the Queens shilling

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Taff49, Aug 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. how much was it when you signed up?

i got £12 and was expected to buy 5 coat hangers, wash/shaving kit, boot polish and brushes, dusters and a steam iron with it. not bleeding likely, even in 1989.

note, you need to have actually been in the forces to answer this thread.

2. 16 October 1987 - £10

• Like Like x 1
  3. I can't remember getting any ex gratia payment on joining, mind you it was 1972.

4. £5 (I think) for me in 1978. I walked across the road in Queens Road Brighton and invested it in the pub.

5. Fiver. Promptly blew half in local pub while thinking I was the dogs bollocks having taken the oath. Catterick a few weeks later soon knocked that notion out of me.

6. bus fare home and a Bible!! no shilling or the equivalent, cunts! can I claim?

7. Yep. 25th Nov 1987 - £10.

Winmarleigh St, Warrington.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 1970s. Nowt. Jack Shit.

To keep me in the loop, the pay statement kindly provided at the end of the first month advised me that I owed The Queen £3.40. I'd never been so well off.

9. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

5 December 1986, London. 10 quid. Went to the pub.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE app

10. 1995, 25 notes I think. Feckers didn't tell me it came off my first pay!

11. January 1976 a £1 note & a shiny 5p.
    Wasn't taken out of my pay either but then again I had just signed up to be a crab........:)

12. How did you cheek that one? I signed up on the 5th Jan 1995 and sure I got £15! But I know it wasn't bloody £25. I thought the original idea behind the Queen's shilling, was you got half a days pay. Or did you join as a Rupert?

13. Chatham 1979, £6.50.
    Bought a magazine on the way home and spent the afternoon in bed.

14. Cant remember, but i do remember after 14 weeks of basic training at brats that after being paid my weekly 15 quid or whatever it was, that the money i had in the bank after all the shite i went through in training was a measley 140 odd quid which really pissed me off with the leave being over Xmas.

15. Can't remember but I spent more than I would have got paid getting wankered in the Clarence pub in Whitehall afterwards