The Professionals c. 1990 - were you one of these?

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
I was going through my old high school trunk and I found a collection of some recruiting material that I had requested when I was about 17. So, resurrecting Diehard57's old thread for a later generation, do you see yourself or someone you knew ?

The 432 commander on the medic bumph at the time was my troop sgt when I moved to the medics. He was a full screw in the photo

S

syledis

Now im feeling really old, as i was in a booklet for Princess Marina College in the early 80s.

I was sitting in the library reading as they wouldnt trust me to do anything other than that.

This must have been one of the last periods where the brochures could still tempt spotty youths with the promise of travel to exotic foreign places when there wasn't a war at the end of it.

This must have been one of the last periods where the brochures could still tempt spotty youths with the promise of travel to exotic foreign places when there wasn't a war at the end of it.
Whaddya mean? Army sent me to a part of Africa so benign we could go down town & get pissed, for 5 weeks last year. You've just got to pick your trawls carefully!

Nostalgia hat on.

When I was a kid the only way a "working class" kid could see much of the world was by joining up. You were pretty well guaranteed a trip somewhere. Far East, Middle East, or Germany, Malta, Cyprus etc.

You would go into a pub in my local town and there would always be a couple of local lads back on leave having a beer with granddad. They would talk of strange beers (Red Stripe, Tiger etc) and exotic women ("and then she did the whole company for ten bob")

These days on my travels in Asia (for work) I come across backpackers, students, dole bums, and "English teachers, all traveling around the most exotic of shitholes. I have never ever met a serving member of the Uk Defence force.

Same in the pub. I was back in the UK last month. A few of the local dole rats were talking about bumming across Laos. There wasn't a single "lad back on leave". The dole rats were talking about strange drugs (Batu, Yaaba, Mandrax) and exotic women ("and she did the whole hostel for a fiver")

Times have changed.

Nostalgia hat off. Beer out and stares sadly into the sunset.

Was there an army before the internet and how did arrsers occupy themselves in such dark times? I can imagine Mods shouting at pidgeons before arrse came along :)

I was going through my old high school trunk and I found a collection of some recruiting material that I had requested when I was about 17. So, resurrecting Diehard57's old thread for a later generation, do you see yourself or someone you knew ?

I'm fairly sure I recognise the gwar lab tech in the top right picture.

Well the monkeys with the hard stare and the fat chops munter look authentic for the time at least but what the **** are those 2 in the pic of the Chally going on to the back of the low loader doing? It looks like they're trying to thumb a lift. Someone should have told them that the driver cannot see them with the turret in the way.

Attachments

I still laugh at the "There's Frank" Army adverts of the 90s, with two bored lads stuck in a cafe, while their mate, Frank is away having the time of his life, skiiing, windsurfing, and walking along the beach with a fit crack.

Was there an army before the internet and how did arrsers occupy themselves in such dark times? I can imagine Mods shouting at pidgeons before arrse came along :)
To answer your 2 questions
1. Yes
2. The following competitions
a. Drinking,
b. Who Can Get Arrested First
c. Who Can be the Most Outrgeous Without Getting Arrested
d. Who Can Outrun the Monkeys
e. Who Can Shit in an Unusual Place and it Not Get Found Until Too Much Time Has Passed
f. Moustache Growing
g. Who Can Have Money by the End Of The Month
h. When's Payday Sweepstakes

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer

Sorry mate cant tell you wink.
But I didint get these two VC's for nuffing .. taps side of my nose.