• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

The Rational Practicality of Islam...

#1
Excerpt from my local fishwrap:

" Many people toss in their sleep, but it's rare for a sleeper to toss out a marriage. Sohla Ansari told friends in India's West Bengal state that her husband, Aftab, had murmured the word " talaq "[ meaning divorce ], three times in his sleep.
Under the Islamic rule of triple ' talaq ', saying " I Divorce You " three times constitutes a divorce. [ now I'm thinking here that maybe Sohela was a bit pissed off at ol Aftab and wanted to screw him over a bit ]
When local Muslim leaders heard the tale, they said the fact that Mr. Ansari was asleep did not nullify the result. they toild the couple that they had to separate, even though the Ansaris have been married 11 years and have 3 children, profess to love each other and don't want to split up. so far they have defied the order [ oh oh.. could be problems there ]
A family counselling centre is reviewing the case, and Muslim scholars are arguing over the degree of intention that must be present to justify treating pillow ' talaq' as absolute."

Bizarre, no question. but it does make an odd bit of sense that, if anything were to end a dream marriage, it would be a dream divorce...


getting my hat and coat...
 
#3
Radical_Dreamer said:
How'd they hear about it? They must've heard about it from one of them or the local Muslim leaders actually share a bed with the couple.
Radical_Dreamer's profile said:
Interests: Reading, writing, poetry, music, film, theatre, opera, ballet, novels, history, short stories, writing
Reading yes, but reading comprehension is clearly not your forte!

Sohla Ansari told friends in India's West Bengal state that her husband, Aftab, had murmured the word " talaq "[ meaning divorce ],
Bolded the important part for you...HINT: "loose lips sink ships"

I will help you with your affliction YOU ARE A STUPID CNUT
 
#4
Can't see the problem really.

Law says you are now divorced. Fine no problems. We are getting married again tomorrow.

Good excuse for a piß up and load of pressies from the relatives.

Win/Win and perhaps it will teach them not to go blabbing what goes on in the night to "friends".
 
#6
Steven said:
Can't see the problem really.

Law says you are now divorced. Fine no problems. We are getting married again tomorrow.

Good excuse for a piß up and load of pressies from the relatives.

Win/Win and perhaps it will teach them not to go blabbing what goes on in the night to "friends".
Slight problem there -- before she can remarry him, she has to marry another man, "spend the night with" (i.e. screw) him,, and then be divorced -- by him.
 
#10
ctauch said:
Radical_Dreamer said:
How'd they hear about it? They must've heard about it from one of them or the local Muslim leaders actually share a bed with the couple.
Radical_Dreamer's profile said:
Interests: Reading, writing, poetry, music, film, theatre, opera, ballet, novels, history, short stories, writing
Reading yes, but reading comprehension is clearly not your forte!

Sohla Ansari told friends in India's West Bengal state that her husband, Aftab, had murmured the word " talaq "[ meaning divorce ],
Bolded the important part for you...HINT: "loose lips sink ships"

I will help you with your affliction YOU ARE A STUPID CNUT
:? Well, thank you very much for that very mature post! Cool it. My point is if she said it, she deserves what she gets out of it.
 
#12
chocolate_frog said:
stoatman wrote
Slight problem there -- before she can remarry him, she has to marry another man, "spend the night with" (i.e. screw) him,, and then be divorced -- by him.
Is that their law?!!!
Aye:

http://www.localnewsleader.com/kindred/stories/index.php?action=fullnews&id=164759

The religious leaders ruled that if the couple wanted to remarry they would have to wait at least 100 days. Sohela would also have to spend a night with another man and be divorced by him in turn.
Koranic basis:

[2.230] So if he divorces her she shall not be lawful to him afterwards until she marries another husband; then if he divorces her there is no blame on them both if they return to each other (by marriage), if they think that they can keep within the limits of Allah, and these are the limits of Allah which He makes clear for a people who know.
I believe that the 100 days basis is the following verses, either side of 2.230:

[2.228] And the divorced women should keep themselves in waiting for three courses [i.e. 3 menstural periods]; and it is not lawful for them that they should conceal what Allah has created in their wombs, if they believe in Allah and the last day; and their husbands have a better right to take them back in the meanwhile if they wish for reconciliation; and they have rights similar to those against them in a just manner, and the men are a degree above them, and Allah is Mighty, Wise.


[2.231] And when you divorce women and they reach their prescribed time, then either retain them in good fellowship or set them free with liberality, and do not retain them for injury, so that you exceed the limits, and whoever does this, he indeed is unjust to his own soul; and do not take Allah's communications for a mockery, and remember the favor of Allah upon you, and that which He has revealed to you of the Book and the Wisdom, admonishing you thereby; and be careful (of your duty to) Allah, and know that Allah is the Knower of all things.
A clearer indication of this in practice from the Traditions can be had from the Hadith, Bukhari Volume 3, Book 34, Number 264 (part):

'I am the richest among the Ansar, so I will give you half of my wealth and you may look at my two wives and whichever of the two you may choose I will divorce her, and when she has completed the prescribed period [i.e. that of Koran 2.228] (before marriage) you may marry her.'
As for the requirement to have sexual relations with the new husband, here is Bukhari Volume 3, Book 48, Number 807 (part), narrated by Mohammed's child bride:

The wife of Rifa'a Al-Qurazi came to the Prophet and said, "I was Rifa'a's wife, but he divorced me and it was a final irrevocable divorce. Then I married AbdurRahman bin Az-Zubair but he is impotent." The Prophet asked her 'Do you want to remarry Rifa'a? You cannot unless you had a complete sexual relation with your present husband."
 
#13
As I understand, the main idea of this thread to demonstrate that Islam has some strange features. By the way, other religions have them too.

http://iafrica.com/news/worldnews/990845.htm

In a tough break for the children of Orthodox Jewish families, a former grand rabbi of Israel has urged parents to amputate their dolls to avoid the perils of idolatry.

Basing the move on a Biblical ban on the possession of idols, Mordechai Eliyahu, a Sephardic rabbi, broadcast his edict on a religious radio station calling for an arm or a leg to be dismembered.

In the case of a teddy bear or other stuffed animals, the children will see their beloved toys lose an ear or an eye instead.
And where is a link to the original story?
 
#14
stoatman said:
As for the requirement to have sexual relations with the new husband, here is Bukhari Volume 3, Book 48, Number 807 (part), narrated by Mohammed's child bride:

The wife of Rifa'a Al-Qurazi came to the Prophet and said, "I was Rifa'a's wife, but he divorced me and it was a final irrevocable divorce. Then I married AbdurRahman bin Az-Zubair but he is impotent." The Prophet asked her 'Do you want to remarry Rifa'a? You cannot unless you had a complete sexual relation with your present husband."
Ohhhh can you imagine it, how b1oody unfortunate!
I'd probably try and fashion a splint out of lollypop sticks or something to get the job done - if it all goes wrong at the very least I'll get to have a bit of a laugh :lol: :lol:
 

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
#15
flowers said:
stoatman said:
As for the requirement to have sexual relations with the new husband, here is Bukhari Volume 3, Book 48, Number 807 (part), narrated by Mohammed's child bride:

The wife of Rifa'a Al-Qurazi came to the Prophet and said, "I was Rifa'a's wife, but he divorced me and it was a final irrevocable divorce. Then I married AbdurRahman bin Az-Zubair but he is impotent." The Prophet asked her 'Do you want to remarry Rifa'a? You cannot unless you had a complete sexual relation with your present husband."
Ohhhh can you imagine it, how b1oody unfortunate!
I'd probably try and fashion a splint out of lollypop sticks or something to get the job done - if it all goes wrong at the very least I'll get to have a bit of a laugh :lol: :lol:
And splinters. Don't forget the splinters...
 
#16
Sergey, the difference is that in most religions the looniness is kept to the fringes, whereas in Islam it appears to be the prevailing mainstream view.
 
#18
stoatman said:
Sergey, the difference is that in most religions the looniness is kept to the fringes, whereas in Islam it appears to be the prevailing mainstream view.
Stoatman!

We should agree that each religion at least had own loonies. Inquisition is a good example. The only difference: Islam (as relatively young religion) is on another stage.

As we talk about weddings then...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/this_world/4215160.stm

Israel is one of only a handful of countries which still has no civil marriage, so there is no easy alternative.

Each year, while 30,000 Israelis marry with an Orthodox ceremony, 12,000 do not.
...
The only way for these 12,000 Israelis to marry is to leave Israel and do so in another country.
And you say that only Islam has own loonies.
 

Latest Threads