The Red Arrows 2020 season

Just caught up with recordings of the Reds in North America, and it started me thinking.

With the Covid-19 cancellations now including Farnborough, Duxford, RIAT, Cosford, Yeovilton and many smaller shows, is there going to be anywhere that the UK military display teams can fly displays at this year?

Teams like the Black Cats and Typhoon could be absorbed back into full time squadron roles quite easily, but what about the Reds?
Being a full time display unit at squadron strength, there are a lot of aircrew and engineers to pay for if they're not doing the job they are set up for, so can the Government afford to have them now, if they have very few (if any) displays to fly at?

FakeSheikh2

Old-Salt
No displays at the moment scheduled but someone did say they might do fly overs as a morale booster.
That is until one them has to isolate, Jon Bond on TV BBC1 Friday looking like a potential future Red1

Most airfields are closed now even to members with no av gas on offer or self draw only.

mcphee1948

War Hero
I'd just like to ask a question about the aircraft that the "Red Arrows" are using.

They are obviously "Hawks", which, as I understand it, were originally used in the RAF as jet trainer planes. Then they were abandoned in favour of modern turboprop trainer planes. The new turboprops were cheaper, and apparently considered satisfactory in performance.

So i'm wondering whether the new "Red Arrows" could perform with turboprop planes?

When were Hawks abandoned in favour of turboprops?

mcphee1948

War Hero
Nope, the Tuc (now Texan) was a lead in trainer for the Hawk.

Hilarious thread...

I'd just like to ask a question about the aircraft that the "Red Arrows" are using.

They are obviously "Hawks", which, as I understand it, were originally used in the RAF as jet trainer planes. Then they were abandoned in favour of modern turboprop trainer planes. The new turboprops were cheaper, and apparently considered satisfactory in performance.

So i'm wondering whether the new "Red Arrows" could perform with turboprop planes?
For the love of god, step away from the keyboard!

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
As people have said the Tucano was the lead in to the Hawk. The Red Arrows fly the Hawk T1, also flown by 100 sqdn at Leeming. The bulk of the RAF Hawks are T2 types.

Last time I looked the Red Arrows cost about £6000,000 pa to run. Most of this came from commercial sponsorship so not really a drain on the ration strength.

As people have said the Tucano was the lead in to the Hawk. The Red Arrows fly the Hawk T1, also flown by 100 sqdn at Leeming. The bulk of the RAF Hawks are T2 types.

Last time I looked the Red Arrows cost about £6000,000 pa to run. Most of this came from commercial sponsorship so not really a drain on the ration strength.
Fair comment, but how much commercial sponsorship will be forthcoming if the team can't do anything worthwhile to pay it back though?

mcphee1948

War Hero
Thanks to everyone for clarifying my understanding of the "Red Arrows" and the "Hawk".

Slime

LE
They are being re roled.
From Wednesday they will be overflying UK cities and will be swapping coloured diesel smoke for anti bacterial sprays.

All they need is a new name?
Dettol display team?
:)

Euclid

Old-Salt
Surely time to bin them once and for all? If the Army can lose the White Helmets I’m sure nobody will miss a few obsolescent aircraft mincing through the skies.

Maybe replace them with something more relevant - a model aircraft display team perhaps, with the ‘pilots’ sitting in a portacabin in Lincolnshire.

jg505

Old-Salt
I don't believe there is a replacement aircraft planned for when the Hawk aircraft is due to retire, so I'm thinking come 2022, the chuffin premadonna Reds will be history anyhoo.

And seriously, how can you train fast jet pilots in turbo prop aircraft? As was previously stated, the Tucanno was a trainer aircraft that led onto FJ training in the hawk.

Last edited:
I don't believe there is a replacement aircraft planned for when the Hawk aircraft is due to retire, so I'm thinking come 2022, the chuffin premadonna Reds will be history anyhoo.

And seriously, how can you train fast jet pilots in turbo prop aircraft? As was previously stated, the Tucanno was a trainer aircraft that led onto FJ training in the hawk.
I thought I read somewhere that there’s feelers out for a replacement to the Hawk.
I do hope the Red Arrows keep going, they are good ambassadors for the country.

Slime

LE
I thought I read somewhere that there’s feelers out for a replacement to the Hawk.
Plenty of articles on the subject, going as far back as ten to fifteen years ago.

jg505

Old-Salt
As a brand, the Reds are great advertisement for UK PLC but, individually, the aircrew are so far up their own arse it's incredible. Mind you, the only Aircrew I found 'ok' were 51 Sqn and the E3D boys and girls. The SH Force are quite down to earth but it must be, once you go FJ, you become a complete twat.