a high IQ idiot I can see there is a very large conflation of faith/religion/belief/practice in these tests. I'm not suggesting they are not right - common sense would say they are - but be careful what you believe (yes, I know what I am saying.)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Interesting looking at the locations of the respondents in the comments section.

6. Talk to your invisible friend and you are either a child or just a bit simple.
    When your invisible friend starts answering back then you are getting a bit strange.
    When you start acting on the advice/orders your invisible friend gives you then you are now dangerously unbalanced.
    When you start trying to persaude other people to do as your invisible friend says then you are now certifiably insane.
    When you start using force either moral or physical to force people to do as your invisible friend says then you are the clergy.

• Like Like x 21
  7. I'm not particularly senior, but feel free to use me as a guinea pig.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Why do people always quote from a work of fiction (the Bible) is not very credible……..you might as well quote from the Beano or Homer Simpson to support your argument.

" 'The FOOL hath said in his heart, There is no God . . .' Psalm 14:1; 53:1
    - Ian , East Sussex, 13/8/2013 07:49"

9. The graph is a little disturbing, considering the average IQ is supposed to be 100!

• Like Like x 1
  10. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

So are you ordained then?

11. Whether or not you believe the bible has any validity, it is rather a good thing to quote in a religious argument, as it is PART of the argument.

Although Homer S does make some good points. "Oh, everything’s too damned expensive these days. This bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody’s a sinner! Except this guy." - Homer

• Like Like x 2
  12. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

Yep - my stepmum and her parents were all religious nutters. The Gran used to stand on a street corner in Leicester city centre pointing at passers-by telling them they were going to hell unless they 'repent' and that they are all sinners.

Even at 11 years old I used to think there wasn't something quite right about that - especially seeing as I knew in the real world if you accused someone of something without any proof, you could get into hot water.

Anyone that's daft enough to cut about in their pyjamas during the day, grow an itchy six-inch beard and kneel on a carpet 5 times a day and hate anyone that doesn't do the same - clearly isn't operating on the same level as someone who split the atom.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Forgot about Bart.
    "It's all Christianity, people. The little, stupid differences are nothing next to the big, stupid similarities." --Bart Simpson

14. Unfortunately in quoting the Bible you’re in fact resorting to the

“Because it is”

or

“Because I said so”

argument. Which does seem to marry up to the child like IQ scores!

I’d give you alike for that Homer S quote, but DII won’t allow me!

• Like Like x 2