The RA's latest toy - Fireshadow

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Mav, Jul 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Aren't bombs under the remit of those flying chappies?

3. That is awesome.

4. You would think there are cheaper options if you want to target an individual.

5. Not much of an explosion for the size of the ordnance.

I know it's a dummy bomb!

6. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Loitering Munitions - all very nice. So what happens after 6 hours of loitering when a target does not appear, is not PID, or for some other reason cannot be engaged? A rather expensive firework in my view.

7. I have devised a cunning plan:

ggm081111l.png

• Like Like x 4
  8. If it loiters it can be targeted.

9. or charged, and given an ASBO

10. Orrrrrr:

27ewfb4ixnjvoc8ildxroavsxv0ti3hxb154.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  11. From the link:

According to missile systems manufacturer MBDA, this bird of death is a high precision, low cost flying missile that can be launched by a soldier from the ground, just like any other small unmanned air vehicle.

12. (My bolding) Same thought occurred to me.

Certainly looks like 'useful' weapon, in the right hands.
    Now, :scratch: how to prevent it getting into the wrong hands ...

13. Agreed, that is why there are no plans to build more than a dozen or so for testing purposes. Although I thought it might be useful in situations where terry might lie low during a 30 minute Apache loiter, then resume the contact when it has knobed off.

14. For less than a fiver Terry Taliban can make an IED, plant it next to a road, wait for a convoy for 6 hours and with a simple text, take out tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of vehicle, kill and injure many soldiers and seriously slow up progress for the rest of the convoy. If a convoy does not appear, he leaves the IED in situ and comes back the next day, and again, and again until he gets a target.

We on the other hand spend millions on a non reusable weapon to take out a goat shagging fuckwit on a donkey carrying an RPG.

And we wonder why we have to make cuts!!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. I much prefer the name 'Madhawk' to the rather crumbly 'Fireshadow'. Who thinks up these crappy names, somebody who got fired from 'Whizzo!' comics?

tac