The Professionals c.1974 - were you one of these?

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by diehard57, Jun 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I scanned these in from an old recruiting booklet dated 1974 - do you see yourself or someone you know/knew?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 8 Years before my time, but, leaping out of an assault boat, tin lid, long rifle, and those specs, well ally in my opinion.

3. The third one down looks like Warmington-on-Sea!

4. Apart from the synchronised leaping Jockos and the tubby RCT/RASC top cover, they do actually look ally as fook!

5. Why is Chris Evans jumping out of that assault boat?

6. There's me thinking it was Vic Reeves.

7. MoD Issue Specs - the most effective contraceptive known to mankind.....

Note how quite a few of the pics seem to show the lads wearing gaiters, so puttees must have only been common issue for a relatively short period of time - standing by to be corrected though....

8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

6th one down MacWarmington-on-Sea :? :?

9. Not the helmet, though.

10 secs after they took that photo, the man in the 'no sex glasses' woulda been face down in the sand with his SLR sight ramp taking chunks out of right lens, but it didn't matter, 'cos his bin lid had flipped forward to cover his face, and push his sights up to 600m.

No - I wasn't that bloke - but 1974 was the year I joined, and I remember all those pics, and I had the same glasses - and all of those problems.

(Actually if that landing was photographed in '73, it could be me with my TA Company . . . behind Minley Manor, I think. We were all still issued with those godawful baggy olive green combats)

10. Here's a few more from the same booklet, looking at some of these pictures made me realise that generally soldiers were much thinner back then - different diets, more PE at school, no PS3/xBox I suppose:-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. The sergeant instructing the gympie crew is wearing a light infantry cap badge and green LI stripes -- so what regiment do the other two belong to?

12. Wah deflector on - Royal Green Jackets. Light Div did their depot together at Winchester.

13. Wah mode off: Royal Green Jackets : Wah mode on......

14. That one with the chaps in the respirators - scary as hell or what!

15. I wore gaiters from 71 to 73 as a boy soldier at JIB, Shornecliffe. Then posted to 1RGJ in Celle where everybody wore a mixture of gaiters, puttees and American high leg combat boots brought from the nearest PX. We standardised on puttees when we returned to the UK in 74 and almost immediately were told to dye them black. That was it then until I left in 77 except for when we were issued with high leg Northern Ireland boots in about 75 although I never really wore mine much and ended up giving them away.

The LI were not at Winchester when I went through there, allbeit briefly because I had come from boy service in 73. In fact I never saw any LI right throughout my adult service although we were both part of the same Division and shared many traditions. I might be wrong but Shrewsbury comes to mind as the LI training depot. I think when the Division was re-organised in the eighties, there was closer intregation with Green Jackets being posted to LI Battalions.

All the other stuff like the 58 pat webbing was used by us and the turtle lid helmets although they were only ever really used in training when you first joined.

The Infantry in the 70's, or us anyway was mainly geared up for Northern Ireland.

Most of the time, we looked like this.

Attached Files: