• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Figures The Rearguard

Apologies for the glacial progress on this one, but this summer has been unexpectedly busy! I started this project back in June and it's only yesterday that I've been able to get back to my bench. Original posts first then I'll get onto the updates.

Jun 15, 2018
#12,814

This'll be my next project. Based on JP Beadle's famous picture The Rearguard depicting the 95th on the Retreat to Vigo in 1809. I ordered a couple of these the other day from Tradition of London. If they turn out ok then I'll probably end up up getting the rest of the set and putting them together in a vignette. In total there are six Riflemen, Black Bob, and a Hussar. One at a time though as it'd be over a hundred notes to buy them all at once! I'll get 'em primed tonight and start painting tomorrow.

_20180615_175748.JPG

71VBnpkG-GL._SL1100_.jpg

Then it was a week before I actually got started!

Jun 22, 2018
#12,963

A bit of progress at last! Various things conspired against me last weekend. First it was the youth's 16th birthday, then I discovered that he'd used all my undercoat for his GCSE art project, and then my wine delivery arrived. So I got pissed instead! Anyway, I'm about halfway there on this chap:

_20180622_165328.JPG
_20180622_165307.JPG
_20180622_165246.JPG

Managed to get this one smashed in a day, but then life got busy.

Jun 23, 2018
#12,984

This fella's done for now. I'm not going to base him yet as there's another seven figures in the set and they'll all go on the same base when it's finished. Oh and for a 54mm figure he's bloody huge - closer to 65mm. Quite the dapper chap though!

_20180623_184157.JPG
_20180623_184137.JPG
_20180623_184114.JPG

Now nearly three months later and I've finally managed to get some work done on the Rifleman. Needed a bit of alteration first to correct a couple of minor mistakes. The shoulder tufts were far too big so they were cut away and replaced with miliput. Likewise the expense pouch on his waist belt was remodelled to make it look a bit more like the real thing. Also drilled out the barrel and trigger guard. Now primed and ready to go!

_20180916_122820.JPG
_20180916_123117.JPG

Now nearly three months later and I've finally managed to get some work done on the Rifleman. Needed a bit of alteration first to correct a couple of minor mistakes. The shoulder tufts were far too big so they were cut away and replaced with miliput. Likewise the expense pouch on his waist belt was remodelled to make it look a bit more like the real thing. Also drilled out the barrel and trigger guard. Now primed and ready to go!

View attachment 352478 View attachment 352479
Looks lovely, but give him 10 extras for being so far away from his sword :)

Fabulous and evocative. My late Grandfather (ex Rifles) had this in his study as a print -brings back many memories!

Looks lovely, but give him 10 extras for being so far away from his sword :)
10 extras? More like a dozen lashes!

I was being all modern, 10 extras was being touchy, feely :)
I'd say a dozen lashes is a lot more touchy-feely! Especially around the kidneys.

I'd say a dozen lashes is a lot more touchy-feely! Especially around the kidneys.
Black Bob, if I remember was rather Liberal with the lash. I've read the book Rifles by the BBC journalist Mark Urban. Same bloke who wrote the book about the 5th RTR, Tankies.
I've always said that, that book should have been made into a TV series, just like Band of Brothers.

ps, Got a soft spot for the 95th.

Progress at last, started to put paint on the Rifleman last night. I'm trying to get a worn and faded look in contrast to the officer but I think I need to tone it down a bit. The green is really too pale. Off to collect the youth from his mum's now, then I've got to try to convince the dogs that they need to go for a walk. Then back to the bench.

_20180922_163838.JPG

Managed to get this one smashed in a day, but then life got busy.

Jun 23, 2018
#12,984

This fella's done for now. I'm not going to base him yet as there's another seven figures in the set and they'll all go on the same base when it's finished. Oh and for a 54mm figure he's bloody huge - closer to 65mm. Quite the dapper chap though!

View attachment 352475 View attachment 352476 View attachment 352477
From the back, he looks well wrapped up for the winter, collar high up under the ears. Possibly extra shirts under the tunic.

Quick update before work, I'm happier with the green now after darkening it a bit, and I've made a start on the face. It's the stage I always dread as it can make or break a figure. If all goes well I should finish him this evening.

20180924_074304.jpg

Finished last night but didn't get any pics until this morning. I'm pretty happy with the finished result, though I might deepen the shadows on his face to give it a bit more contrast. For interest the uniform mix is Vallejo 970 deep green and a bit of black which gives an excellent Rifle Green. Add a bit of light flesh for the highlights and a bit more black for the shadows. The rifle stock is Humbrol 62 natural leather over a black base, and then a thin layer of Humbrol 10 gloss brown. The snow is ancient bicarbonate of soda salvaged years ago from a 10 man ration pack! I knew it would come in handy one day.

_20180925_083514.JPG
_20180925_082616.JPG
_20180925_082552.JPG
_20180925_082533.JPG
_20180925_082507.JPG

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Lovely work there BM, the face has come out very well.

Cheers @Auld-Yin! It actually looks fine under normal light but the flash hides the contrast. I really must work out how to take decent pictures without it!

Cheers @Auld-Yin! It actually looks fine under normal light but the flash hides the contrast. I really must work out how to take decent pictures without it!
Try daylight sans flash??

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
untallguy The Book Club 0