The rats start to jump ship

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by brettarider, Sep 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Transport Secretary Ruth Kelly has told the Prime Minister she intends to step down to spend more time with her family, sources said.
    (Advertisement)

The revelation comes at an awkward time for Gordon Brown who had hoped to end the Labour Party conference on a high note after delivering a rousing speech on Tuesday.

A source close to Ms Kelly said Mr Brown had been informed that the mother of four will resign from her post at the next Cabinet reshuffle.

There had been speculation Ms Kelly could leave the Cabinet over her objections to the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill.

Earlier this year, the Bolton West MP along with two other Roman Catholic Cabinet ministers - Defence Secretary Des Browne and Welsh Secretary Paul Murphy - voted in favour of the unsuccessful attempt to ban the use of hybrid human-animal embryos and "saviour siblings".

But the source insisted Ms Kelly planned to step down because of family commitments.

"It is not true to say that (Ms Kelly) has resigned. She has told the Prime Minister she intends to step down at the next Cabinet reshuffle, purely for family reasons," she said.

"She is very happy in her job as Transport Secretary but thought the time had come to spend more time with her four young children."

Ms Kelly's decision to quit comes amid rumours of a looming Cabinet reshuffle and is likely to put Mr Brown on the back foot once again as he attempts to shore up his leadership.

linky

2. Religious views my arrse! She was quite happy to participate in a government that brought us gay marriage, 'diversity', transgender outreach in every council, sex changes for prisoners, halal turkey for Christmas dinner and Sharia courts. Now, 11 years on, she just happens to decide that it's time to go?

She's resigning to spend more time with her address book. Her constituency is marginal and she's almost certain to lose her seat at the election. She'll be trying to line herself up with a few directorships before the rush starts.

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Got it in one AM.

4. Nothing to do with the fact that she would have got sacked soon then

5. Funny that the Broon told BBC Breakfast News he had discussed her stepping down with his 'friend from our days together in the Treasury' back in May. If that is the case she chose a urine poor time to announce the news.

6. Nice one AM, and I think spot on target.

7. With you there AM. They will all start lining their pockets before they loose their grip on power

8. There'll be more in the next couple of weeks.

9. I don't think there'll be many directorships flying around. Would you want them running your business after how they've run the country?

10. 'She'll be trying to line herself up with a few directorships before the rush starts.'

She'd better be quick - no one wants to give a directorship to an ex-MP who has no further influence in the corridors of power. What you have to remember is that hardly anyone in Nu-Liarbour has ever had a proper job and are unemployable outside Westminster. They were parachuted in to (what were) 'safe' seats and are now panicking as to what to do when they lose their cosy little sinecures.

11. Ruth Who?

What impact has she made on transport policy then....?

(tumble weed blows through)

Not one new road or rail line (High Speed 1 doesn't count as it was started years ago).
    The only original thinking I've seen is Boris and his plan for a new London Airport in the Thames estuary - and that's a rehash of a 40 year old scheme!

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Yep - she's a lying, two-faced, po-faced retard of the first water. As AM points out, if her 'religious' morals were so important, she'd never have served in a Labliar gobment, let alone cite it as a reason for leaving at such a critical time for cyclops. She IS a politician, so lying goes with the territory.

Good riddance to bad rubbish is what I say, and the sooner the rest of her colleagues bail out, the better. TBH, I'm happy for them to use any lie or excuse they choose to try and save face - just so long as they DO bugger off.

13. She's got kids!?! I always kind of assumed she wasnt of the breeding persuasion.

14. There could well be directorships flying around. They wont have them running the business, just their name on the headed company paper. It is their contacts and introductions they will get paid for. A foot in the door so to speak with the people spending our tax money.

They will call it networking. I am calling it corruption.

15. Oh yes, she has kids. As Minister for Education she pushed forward inclusion policy's for kids with learning difficulties, making statementing virtualy impossible, and loosing any chance of getting said children into "special schools". She then promptly sent her own Dyslexic children into private education.

As the father of an Autistic child, I was most impressed. I hope she burns in hell