The rations are coming & The Soyer Stove

The rations are coming

Forget spud-bashing and tins of bully beef. A A Gill marvelled at the margarine sculptures and sampled the exquisite canapes at the military’s annual catering competition.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25609-2121724,00.html

Has anyone read this? It’s a good read but, what really interested me was this:-

“The Soyer stove was invented in the 1850s for the army in the Crimea, and it was still in use during the first Gulf war. It is far and away the longest-serving single piece of military equipment since the bow and arrow, yet it’s never mentioned in lists of great designs or inventions that changed the world. Yet the Soyer stove has touched and changed the lives of more people, and indeed the course of nations, than anything created by Alessi or Le Corbusier.”
Can anyone confirm this?

I like aa gills bit on the millitary espically his bit on iraq when he said the british obession with shaping berets was a bit gay :lol:

Thought this was interesting as well:-

After 150 years, the army finally lost most of its Soyer stoves when the Atlantic Conveyor was sunk in the south Atlantic during the Falklands conflict. If you want to see one in action, they star at the beginning of the film Zulu.
Some Piece of kit! :mrgreen:

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
we used them in the 1970's occasional at Saltau for our hot water

My opinion of Mr Gill is somewhat coloured by my only interaction with him at Brecon about 15 years ago. He was a tad put out when told tha whilst we would happily store his shotgun for him, he couldn't keep his 12 bore cartridges in the armoury, and was very politely told to go away when he started getting uppity.

A bit of a **** IMHO.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
alexis Soyer is becoming a bit of a celebratory again this year for some odd reason all sorts of mentions on the BBC and internet.

alexis Soyer is becoming a bit of a celebratory again this year for some odd reason all sorts of mentions on the BBC and internet.
Was he a transsexual disabled lesbian of colour perchance?