Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The RAF - No Room For Old 'Guys'

So Bowbeing is ok ?

I think so, but I'm sure there'll be a sentient life-force of some sort along to point out the politics, prejudice and disenfranchisement in that, and almost any other, phrase.

How long before place-names like this one have to be expunged?

The journey to year zero is coming on apace isn’t it.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm starting to get a tad concerned.

Is a nice Harris Tweed jacket with Red Chino's not de rigueur anymore?

I should have listened to the lads.

"Who the fook are you? The mayor of bloody Bristol!"
Did you wear your Mess Meeting DPM tie with that ensemble?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I believe somewhere on this thread someone suggested she might be in line for a State Award.

Lol and behold an MBE has materialised.

Obviously being groomed for great things? However, fly in the ointment could be the appearance of an 'efnik' WO with a higher diversity score card?
You mean box-ticking career-progression top trumps?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Her reasoning was that we (i.e the uneducated) should 'try walking into a room and addressing everyone as ‘ladies’.

I assume, without reading the rest of the posts, it's now a waste of time saying "Good morning, fellow slaves".

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I believe somewhere on this thread someone suggested she might be in line for a State Award.

Lol and behold an MBE has materialised.
Yes, I noticed that as well and thought "Funny old thing."
If this is a "power of Arrse" thing, will someone please suggest that the ANC in its entirety disappear from the planet.
If it works we'll gooi you a sackful of diamonds.

Looks like it to me. What is your opinion? Career politics now down to NCO rank? Not just a matter of keep you nose clean, gob shut, do a good job and play some sport?
That started at the end of the 90's. The RAF had gone from just over 100,000 to just over 50,000 in less that ten years, several rounds of redundancy and more than a few years of zero promotion for aircraft trades.

To get on the promotion board you needed three nines and spec recs for years, plus playing sport for the station / running a club plus something outside of work "interests" that made the RAF look good. I couldn't be arsed to bother.....

That started at the end of the 90's. The RAF had gone from just over 100,000 to just over 50,000 in less that ten years, several rounds of redundancy and more than a few years of zero promotion for aircraft trades.
I think it started at the beginning of the 90s. I worked for one OC who was mad keen on secondary duties and wouldn't support High/Spec Recs unless the subject of the annual report/appraisal had a fistful of meaningless duties. Several people had secondary duties that didn't require any effort out of normal working hours but our OC was blind to that. My secondary duty was I/C Angling - at least it got me away from the station for a whole day and a bad day's fishing was better than a good day at work.

mad_collie

Old-Salt
I think it started at the beginning of the 90s. I worked for one OC who was mad keen on secondary duties and wouldn't support High/Spec Recs unless the subject of the annual report/appraisal had a fistful of meaningless duties. Several people had secondary duties that didn't require any effort out of normal working hours but our OC was blind to that. My secondary duty was I/C Angling - at least it got me away from the station for a whole day and a bad day's fishing was better than a good day at work.
Agreed. I worked for one (top bloke outside of work) who wouldn't endorse a spec rec unless you wanted to commission as well as having secondary duties outside of the section. I was happy running the hockey team, so that ticked a box but he wouldn't let go of the commissioning bit. Spent 1 hour at 'Commissioning Club' one week & he endorsed the spec rec. Came off the board for my third soon after and commissioning was never mentioned again.

Latest Threads