Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The RAF - No Room For Old 'Guys'

Looks like it to me. What is your opinion? Career politics now down to NCO rank? Not just a matter of keep you nose clean, gob shut, do a good job and play some sport?
You forgot the other major boxes to tick:

1. Organise AT
2. Take on a role in running the Mess
3. If 2. not possible, then demonstrate that you are 'a good supporter of the Mess'!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

You forgot the other major boxes to tick:

1. Organise AT
2. Take on a role in running the Mess
3. If 2. not possible, then demonstrate that you are 'a good supporter of the Mess'!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Appraisal report code -

Good supporter of Mess = drunkard.

Wife good supporter of Mess = wife is drunkard.

I think so, but I'm sure there'll be a sentient life-force of some sort along to point out the politics, prejudice and disenfranchisement in that, and almost any other, phrase.

How long before place-names like this one have to be expunged?

Welcome, Bowentities, to Beige City. Please enjoy your stay, and be sure to visit our non-specific sibling community at Beigefriars.

Chef

LE
Sara

To be honest I prefer her sister Kim and she's done more to get women treated as equals' Not bad for a scouser.

(Getty)

Looks like it to me. What is your opinion? Career politics now down to NCO rank? Not just a matter of keep you nose clean, gob shut, do a good job and play some sport?
I'm not and never have been RAF. However my father was and a brother also was. Talking to my brother years and years ago ('90s?) I asked him what he had to do to make Sgt. He sounded to me to be technically competent and stayed out of trouble. He said that he had to do some extra-curricular job like Scouts or run some sports team but there were only so many opportunities on the base, not to mention he was married and breeding furiously. He ended up retiring as a Ch Tech. Chalk and cheese to my experience in the Army.

I once inadvertently referred to the RAF as "civvies in uniform" to my father (who had also been in the Army) and he agreed with me.

I’m intrigued by what one could possibly do to make the RAF look ‘good’.
The Army seem to manage. Just saying.

anglo

LE
I'm not and never have been RAF. However my father was and a brother also was. Talking to my brother years and years ago ('90s?) I asked him what he had to do to make Sgt. He sounded to me to be technically competent and stayed out of trouble. He said that he had to do some extra-curricular job like Scouts or run some sports team but there were only so many opportunities on the base, not to mention he was married and breeding furiously. He ended up retiring as a Ch Tech. Chalk and cheese to my experience in the Army.

I once inadvertently referred to the RAF as "civvies in uniform" to my father (who had also been in the Army) and he agreed with me.
I joined up in 1960, you had to get to J/T, from then on if you passed the required exams
J/T to CPL, 3 years, CPL to SGT, 4 years, SGT to CH/T, 5 years, just make no cock-ups and
you were home and dry, no brown nosing anyone,
I think the MOD is now taking the wee wee

Obviously being groomed for great things? However, fly in the ointment could be the appearance of an 'efnik' WO with a higher diversity score card?

In fairness, I worked closely with the then Sgt Catterall a few years back in PJHQ and she was a top NCO. Cheerful to a fault, always worked hard, first to volunteer for stuff and loved her sport.

One of my more amusing memories is passing the gym when her top floor spinning class was running and hearing her high piping voice exhorting "keep pumping away Sgt Major, we're very nearly there...!"

Latest Threads