Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Regiment: A 1977 BBC documentary about the Royal Green Jackets

Got a feeling if it is the one with the lads doing the Zulu there is one forum member in the audience

Yep. My two seconds of fame being on the telly watching the stripper.

There was a very well-spoken NCO in that programme who, in later years, supported and guided me through my sub-unit command with utter professionalism...and a vast reservoir of patience. Absolute gem of a Rifleman with whom it was a privilege to have served.

rifleair

War Hero
well before, that was in 94

G'day
Any chance of someone uploading this to YouTube? iPlayer doesn't seem to stretch to the Anitpodes.

The Cyprus "incident" was a different Bn, it was the old second having been renumbered when the obbly gobblies were split between the other two.

Good link, thanks I enjoyed watching that. Bit of a look at life in an Inf Bn in the 70s.

I have an uncle I haven't seen since I was very young, he was a Jacket in this era I beleive (early 70s to mid 80s). Think I will do a bit of family digging and see what I can turn up. I know he lives down south now. From, a very distant, memory I recall he was very lucky to survive a shooting incident/contact in NI which killed 2 other lads? Sound familiar to any of you ex RGJ lads? Think he made it to Colour Sarjeant and pretty sure I saw a photo of him winged up aswell?

Not sure which Bn he was in? Was it 3 Bns the RGJ had back then? He was a geordie. Would geordies join the RGJ? Which Bn woukd they likely be sent to? Was the Black Mafia a 1st Bn nickname only?

Cheers Rat, Rig.

@RIGRAT, hell of a lot of Geordies in the Green Jackets spread across all three battalions, your uncle is in my era and could have been one of many I knew.

I couldn't agree more I saw that doco and it was good ,the best thing Forces TV does is show the archive docos ,I saw a brilliant one about the Navy in the early sixties ,there must be loads of these gathering dust .

I've watched a few of those, really good - sometimes you see that not that much changes over 20 or 30 years! I watched it on Forces TV and they had a series of them.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Good link, thanks I enjoyed watching that. Bit of a look at life in an Inf Bn in the 70s.

I have an uncle I haven't seen since I was very young, he was a Jacket in this era I beleive (early 70s to mid 80s). Think I will do a bit of family digging and see what I can turn up. I know he lives down south now. From, a very distant, memory I recall he was very lucky to survive a shooting incident/contact in NI which killed 2 other lads? Sound familiar to any of you ex RGJ lads? Think he made it to Colour Sarjeant and pretty sure I saw a photo of him winged up aswell?

Not sure which Bn he was in? Was it 3 Bns the RGJ had back then? He was a geordie. Would geordies join the RGJ? Which Bn woukd they likely be sent to? Was the Black Mafia a 1st Bn nickname only?

Cheers Rat, Rig.
3rd Bn was still in service ( as was I). Black Mafia referred to that battalion, before the others borrowed it. The 'obblie gobblies - as mentioned earlier were the 1st Battalion, The Oxs and Bucks. It was 3 RGJ that was split between the other two bns.
pm me your uncles name, I may know him

Yes, one of the RFN (initials TI) was a C/Sjt in the mid-80s.

Must have been the ginger one with those initials. I was a boy soldier at the JIB at Shornecliffe with three of them who featured in the program. All of them were good lads. The program for the personal stuff mainly showed A company. I was in B company.

It was 3 RGJ that was split between the other two bns.

No it was definitely 1 RGJ. They were in Osnatraz and severely undermanned at the time. They were split between 3 RGJ (Dover?) and 2 RGJ (Omagh). My platoon acquired four new Rfn as a result.

The most painful thing about the amalgamation was the loss of our black capbadges!

Latest Threads