Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The RAF - No Room For Old 'Guys'

UKRaider

Old-Salt
I see. Like appointing a general to command a battle that's already been won.

Canny use of manpower by the guys at RAF head shed.

Well played, chaps.
MANpower??? CHAPS???
trigger.gif

Yarra

Old-Salt
View attachment 499878
This bloke? What on earth has he come as? That Coldstreamer’s facial expression speaks volumes, he thinks he’s about to get rolled by some wide boy geezer.

As an aside has he not taken up his commission yet? Or is he planning to go straight to seven star general, it’s taking that long. If I was The Boss, I’d think he didn’t want it and have it back off him.

Edit - this could be a new thread; brown suede slip on espadrilles in the Mess, yes or no?
I ferking hate Welly Barracks.

Sexton Blake

War Hero
As a small anecdotal contribution to the cut and thrust of debate in this thread, when I dropped my 10-year old daughter off at boarding school last Monday afternoon, she and her 10-year old female room-mates almost exclusively addressed the group collectively as "guys".

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
As a small anecdotal contribution to the cut and thrust of debate in this thread, when I dropped my 10-year old daughter off at boarding school last Monday afternoon, she and her 10-year old female room-mates almost exclusively addressed the group collectively as "guys".
Because saying "clamjousters" takes too much effort.

Last edited:

Buddy!

War Hero
I know this lady, and generally I would tend to agree with these kind of statements. Remember the one recently from the Navy Doc about answering the phone? Crikey.

The thing is though, I've always perceived 'Guys' to be a pan male-female catch all term, particularly in the military.

I know this lady, and generally I would tend to agree with these kind of statements. Remember the one recently from the Navy Doc about answering the phone? Crikey.

The thing is though, I've always perceived 'Guys' to be a pan male-female catch all term, particularly in the military.

Crikey? Strewth!

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
General Duties historically meant aircrew..
They were the guys and girls who manned the Guardroom amongst other roles when I was in.
They typically became the drill instructors and the Station Warrant Officers on units.
I think RAF Reg took over the drill role and SWO seems open to any Warrant officer now.
You are both correct in a sense. The officers' Branches, GD-P (Pilot), GD-N (Nav) etc are all aircrew, but there was also an airmen's ground trade RAFGD, which indeed provided barrier technicians, drill pigs and SWOs.

The GDs got the real shitty end of the stick on big detachments, worked thier arse off at stanley,which was nice as it saved having to do it as working party

You are both correct in a sense. The officers' Branches, GD-P (Pilot), GD-N (Nav) etc are all aircrew, but there was also an airmen's ground trade RAFGD, which indeed provided barrier technicians, drill pigs and SWOs.

Trade Group 10 - aka SWO's Marines. ( GD = "general dogsbody"?).

What kit do you need for virtue signalling, a Clansperson ?

Latest Threads