Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Regiment: A 1977 BBC documentary about the Royal Green Jackets

rifleair

War Hero
Yes, it was the first that was disbanded and split between the other two, who were then renumbered.
This was to show that the loss of a Bn was a Regiment wide event and that no individual Bn was better or worse than any other.
On a previous occasion in the late sixties the large Regiments of the Army were cut from 3 to 2 Bn's and on that occasion 3RGJ were reduced to a representative Company in 2RGJ but by 73 it had been reformed.

exspy

LE
The 'obblie gobblies - as mentioned earlier were the 1st Battalion, The Oxs and Bucks.

With so much regimental knowledge available, maybe you can answer a question for me. Was there a reason that the Oxs and Bucks were selected to become 1st Green Jackets? Was there a connection to the Rifle tradition with them that wasn't found with the other Light Infantry regiments? I don't believe they ever wore rifle green as a uniform, but I could be wrong.

Thanks,
Dan.

With so much regimental knowledge available, maybe you can answer a question for me. Was there a reason that the Oxs and Bucks were selected to become 1st Green Jackets? Was there a connection to the Rifle tradition with them that wasn't found with the other Light Infantry regiments? I don't believe they ever wore rifle green as a uniform, but I could be wrong.

Thanks,
Dan.
In the 1914 war, when they had two battalions, the Ox & Bucks styled themselves "43rd and 52nd, Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry" with each Bn retaining a specific county affiliation (and precedence).

KRRC were the 60th of foot.

Based on precedence, it was pretty obvious that the Ox & Bucks should become the senior of the newly-formed Greenjacket Bns.

Well the same thing happened with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, who had been reduced to 'Balaklava Coy' at around the same time, so perhaps other contemporary factors were at play.
In their case it was Colin Mitchell staging a mahoosive, protracted publicity campaign. Anglians had Tiger Company ( 4th Bn/Leicesters) who were demo coy at RMAS for years - until they vanished. The Mafia resurgence was staged very quietly: no need for hoo-ha when your men make up nearly 20% of all the Generals . . . .

Well the same thing happened with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, who had been reduced to 'Balaklava Coy' at around the same time, so perhaps other contemporary factors were at play.
Rather think the Argyll's went to Coy strength in the late 60's after they returned from Aden. In fact 69 rings a bell as the amalgamations were on the go with the formation of the Queens Own Highlanders.

In their case it was Colin Mitchell staging a mahoosive, protracted publicity campaign. Anglians had Tiger Company ( 4th Bn/Leicesters) who were demo coy at RMAS for years - until they vanished. The Mafia resurgence was staged very quietly: no need for hoo-ha when your men make up nearly 20% of all the Generals . . . .
Mitchell in part saved the Argyll's, the Aden legacy helped him massively. However the fact he didn't get a DSO and only an MID for Aden, and that General Tower the ex GOC in Aden stuffed him (no recommendation for higher office)and blighted his career he left and went into politics. And 'revenge being a dish best served cold' stuffed Tower and a number of others who had pissed him off in the past!
Interesting note General Tower who had last seen action in 1945 where he got his DSO as a Gunner had been Head of PR for the Army prior to his posting to Aden, so not surprising he was hacked off at being outflanked by a Lt Colonel!

rifleair

War Hero
Because when the light division was formed in 1803 the 43rd, 52nd and 95th were brigaded together as the first formation of the new division and went on to fight together through the peninsular war. No, the 43rd and 52nd were designated as county regiments and as such the Army board would not let them change so they had to continue wearing red jackets, no matter how much John Moore tried.
Thanks
Dan.

ugly

LE
Regarding the Light Div formation as two regiments it wasn't random, the O&BLI were LI and a few were fairly upset at being put in with the junior regiments to become Green Jackets. The LI club which at the time included the HLI actually lobbied for a single large 8Bn regiment but the Jackets held the high ground rank wise and it took another 39 years before the plan happened. I suspect it was partly because the GJ boys were dramatically understrength compared to the LI Regts and feared being subsumed in a Regiment that wasn't a Rifle regt.
All conjecture spiced with tales from the grown ups of my era who were my age back then!

ugly

LE
In a way Mad Mitch spoiled the future of regimental survival lobbying!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

C Coy 3 R Anglian - we used to have a Leicester Tiger silver centrepiece at dinner in FWR! My OC was a ex-Leicester too.

My OC was a ex-Leicester too.
If you're still in touch, ask him if he knew Peter (Shagrat) Sh###ers.

40 yrs on, Shagrat is still my benchmark for brilliant individuality.

The tap into that particular resource stream seemed to get turned off by the Army, just about the time he quit.

Not an explanation of, more a rough milestone in, the Army's stately progress to its present-day woes, driven as they have been by dull self-seeking careerists. . . . . :wink:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
If you're still in touch, ask him if he knew Peter (Shagrat) Sh###ers.

40 yrs on, Shagrat is still my benchmark for brilliant individuality.

The tap into that particular resource stream seemed to get turned off by the Army, just about the time he quit.

Not an explanation of, more a rough milestone in, the Army's stately progress to its present-day woes, driven as they have been by dull self-seeking careerists. . . . . :wink:

I shall seek him out - he later commanded 7/10 UDR - great bloke.

I must admit, we had our share of loons and I can't remember there being too many about in the past few years as we have pursued reductio ad absurdum.

Of course, now I've retired I am no longer a dull self-seeking careerist but a stinking US defence contractor, going next week to discuss the 'whole force concept' (chortle) with the great and good in Camberley. They won't be satisfied until there are no soldiers left at all!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads