The Red Baron

Currently watching this and noticed that one of his mates/fellow fliers had the 'Magen David' (Star of David) his aircraft. Got me thinking about what happend after 1933, to other German Jewish Airman and serviceman from WW1 who survived that war?

German Jewish Aces

I think that if you were important enough, the racial purity laws could be 'adjusted' to ensure that there were no problems.

Many WWI Jewish servicemen ended their time in Germany in concentration camps.

Don't think this has been mentioned yet but it is 100 years ago that the Red Baron met his end. Not everyone's favourite fellow but I think it deserves a mention.

It is. Congratulations to Captain Brown RAF. A worthy achievement and worth the bar to his DSC.
its actually an australian Lewis gunner on the ground who got the Red Baron - one of the Discovery channels did an in depth investigation using all the witness/combat statements then re-enacted the flight path and using lasers instead of bullets it was irrefutable that at no point could Capt Browns bullet have penetrated the Red Barons chest from the 'correct' angle whereas one of the 2 Aussies firing upon him from the ground had the perfect angle - interestingly a pathologist said the single .303 bullet (found in his flight jacket) only gave the Baron 45 secs to live from impact and he still managed to land his aircraft before dying

I knew about Willi Rosenstein. There are two pages on The Aerodrome pon this subject.
Jewish German pilots

One answer is that some of them served in Hitler's Luftwaffe. Edward Milch comamnded Jagdgruppe 6 in the Great War then founded Lufthansa and rose to be the Air Inspector General under Goering. He is supposed to be the architect of the Luftwaffe.

Erhard Milch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I do like the mention in his Wikipedia* page where it states: "On surrendering, he presented his baton to Brigadier Derek Mills-Roberts, who was so disgusted by what he had seen when liberating the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp that he broke the baton over Milch's head." - you simply can't teach class like that.

Erhard Milch - Wikipedia

its actually an australian Lewis gunner on the ground who got the Red Baron...
Sorry, Manfred was killed by a Canadian. My history books told me so. Micheal Wittman was killed by a Canadian too. Brian Reid wrote a book about it.

Incidentally, the pilot's seat from the Red Baron's aircraft is on display in my club here in Toronto. Apparently the Luftwaffe squadron which still bears his name has offered in excess of a million dollars to buy it, but the club won't sell.

Cheers,
Dan.

I knew about Willi Rosenstein. There are two pages on The Aerodrome pon this subject.
Jewish German pilots

One answer is that some of them served in Hitler's Luftwaffe. Edward Milch comamnded Jagdgruppe 6 in the Great War then founded Lufthansa and rose to be the Air Inspector General under Goering. He is supposed to be the architect of the Luftwaffe.

Erhard Milch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Milch was classed as a “milchling” (excuse spelling) by Goering, basically a mongrel as he wasn’t a full Jew, his mother claimed she had an affair with a gentile and he was the result. That suited the big nobs at Luftwaffe hq.

Sorry, Manfred was killed by a Canadian. My history books told me so. Micheal Wittman was killed by a Canadian too. Brian Reid wrote a book about it.

Incidentally, the pilot's seat from the Red Baron's aircraft is on display in my club here in Toronto. Apparently the Luftwaffe squadron which still bears his name has offered in excess of a million dollars to buy it, but the club won't sell.

Cheers,
Dan.
you need a new book mate! Sgt Popkin (Aussie) shot the Red Baron and Michael Wittman was got by Trooper Joe Ekins, a British gunner in a Sherman Firefly tank of the 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry who fired the round that destroyed his tank, killing Wittmann and his crew plus 2 other Tigers in the same troop. ( I know that the Canadian Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment may have been responsible instead but Tpr Ekins officially got the credit for it)

Cheers,
Dan.

This has been argued over since the incident, with each team claiming to have better evidence to prove their case than the others.
Nobody really knows who killed him.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
This has been argued over since the incident, with each team claiming to have better evidence to prove their case than the others.
Nobody really knows who killed him.
The forensic re-creations however favour ground fire for the Red Baron and make the Canadians the form horse for Wittman. Well done whoever did it.

The forensic re-creations however favour ground fire for the Red Baron and make the Canadians the form horse for Wittman. Well done whoever did it.
Richtofen may have been the enemy but represented a chivalrous foe. He disengaged on more than one occasion when his opponent's guns jammed.
My belief is that it was Snoopy.