Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Regiment: A 1977 BBC documentary about the Royal Green Jackets

I’ve just discovered an absolute gem of a documentary whilst browsing the ‘BBC Four Army Collection’ on the BBC iPlayer. It’s listed by the author and journalist Mark Urban as one of his favourite pieces, and it’s a fascinating look at the culture and lifestyles of the 1970s era infantry soldier – in this case, the first battalion of the Royal Green Jackets aka ‘The Black Mafia’. Even though it’s a production unique to the RGJ I’m sure a lot of the old salts amongst you will still raise a knowing smile whether you served with them or not, as the infantry’s the infantry wherever you go in the British army and some things never change. The Dover Barracks look particularly stunning and it’s great to see the ‘70s era battalion and background on display – much the same as today, but with less traffic and without the god-awful mobile phones we’re all now condemned to carry around.

There are some other memorable documentaries on the BBC4 army archive about the Guards, the Gurkhas, the Lancers and many other of our great regiments – all definitely worth checking out.

I’m sure that this has probably been posted up on here before – but just in case it hasn’t – please see the links below:

BBC iPlayer - The Regiment

BBC iPlayer - Army: A Very British Institution

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
I’ve just discovered an absolute gem of a documentary whilst browsing the ‘BBC Four Army Collection’ on the BBC iPlayer. It’s listed by the author and journalist Mark Urban as one of his favourite pieces, and it’s a fascinating look at the culture and lifestyles of the 1970s era infantry soldier – in this case, the first battalion of the Royal Green Jackets aka ‘The Black Mafia’. Even though it’s a production unique to the RGJ I’m sure a lot of the old salts amongst you will still raise a knowing smile whether you served with them or not, as the infantry’s the infantry wherever you go in the British army and some things never change. The Dover Barracks look particularly stunning and it’s great to see the ‘70s era battalion and background on display – much the same as today, but with less traffic and without the god-awful mobile phones we’re all now condemned to carry around.

There are some other memorable documentaries on the BBC4 army archive about the Guards, the Gurkhas, the Lancers and many other of our great regiments – all definitely worth checking out.

I’m sure that this has probably been posted up on here before – but just in case it hasn’t – please see the links below:

I've just started reading your book that I've had for about a trillion years. I hope it's better than @ACAB's efforts.

X59

LE

Few faces there that are just about still serving in one form or another.

Many thanks for that Snail, it’s much appreciated. I’ve read and reviewed ACAB’s book and it’s a cracking read – loved the totally un-PC nature of it and found myself agreeing with all he wrote. His story is quite different because he’s been a soldier, a policeman and done CP/training work in Iraq too, so he’s got a nice triple-whammy of stuff to write about. Found myself laughing out loud in parts, especially at his musings on ‘modern’ policing and the types we now have running the forces – sorry, ‘services’.

X59

LE

The_Snail

ADC
RIP

Nitroxpuppy

War Hero
Picked it up a few years ago as Gd Comd and flicked through a few chapters. Went on to do a key audit instead which was far better.

S

Spider39

I couldn't agree more I saw that doco and it was good ,the best thing Forces TV does is show the archive docos ,I saw a brilliant one about the Navy in the early sixties ,there must be loads of these gathering dust .

[snip] a fascinating look at the culture and lifestyles of the 1970s era infantry soldier[/snip]

Good post.

Solid link

But you are a decade adrift - 'twas filmed in the mid-1980s.

I lived in that barracks before the LI (1981-83), and in my garage, I have a VHS tape recording of the original TV broadcast: the image quality is deteriorating as fast as the associated fire hazard rises, but VCRs (and Space Invaders games in the choggie wallah's) were not available in the UK until 1979.

Nitroxpuppy

War Hero
Love the bit where they leave for Cyprus. RGJBloke - think Ive just worked out why RGJ and buses was never a good mix.

rifleair

War Hero
Good post.

Solid link

I lived in that barracks before the LI (1981-83), and in my garage, I have a VHS tape recording of the original TV broadcast: the image quality is deteriorating as fast as the associated fire hazard rises, but VCRs (and Space Invaders games in the choggie wallah's) were not available in the UK until 1979.
Sorry Mate, but you are incorrect, 'twas filmed in 1976, we went to Cyprus thinking that everyone at home was going to have a rubbish summer like 75 but, it was only the hottest summer at home for decades!

Sorry Mate, but you are incorrect, 'twas filmed in 1976, we went to Cyprus thinking that everyone at home was going to have a rubbish summer like 75 but, it was only the hottest summer at home for decades!

Yes, one of the RFN (initials TI) was a C/Sjt in the mid-80s.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Good post.

Solid link

Says it was released in '77 on the website. Still, hairy shirts, long hair, wooly pullys, fags everywhere and Waffen SS posters on the walls of the block mean that it could have been almost any unit in the 70s or 80s!

Latest Threads