The Referendum - Arrse Poll

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Victorian_Major, Apr 14, 2011.

?
  1. AV for me! Colin Firth thinks it's great.

96 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. SNTV/FPP I reckon - I like that Frank Williams.

157 vote(s)
    56.1%
  3. What referendum? - when's the wedding?

27 vote(s)
    9.6%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So - how will you vote? Are you swayed by all the celebs who seem to be outnumbering the politicos?

Personally, I'm something of an iconoclast and might toy with AV as I think we have a rather lazy bi/tri party system at the moment and I fancy punishing them with a few more esoterics in parliament. That said, the price for this is scumbags like UKIP and BNP (purely a personal opinion) possibly lucking in with a few seats.

But I haven't thought seriously about the issue since I wrote an A Level essay on the subject many moons ago, and I'm finding the media debate simplistic and unedifying. So help me make my mind up...

2. Should've put a poll in!

Leaning toward AV
    Mainly because I don't think the current three party system serves the electorate very well. If it means UKIP and the BNP getting the odd seat then so much the better.
    Politics as it stands only serves the politicians...

3. Eh? I'm looking at a poll... whassup?

4. Sorry, for some reason it didn't show for me, does now.

5. As soon as the "luvvies" come out for something, I'm automatically against it.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Yes, but both sides have A, B, C and X-listers.

7. Seconded. I am a genuine 'don't know' on this subject.

The FPP system is OK as far as it goes, ie the one with the most votes wins, but we always end up with something the majority of people didn't vote for.

I think the weakness of the current system is that we, the British public, don't vote govewrnments in, we wait until whoever is in charge has****ed the job up completely and get rid of them by voting for the opposition.

I have no particular love for the Tories, but I voted for them as a way of evicting the last lot.

So, looking back, the left (Wilson) are in until they **** it up, then the right (Thatcher) charge off to destruction the other way, then we swing left again (NL) bringing us to the current debacle.

Would AV encourage middle-for-diddle politics, which is what I want?

Also if, as people keep saying, AV will be good for the BNP el al, why are they campaigning against it?

8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I'm not swayed by the celebs and find the whole thing strangely puzzling. Who decides to vote for a proposition because Stephen Fry urges you to? (apart from his legion of fawning sycophants on Twitter)

I'll be voting for AV though as we have a version of it up here which seems to work quite well and it seems fairer.

9. Firstly, I care nothing whatsoever for any celeb or politician's say-so. I can use my own brain thanks very much, and won't take any notice of what they have to say. Plain and simple.

Next, I am in favour of the AV idea and I hope it comes into effect. I have several reasons for this which I won't bore you with by going into intricate detail, so here's just a brief sample of them.

Under this AV system, if I want to vote someone into last place, the I get the chance to. In other words, out of, say, five candidates I can say "not bloody likely" to the BNP and put them down as 5th choice, ie last place, for example.

At present, if I want to say "no f-ing chance" to the BNP and cross them off my ballot slip then it's a spoilt ballot slip and so it won't count. In other words, I'm not getting my proper chance to say just what I want to on election day.

People who only want to use one vote, for one candidate, can do just that - if they want to. But for me, I want to make it very clear who gets my first, second, third choice and so on. At the count, a clear winner will still be a clear winner; and the clear cut loosers are out of the count anyway.

This AV will just mean that people will have to think more carefully about their second and third choices in future.

There's much more, but that will have to do for now. Just remember, vote for this AV idea on 5th May, ok.

• Like Like x 4
  10. If it becomes AV, I won't bother to vote. I don't expect to see some also ran win by the system, I expect the person I vote for to win or lose on merit, **** the alternative.

11. I added Mr Fry on my Twitter, god he's a boring ****! I expected more from him.

Not even read up on this referendum, can someone explain the choices?

12. The referendum offers 2 choices: to keep the current 'First past the post' system - whoever gets the most votes wins; or to change to the Alternative Vote (AV) system - voters give each candidate a ranked preference (1,2,3,4 etc). If there is no absolute majority winner, the last-place candidate is eliminated and the votes are recalculated based on second preferences. This is repeated until one candidate has an absolute majority and thus is elected MP.

13. No system is perfect, but FPTP is an outdated solution to the problems of yesterday. It's there to promote the status quo regardless of how badly that serves the wishes of the majority.

AV-style systems aren't perfect either, but at least we get to see what the electorate actually want.

14. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

It's a choice between continuing with the first past the post system that we have at the moment for General Elections or the AV system whereby you rank candidates in order of preference (if you want to, it's not mandatory) and will see an end to the election of MPs who secured less than 50% of the vote as presently happens.

15. Same as before,bad to useless!