The Queens Shilling

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Bugsy, Jan 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I remember when I joined the British Army that we had to accept the Queen's Shilling.
    In the meantime, things have changed and the old adage " a bob for the job" seems to be outdated (not the least reason being because the UK has gone decimal in the meatime).
    So how do they do that nowadays when recruits sign on the dotted line and are sworn in?

MsG

2. No idea about today, but when I joined in '89 I was given an advance of a day's pay (about £12).

3. Once attested I was given a 5p coin, told it's the equivalent of a shilling.

4. You were lucky. July 61 got 12/6d (63p) plus bus fares. Mother took the lot (think me dad had steak that night). Tell the young uns that now and they wont believe you.

5. I got bugger all when I joined.
    I’m going to have words with my PASO next time I see him, I think he now owes me 5p

6. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

I signed an acquitance roll (didn't know at the time) for one days pay. Plus about £2 for the taxi.

......if only I'd known then what I know now.......:(

7. now that is a blast from the past but should'nt it be 2 Ts

8. now that is a blast from the past but should'nt it be 2 Ts

9. Same here: a shilling/5p and a days pay (£3.27)

Once in we had pay parades....pay and paybook correct Sir.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

£5 for me in 1981

11. Thanks for all the helpful answers, lads. I was also wondering if it'd be possible to knock up some "bob" replicas and hand them to new recruits as a sort of memento. I mean, with all the money they waste on duff kit, surely that wouldn't break the bank, would it?

MsG

12. Shillin' a day,
    Bloomin' good pay-
    Lucky to touch it, a shillin' a day!

6/8d (which I think was the rate for a days ration allowance back then) for me 'though I was also given "The Queen's shilling" and a bible!