The Queens Cavalry

On BBC 1 now (2030-2100). Looks mildy entertaining.

Documentry about donkey wallopers and those blokes that slouch around Buck house.

Would have been even more amusing if that bloke had fallen off when he started feelinbg faint :lol:

Then again, sweets handed out on parade? Bunch of girl scouts..........

I can't beleive that riding boots polished so that you can't actually ride properly in them ever formed part of cavalry uniform...

Bet they won't show footage of the riding-master falling off at Burghley a few weeks ago.

exile1 said:
WTF's with the para wings????????
There was a Discovery programme a few years ago that showed a HCR recce squadron deploying by parachute on an exercise in America, complete with armoured vehicles, I assume that to throw themselves and their tanks out of a plane they would need some sort of qualification.

Well, with the television cameras around, they had to appear to be 'kind' to the troopers.

They could probably only show very short snippets of the JNCO Cadre field firing as the rest was full of swearing and violence etc.

Funny seeing the horse 'spending a penny' when the Queen was talking to its rider!

Completely off topic but it's good to see the expression "spend a penny" is still around. Of course, if we were in the European single currency, we wouldn't be able to do that. We'd have to Euro-nate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll get my coat!

Bladensburg said:
exile1 said:
WTF's with the para wings????????
There was a Discovery programme a few years ago that showed a HCR recce squadron deploying by parachute on an exercise in America, complete with armoured vehicles, I assume that to throw themselves and their tanks out of a plane they would need some sort of qualification.
The RAC Para Sqn was disbanded in 1975, not the best move on HMG's part in my opinion. They were (again, my opinion) probably one of the most motivated and enthusiastic units I've ever come across. They were also a great bunch of people. Has another Sqn taken over the airborne role?

Flyingrockdj

War Hero
HCAV have a para role and are required to maintain a cadre of para trained personell. They support 16AA amongst others.
And the maroon gods also have to do the donkeys like all the rest of us!

The HCR at Windsor is 16 Air Assault Brigade's formation recce unit, they also provide light armour support to the paras - as they did in Iraq when one fella got the MC for rescuing a platoon of paras who had been surrounded, amonst other things.

1 Sqn is dedicated to the airborne role so do P coy, they are the RAC equivalent of 7 RHA, 9 Para RE etc.

As they get posted to and fro to Knightsbridge you will see para trained lads in ceremonial uniform (state kit).

The soldiers in the HCav alternate between Knightsbridge (horses) and Windsor (Armd Recce). One Sqn in Windsor is the Independent Sqn in Sp of 16 Air Asslt Bde and hence has a commitment to the ABTF (as it also had when it supported 5 Ab Bde).
As a result, you will see a number of Para Qual soldiers on the horses - hence the motto 'Best of both worlds'. You will also note that there are a huge amount of operational medals worn by soldiers riding the horses. I beleive that they do a few years in each regiment. I saw on the Army Internet Site that the soldiers in the Sqn that went to the Gulf with 16 Air Asslt Bde were awarded a number of medals including a GC, MC, DSO and CGC - pretty impressive for a sub-unit. Are any of these individuals riding horses now?

They also used to provide formation recce for 3 Cmd Bde but handed it to the QDG (IIRC) just before Telic 1. You can still find quite a few daggers and so on walking around Windsor and Knightsbridge.

Pebble_Monkey said:
Funny seeing the horse 'spending a penny' when the Queen was talking to its rider!
Penny? More like £9.67 8O

I though it was a good programme. Not so sure about the dedication to polishing though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
robinrocket111 Medals 42
1140_Sqn RAC 0
tankieboy RAC 134