The Real Saving Private Ryan

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by DozyBint, Aug 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A heartbreaking story from the Daily Mail...

An American soldier was returning home from Iraq last night after his two brothers were killed in action.

In a tragedy that has echoes of the Hollywood movie Saving Private Ryan, 31-year-old Jason Hubbard was sent home following the death of his brother Nathan, 21, in northern Iraq.

Nathan was among 14 U.S. soldiers killed in a Black Hawk helicopter crash on Wednesday.

Their brother Jared, then 22, died in a roadside bomb blast in Iraq three years ago.

Jason, who is married with a twoyearold son, only joined up in 2005 because he felt guilty he wasn't there to help Jared.

Jason and Nathan made a pact that they would serve in tribute to their brother.

Their mother, Peggy, said Jason also wanted to protect Nathan. The two brothers were allowed to serve together under the army 'buddy' system.

Mrs Hubbard, her husband Jeff and their remaining son were said to be taking Nathan's death 'very, very hard'.

Family friend Keith Butterfield said the Hubbards, from Clovis, California,were worried for their sons but proud because they knew they were committed to going to war on behalf of their fallen brother.

"There is nothing anyone can say to make it better, but it's good to know that there are other families that can help you cope," said Mr Butterfield, whose own son died in Iraq last year.

The Pentagon said the helicopter crash was almost certainly caused by mechanical failure and not by hostile fire.

Nathan was part of a group of infantrymen on board for a night mission in Tamim province, which surrounds the oil-rich city of Kirkuk.

He was the fifth former student from the same high school to die in Iraq. At the time Nathan and Jason joined up, Nathan said: "We are getting on with our lives.

"My brother - my parents' son - will always be in our hearts, and we'll always remember him and we'll always think of him and all that, but we've got to move on, and that's what we are doing."

Nathan added that they didn't worry about dying in the war. "People are going to be hurt, and people are going to be killed," he said.

"That is a reality you have to accept, but not dwell on."

Jason is returning home under the U.S. military's sole survivor policy, brought in after the deaths of the five Sullivan brothers of Waterloo, Iowa, who were killed when their ship was sunk in 1942.

Since then, a surviving brother is allowed home if his siblings are killed in combat.

[align=center]Rest In Peace brave souls[/align]

[align=center]*** Nathan Hubbard *** *** Jared Hubbard ***[/align]

My sincere condolences to the Hubbard family and all who grieve the loss of Nathan and Jared.

Photos also from the Daily Mail.
  2. Two from one family, that poor mother. RIP, lads.
  3. R.I.P Brothers in Arms, my thoughts are with the family at this most tragic time.
  4. also i wish to send my thoughts to the family RIP
  5. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

6. What a world we live in where brave men and women are prepared to fight and die for a cause hated by their fellow countrymen and despised by the people they are trying to protect....what a fu*ked up world we live in
  7. RIP Brave Lads
  8. Heard this on BFBS. Terrible news.

RIP fellas, thoughts to family and friends in this terrible time.
  9. D.B.

I was so moved by your post entitled, ' The real Saving Private Ryan ' I found this passage from the film to add to this thread. It was about a letter to a Mrs. Bixby. If any of you have seen the film, you may recall it.

' We pray that our heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the Alter of Freedom'.

The boy's alive and we are gonna send somebody to find him, and we are gonna get him the hell out of there.
  10. She must be one hell of a woman to bring three men up who want to serve others. A mothers tutoring produced three heroes and it is a shame she had to out grow her kin.

12. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Is this really the time and place to discuss politics and or foreign policy? I think not! :roll:
  13. Tragic. RIP.