Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The problem with RU...

I've only really started to get into Rugby over the last few years, and I have heard much about how rugby has changed. But how?

Have scrums collapsing always been a problem?

I was watching this video:

YouTube - 5 Nations Rugby Highlights 1971

It looks really fast paced and generally quite hectic. I don't think I have ever seen Rugby played like that in the last few years.

I've only really started to get into Rugby over the last few years, and I have heard much about how rugby has changed. But how?

Have scrums collapsing always been a problem?

I was watching this video:

YouTube - 5 Nations Rugby Highlights 1971

It looks really fast paced and generally quite hectic. I don't think I have ever seen Rugby played like that in the last few years.

I think the main difference, apart from a few rule changes, at the top level is the sheer physical montrousness of the players.

They are now so big, so fast and so fit it has had the effect of shrinking the pitch compared to the old days.

If you watch that youtube clip - and thanks very much for it by the way - the pitch seems so uncluttered and the players, backs especially have so much more time and space.

If you let a modern back row loose on a line of backs from the 70s it would be carnage.

I think the main difference, apart from a few rule changes, at the top level is the sheer physical montrousness of the players.

They are now so big, so fast and so fit it has had the effect of shrinking the pitch compared to the old days.

If you watch that youtube clip - and thanks very much for it by the way - the pitch seems so uncluttered and the players, backs especially have so much more time and space.

If you let a modern back row loose on a line of backs from the 70s it would be carnage.

All very true.

However, what that clip also showed was quick hands, quick ball, and all the basics done right. Draw your man, then pass the ball before taking the tackle being one of them.

Christ! I wish Wales played like that now.

That makes sense. Its a tricky one though. The sport was bound to go professional eventually, and as you say that has bred better athletes but a seemingly slower game.

Saying that, the France-Scotland game the other week was very enjoyable. Fast pace, lots of turnovers, some good scrums (The French scrum is a scary sight indeed) and some generally great rugby. And obviously the likes of the All Blacks are usually a joy to watch.

It sees to me that England tend to play a very boring game of rugby.

Which is why I'm a fan of using the rolling maul more. It used to suck forwards in instead of allowing them to hang out with the Inside centre blocking up space amongst the backs. Right now you can have a few guys at the breakdown whilst allowing the rest to form drift defence. To do this the refs need to stamp out a lot of the dragging of mauls down and killing the ball a la Richie McCaw. To do this they should bring back the ability of the individual killing the ball to be rucked out of the way. A few studs down the odd international forwards backs would be a nice little Admiral Byng on killing the ability of forwards to close down a ruck or maul.

I'd also kill shortened line outs. If all the forwards are forced to be at the line out the backs will have more space. You could mess with the rules and say that if a forward picks up the ball you have to take it into the 15m Indicated line but it would be a lot simpler making forwards be a threat as one mass.