The Queen is told not to meddle.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ex_ex, Oct 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. During a tour of Lithuania last week the Queen asked a soldier if Britain was now embroiled in a fullblown conflict with the Taliban.
    Don't go for a walk in the woods alone Your Majesty!

2. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

It's the Queens right to ask whatever she wants! These government pr*cks should realise that they work for her! Not the other way around.At least when we take the oath,we know where our loyalties lie!! If Phony Tony had his way,we'd be swearing alleigence to him!!(or trout mouth!!)
  3. Bollox to them. I hope she says something more public. What's Blair going to do about it? She's got all the soldiers.
  4. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

"But a senior Government source said: "The Queen shouldn't be seen to be getting involved in the military strategy for Afghanistan and Iraq. "It would be a breach of protocol and could be interpreted as meddling."

Am I mad or did she just ask a soldier returned from theatre on how it went, was it tough etc bla bla bla. Given that the said soldier had probably served alongside Brits retrospectively (emphasis on this word) I think she has done nothing out of the ordinary. As to strategy how can a retrospective question effect it ma'am, the last thing we want is the enemy to know what happened 6 months ago :roll:
  5. Think I can see the next line of 'spin' to excuse the complete shambles that is government military strategy - it's all an establishment plot to undermine 'the worlds' No 2'.....
  6. Who was the Govt source spouting treason anybody know?
  7. 1. Her Majesty is effectively "Commander in Chief" (to use a wretched American term; I think the article meant Regimental Colonel In Chief) of the UK Armed Forces and effectively constitutional head (Sovereign) of the United Kingdom. Orders are derived from her authority; Bills receive her assent to become Acts.

2. Her Majesty "interferes" whenever the wretched Bliar drags his sorry carcass over to Buckingham Palace for an audience. I personally suspect he finds these uncomfortable, as the Queen is no fool (a gross understatement) and Bliar is not used to higher authority or having his monopoly on wisdom questioned, no matter how subtly.
  8. The Queen has the right to ask about conditions the troops are fightng in, shows she cares more than the bloody Government do...
  9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Like The Queen needs the Bliar to inform HM of anything.

Exit member of an old firm, stage left robed with cloak, dagger partly drawn... :twisted:
  10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I dare say HM talks to her Daughter occasionally, and She has just visited there - you can bet your life that HRH will have asked searching questions, and will know what is happening. So, HM probably knows quite a bit about the situation, at least as reported to Princess Anne by the Officers and Soldiers she talked to.
  11. HM's query was totally innocuous but, as ever, right on the money. And lets face it if she didn't attempt to get a cross-sction of opinion, she's be relying on Bliar's reports on everything.

If this "senior Govt source" believes HM's question is an "interference in strategy" he'd have to be totally paranoid. My work urinal keeps reminding me not to pish it all away, but are senior Govt sources subject to random drug tests? this one must be taking every mood enhancer under the sun!
  12. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Do you know I think that (luckily) the Bliar lives in the 20th Century (i.e. modern surveillance), I'm sure he probably has the Office or some other organ (pun intended) watching the family. What I'd love to watch is when the Queen says something that she shouldn't be able to know (albeit by subtle subtext i.e. sketch an outline), and the Bliar thinks 'She can't know that, I'm being paranoid, I know everyone she's seen and we have them all bugged' then proceeding to spin HM a line...
  13. All this because the Queen asks a LITHUANIAN soldier his opinion. So just because some Eastern European says something she is going to take it as gospel and allow it to colour her take on ME affairs.

At the most it might change her opinion of what Lithuanian soldirs think of the situation

14. Meddling in Government strategy is she?!!!

anyone remind me what HMG stands for?

those claim fiddlng Pension grabbing politicians should be the ones to get told to wind their necks in
  15. Another "government source" which probably mean the Mirror made the quote up