the raf have been at someones cocoa

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Grumblegrunt, Apr 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

2. In the 60's the RAF were looking into round the clock airborne V bombers to maintain the deterrent. Forget the figures but it was lots of aircraft. Even if they didn't maintain the deterrent and just flew when and where instant sunshine was required it would take a fair fleet of tankers to get to a launch position for a lot of the nasties around the world. N.B. Think they were trying to prove a point bombing Libya from Marham.
    Also easier to find and trim bits off in defense cuts.
    Ho and the RAF would either miss or go into default mode and bomb Berlin.

3. Nuclear sharing works well for NATO.

4. RAF still trying to justify its existence again!

5. I think Freddie needs to step away from the crack pipe. That article is fundamentally incorrect

6. Well, the RAF has been talking shite for decades about how VC10s and Tristars were 'strategic', rather than 'long range buses/4 tonners' which would be more accurate. So good luck to them with this campaign.

Bless..

7. What makes you think the RAF are in the least bit interested in taking on the Strategic Deterrent? An article by a crap writer in a crap paper? FFS, get a grip. They were happy enough to ditch the tactical bombs and nobody I've spoken to in the last thirty years or so has suggested that the deterrent should operate in any way other than the current system.

Grumblegrunt has consistently failed to separate fact from malicious fantasy when posting about the RAF and this is no different. Anyoo, I'm away to my secret island, cat tucked under arm. Laters.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

The RAF have a role in the nuclear deterrent, smaller than when they had MPA, but they have no desire to get in the delivery business. No serious RAF person would argue otherwise, it makes no sense and would see them having to completely redefine their role and require a massive shift in their set up.

Fantasy writing by people too long out of the game. Fun as RAF baiting is it should be confined to their lack of tradition, man made fibres, slip on loafers and being "good with colours" - in essence good old banter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Quite. Don't be a spoilsport :)

10. Indeed, I was looking forward to your no doubt knowledgeable and well thought out response. Much the same as I enjoyed my ex brother in law explaining to me why his children weren't allowed to eat in MacDonald's. ;-)

11. Has Fredrick Forsythe been appointed an RAF spokesman whilst I wasn't paying attention then?

12. Yeah, MoD RSS announced it yesterday. You must have missed it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. He did do his national service with the RAF in 1956-58 and got his wings as a Vampire pilot. Yes there were national service pilots in those days mainly to boost the ranks of the RAuxAF who were running out of wartime pilots by then. Same goes for other aircrew.

air force | national service | bomber command | 1950 | 0452 | Flight Archive

National Service Aircrew - PPRuNe Forums

Of course this does not make him an expert on defence strategy and procurement! Then again it never stops us on ARRSE...

• Like Like x 1