The RAF centre for Air Power studies....

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Max_Bialystock, Aug 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The RAF has set up it's own thinktank to, quote "bring together academia with serving members of the RAF to analyse how air power (the projection of military force from the sky) has been used in the past and how best it might be used in a modern, complex world of increasing ambiguity."

So, does the RAF think the Defence Academy (or, indeed, DCDC) isn't doing Air Power? Or does it just think it isn't up to the job? Seems a little strange in these days of Jointery for the RAF to have a think tank in a completely separate location.

RAF Press Release

Is it just me or is this a bit odd?
  2. No it seems perfectly in keeping with the RAF's attitude...
  3. Sorry if I am just a little bit 'land centric' but how difficult is this air power stuff anyway?

Does it not just go:

1. Find target.
    2. Throw bomb at target.
    3. Return to nice hotel for tea and stickies.

The RAF aren't going to go anywhere if they haven't got air-supremacy anyway. One wonders what these 'elite' RAF chaps are going to talk about all day in between popping to the mess for chicken in a basket....
  4. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I agree it seems a bit "Crab-centric".
    I would hope someone like Magic_Mushroom or Archimedes might turn up with a current inside view.
  5. It's simple, discuss RAF air power, 2 mins later decide that we don't have any, then pop to the Officers mess for tiffin.
  6. Sounds like they're getting worried - "must have own thinktank lest we become irrelevant and get subsumed into the other two services" - too late boys and girls, we know airpower has some utility!
  7. We're running out of non-flying appointments for aircrew types, so we've set up an area for them to drink tea, eat buns and talk b0ll0cks whilst waving little planes on sticks around.
  8. msr

msr LE

And isn't 1) done by the army anyway?

9. blue-sophist

A few £Bn has gone into airborne ISTAR assets, I believe :wink:
  10. Have you ever tried asking them why UAV controllers need to wear flying suits and be Pilots when playing with Sophist's £Bns worth of airborne ISTAR- especially when the RA do it with a Bombardier in CS95!
  11. msr

msr LE

And none of which is a great deal of use when you stumble into a Taliban ambush ;)

12. blue-sophist

To quote an old riposte, "To add tone to what would otherwise be an unseemly soldiers' brawl" :wink:
  13. Oh, so THAT's why they need a thinktank- so they don't have to talk to nasty dirty soldiers about things! I was wondering... :wink:
  14. I did ask them why they wore flightsuits - apparently so they can be recognised as pilots.

And I couldn't tell from the reek of self importance, preciousness and general child like behaviour when confronted with a single choice on the menu.......

I hope that it's not just me that thinks the RAF need a big kick up the khyber pass - after all, why do they need 3 x as many people to service their aircraft as we do?
  15. blue-sophist

Oh, have a guess ....

Because they're more complicated, and go faster, and higher, and have more kit .... :wink:

Just a thought, of course. What do I know? :lol: