The RAF centre for Air Power studies....

The RAF has set up it's own thinktank to, quote "bring together academia with serving members of the RAF to analyse how air power (the projection of military force from the sky) has been used in the past and how best it might be used in a modern, complex world of increasing ambiguity."

So, does the RAF think the Defence Academy (or, indeed, DCDC) isn't doing Air Power? Or does it just think it isn't up to the job? Seems a little strange in these days of Jointery for the RAF to have a think tank in a completely separate location.

RAF Press Release

Is it just me or is this a bit odd?

No it seems perfectly in keeping with the RAF's attitude...

Sorry if I am just a little bit 'land centric' but how difficult is this air power stuff anyway?

Does it not just go:

1. Find target.
2. Throw bomb at target.
3. Return to nice hotel for tea and stickies.

The RAF aren't going to go anywhere if they haven't got air-supremacy anyway. One wonders what these 'elite' RAF chaps are going to talk about all day in between popping to the mess for chicken in a basket....

Crazy_Legs said:
Sorry if I am just a little bit 'land centric' but how difficult is this air power stuff anyway?
Does it not just go:
1. Find target.
... or something vaguely like it.
2. Throw bomb at target.
... or in general area.
... *cough* Crew duty time and all that :oops:
The RAF aren't going to go anywhere if they haven't got air-supremacy anyway. One wonders what these 'elite' RAF chaps are going to talk about all day in between popping to the mess for chicken in a basket....
I agree it seems a bit "Crab-centric".
I would hope someone like Magic_Mushroom or Archimedes might turn up with a current inside view.

Sounds like they're getting worried - "must have own thinktank lest we become irrelevant and get subsumed into the other two services" - too late boys and girls, we know airpower has some utility!

We're running out of non-flying appointments for aircrew types, so we've set up an area for them to drink tea, eat buns and talk b0ll0cks whilst waving little planes on sticks around.

Crazy_Legs said:

Does it not just go:

1. Find target.
2. Throw bomb at target.
And isn't 1) done by the army anyway?

msr

msr said:
Crazy_Legs said:
Does it not just go:
1. Find target.
2. Throw bomb at target.
msr
A few £Bn has gone into airborne ISTAR assets, I believe :wink:

Spanner said:
Sounds like they're getting worried - "must have own
thinktank lest we become irrelevant and get subsumed into the other two services" - too late boys and girls, we know airpower has some utility!
Have you ever tried asking them why UAV controllers need to wear flying suits and be Pilots when playing with Sophist's £Bns worth of airborne ISTAR- especially when the RA do it with a Bombardier in CS95!

blue_sophist said:
msr said:
Crazy_Legs said:
Does it not just go:
1. Find target.
2. Throw bomb at target.
msr
A few £Bn has gone into airborne ISTAR assets, I believe :wink:
And none of which is a great deal of use when you stumble into a Taliban ambush ;)

msr

Max_Bialystock said:
Spanner said:
thinktank lest we become irrelevant and get subsumed into the other two services" - too late boys and girls, we know airpower has some utility!
Have you ever tried asking them why UAV controllers need to wear flying suits and be Pilots when playing with Sophist's £Bns worth of airborne ISTAR- especially when the RA do it with a Bombardier in CS95!
To quote an old riposte, "To add tone to what would otherwise be an unseemly soldiers' brawl" :wink:

blue_sophist said:
Max_Bialystock said:
Spanner said:
To quote an old riposte, "To add tone to what would otherwise be an unseemly soldiers' brawl" :wink:
Oh, so THAT's why they need a thinktank- so they don't have to talk to nasty dirty soldiers about things! I was wondering... :wink:

I did ask them why they wore flightsuits - apparently so they can be recognised as pilots.

And I couldn't tell from the reek of self importance, preciousness and general child like behaviour when confronted with a single choice on the menu.......

I hope that it's not just me that thinks the RAF need a big kick up the khyber pass - after all, why do they need 3 x as many people to service their aircraft as we do?

Spanner said:
I did ask them why they wore flightsuits - apparently so they can be recognised as pilots.

And I couldn't tell from the reek of self importance, preciousness and general child like behaviour when confronted with a single choice on the menu.......

I hope that it's not just me that thinks the RAF need a big kick up the khyber pass - after all, why do they need 3 x as many people to service their aircraft as we do?
Oh, have a guess ....

Because they're more complicated, and go faster, and higher, and have more kit .... :wink:

Just a thought, of course. What do I know? :lol:

I think the key to this being Air Force led and not Joint is here;
Dr Joel Hayward, Dean of the Royal Air Force College, was especially optimistic that the new venture would greatly enhance the relationship between air power practitioners within the Service and those historians and theorists within the universities:
"Bringing air power thinkers together in this way, both civilians and military, is a wonderful move. I am proud to be involved with it from its inception."
The object of Air Power at the Joint College is;
a. allow the Land and Sea Services the opportunity to learn of the capabilities and limitations of aviation.
b. allow the Air Service the opportunity to learn from the Land and Sea Services' experience as air power dependants
c. allow the Land and Sea Services the opportunity to explain their needs to the Air Service

The RAF College initiative will allow aviation professionals, be it aviators, technicians, theorists or historians, to develop the use of air power to better effect. Exchanging ideas between professionals is somewhat different to teaching them to non aviators.

R

really?_fascinating

No it isn't.

The purpose of Light Blue at JSCSC is to:

Provide the bottom third.
Be chippy about mess rules etc.
Enable cheap jokes at their expense during the end of course review.

On my course, they achieved all three v well.