Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The proper English and American English thread

Does it really matter?
In the case of "six month anniversary" yes. There is no such thing. It just displays the ignorance of the speaker/poster.

WRT "One year Anniversary", probably not.

But it's annoying AF and shows that the speaker/poster can't properly use the english language.

Close the thread.
english-traditional-simplified.jpg
Pfft. Older version of Adobe Reader asked you if you wanted to install English or English (United Kingdom)

In the case of "six month anniversary" yes. There is no such thing. It just displays the ignorance of the speaker/poster.

WRT "One year Anniversary", probably not.

But it's annoying AF and shows that the speaker/poster can't properly use the english language.
I don’t recall any elections in which you were voted as the language Sheriff…

We fancy you know…

Many moons ago I took a radio call from a nice Septic Gentlemen who gave a rather strange grid reference instead of three he kept saying tree. As you can imagine there were very strange looks from our Royal Sigs chap in may direction it was sorted simply by dragging another Septic into the wagon to translate.Apparently it was to do with Septic pilot speak that’s all fine and dandy but my call sign was most definitely sod all to do with any thing flying apart from 5.66 7.67 etc and said Septic was also not a pilot infantry yes pilot no.I will not mention him saying Fife instead of Five it’s Friday and home time.

Quite standard for aviation procedure as taught in SA, particularly on HF to improve clarity and avoid confusion.

Can some one explain to our Colonial cousins that you CANNOT have a six month anniversary.

The clue is in the name.

As for "One year anniversary" "Two year anniversary" etc, there are words like "First", "Second" "Third", you get the picture.

And relax.
Anniversary is derived from the Latin annus which means 'year'

I’ve spun this dit in other threads but it works here.

We had this quite fit lass onboard one of my ships.

In what I can only assume to be a sick joke by the careers office, she was as scouse as they come with a lisp and the Royal Navy had decided to employ her as a communicator. You couldn’t understand her in day to day conversation, let alone over a crackly radio. Even the other scousers onboard struggled to work out what she was saying most of time.

So one day we’re in the ops room and there is some yank fighter plane nearby that she’s talking to….

”Delta 89 this is Maverick and Goose over”

”Erm yer right der mate, shpsshh Purple Aki, der Beatles, thhhhhh spfffff shhhhh over”

Long pause

”Delta 89 say again, your signal is garbled over”

”I thed shffff thhhh Steven Geraaaaaard, spfff soshhh over”

Long pause

”Delta 89 say again over”

”Shpppppfffff thhhhhhhh…………. Oh fook off I’m gonna get a thcup a tea.”

Last edited: