The Professionals c. 1990 - were you one of these?

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by _Chimurenga_, Apr 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

I was going through my old high school trunk and I found a collection of some recruiting material that I had requested when I was about 17. So, resurrecting Diehard57's old thread for a later generation, do you see yourself or someone you knew ?

2. About 30 years too modern for me I'm afraid!!
  3. The 432 commander on the medic bumph at the time was my troop sgt when I moved to the medics. He was a full screw in the photo
  4. Now im feeling really old, as i was in a booklet for Princess Marina College in the early 80s.

I was sitting in the library reading as they wouldnt trust me to do anything other than that.
  5. The ATO looks like a young Mick, who was my 2ic in '97. Older and bolder might correct me but the pterodactyls in the background suggest it's the right era.
  6. I'd say that was an '80's recruiting booklet (poster ?), looking at some of the equipment used.
  7. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

It says "Amended March 1990". So ... yeah ...
  8. They had Commodore Pets when I was at school
  9. This must have been one of the last periods where the brochures could still tempt spotty youths with the promise of travel to exotic foreign places when there wasn't a war at the end of it.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Whaddya mean? Army sent me to a part of Africa so benign we could go down town & get pissed, for 5 weeks last year. You've just got to pick your trawls carefully!
  11. We had log tables at school. The poor kids used to boil them for soup. Then we boiled the poor kids for soup.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Nostalgia hat on.

When I was a kid the only way a "working class" kid could see much of the world was by joining up. You were pretty well guaranteed a trip somewhere. Far East, Middle East, or Germany, Malta, Cyprus etc.

You would go into a pub in my local town and there would always be a couple of local lads back on leave having a beer with granddad. They would talk of strange beers (Red Stripe, Tiger etc) and exotic women ("and then she did the whole company for ten bob")

These days on my travels in Asia (for work) I come across backpackers, students, dole bums, and "English teachers, all traveling around the most exotic of shitholes. I have never ever met a serving member of the Uk Defence force.

Same in the pub. I was back in the UK last month. A few of the local dole rats were talking about bumming across Laos. There wasn't a single "lad back on leave". The dole rats were talking about strange drugs (Batu, Yaaba, Mandrax) and exotic women ("and she did the whole hostel for a fiver")

Times have changed.

Nostalgia hat off. Beer out and stares sadly into the sunset.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Was there an army before the internet and how did arrsers occupy themselves in such dark times? I can imagine Mods shouting at pidgeons before arrse came along :)
    • Like Like x 3
  14. I'm fairly sure I recognise the gwar lab tech in the top right picture.
  15. After they realised that the 'waterskiing' pics were straining the bounds of credulity even then.