The Ranking System Needs an Overhaul

It really does. In the regular army, courses have to be completed which then result in a promotion denoting your attainment to a particular standard.

The 'pick & choose' philosophy with a de-facto rulebook of what should and shouldn't get you promoted is pretty outdated and in some cases has resulted in promotions delayed. Sometimes for 6 months to even an entire year due to CFAVs not wanting to deal with the paperwork quickly. I personally know people who've fallen victim to this.

A centralised approach to promotions that sees promotional courses in leadership and discipline take place that results in either pass (promotion given) or fail (no promotion given) would be much better. It would lay out a proper, written in set of guidelines that Cadets can follow and a genuine path to achieve a promotion.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on this.

Presumably taking into account the fact that in the regular army, passing a course won’t usually get you promoted unless you have a recommendation to go with it?

Would love to hear people's thoughts on this.

Never having worked with Cadets due to my untreatable Tourette's

I thought the Cadets already had a ***********, *******, ******** set of guidelines

Cadet Ranks
  • Cadet Lance Corporal - Has passed APC 1 star.
  • Cadet Corporal - Has passed APC 2 star.
  • Cadet Sergeant - Has passed APC 3 star.
  • Cadet Staff Sergeant - Has passed APC 3 star.
  • Cadet Company Sergeant Major - Has passed APC 4 star.
  • Cadet Regimental Sergeant Major - Has passed APC 4 star.

Never having worked with Cadets due to my untreatable Tourette's

I thought the Cadets already had a ***********, *******, ******** set of guidelines

Cadet Ranks
  • Cadet Lance Corporal - Has passed APC 1 star.
  • Cadet Corporal - Has passed APC 2 star.
  • Cadet Sergeant - Has passed APC 3 star.
  • Cadet Staff Sergeant - Has passed APC 3 star.
  • Cadet Company Sergeant Major - Has passed APC 4 star.
  • Cadet Regimental Sergeant Major - Has passed APC 4 star.
TBF I wasn’t sure if the OP was talking about promotion for AIs or cadets.

These are not guidelines they are eligibility requirements. Big difference as you'd find out to your peril! .

These simply put you in technical consideration for a promotion, however, achieving e.g. APC 2 Star does NOT get you a promotion. With the current rules the only way to get promoted is via Detachment commander recommendation (this is something quite difficult to obtain when your detachment commander changes every 5 minutes!).

I am calling for a clear, set promotional path that does not rely on a particular CFAV believing a cadet to be 'highly competent' but rather bases itself on real standards and attainment to those.

The Reserves is no better. Pass courses, get recommendations, get passed over by the OCs friends.
Deal with it, move on

Depends if one of your parents are in the cadets as well.

japseyewarrior

War Hero
These are not guidelines they are eligibility requirements. Big difference as you'd find out to your peril! .

These simply put you in technical consideration for a promotion, however, achieving e.g. APC 2 Star does NOT get you a promotion. With the current rules the only way to get promoted is via Detachment commander recommendation (this is something quite difficult to obtain when your detachment commander changes every 5 minutes!).

I am calling for a clear, set promotional path that does not rely on a particular CFAV believing a cadet to be 'highly competent' but rather bases itself on real standards and attainment to those.
Sounds like the ACF is aligned with the Army more than first thought.
In the regular army, courses have to be completed which then result in a promotion denoting your attainment to a particular standard.
Ha! Myth.

It's a youth club with a military theme, who cares.

Semi-serious, passing a course doesn't necessarily mean you get promoted, you can do a PJNCO cadre or SCBC and still be waiting 6-12 months to pick up based on how well you actually acquitted yourself on the course and how you match up against your peer group during follow up exercises etc within your battalion/ unit to pick up.

Presumably taking into account the fact that in the regular army, passing a course won’t usually get you promoted unless you have a recommendation to go with it?
In a lot of cases you have to get recommended, then promoted, then do the qualification for promotion.

R.5f70c1fd269df081dbe1c8993f56b784

Cadets are always ranking. Its go's with the age....

Boxy

GCM
Not the ranking system as per the post title, more promotions and missing out? It could be treated as a life lesson, life isn’t fair

Are you short of cadet NCOs in your detachment?

I remember someone from my cadets chinning one of the posh schools cadets trying to get us to clean up the traps over his mates. The immortal words it's a rank brassard not a gum shield being uttered...

True. Never seen a cadet with parents as CFAVs who didn't get promoted within first 6 months of 1* completion
Same f-ing parade, Cdt Nepotism, well done on your 1 star, and well done on your Lance Corporal. lol

Latest Threads