The prince of darkness: 3 strikes & you are out

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Schleswig-Holstein, Nov 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. That lovely man Mandy is really taking the pish now. He wants the power to make up laws without parliamentary debate. :x

from http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/19/breaking-leaked-uk-g.html

this unelected twunt is really getting on my moobs

2. This might be true and if it is then it is wrong - but I somehow doubt it.

Of course, anyone wanting to bring this in would have to get it through the House of Lords first. Who wants to bet that it would be pushed back to the Commons to be reconsidered.

3. One more, politicians proving they don't have a fvcking clue how the internet actually works.

4. Except that Mandleson would invoke the Parliament Act before you could say "Evil, conniving, smarmy, supercilious skinny little shit".

5. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Look on the bright side guys - going by his resignations, he's already had two strikes.

6. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Don'tbe silly - Laws don't appy to him :)

7. Have the words "Enabling Act 1933" come into anyone else's head or is it just me?

8. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Without fear of contradiction, just you. Please elucidate

9. As in Hitler's rise?

10. Personally I reckon the entertainment industry is paying him a massive wedge to introduce these laws. Why else would he fight so hard to get them through?

11. The Enabling Act of 1933 (properly known as the "Law to Remedy the Distress of the People and the Nation") was the act which gave Hitler the power to pass legislation with little or no democratic control, and paved the way for Germany to become a dictatorship.

12. nail on the head....

13. True to form for Mandy, it all comes from a nice cosy dinner in Corfu with a rich Yank... You couldn't make it up

:x

14. Start with something small, and next time it comes around the tinfoil-hat accusers on ARRSE will say "what's the matter? it's no different from that copyright law..."

Much as I dislike copyright infringement, due to the type of business I run, I'd rather go bust than have the Government spy on the population for something as petty as this. There's a big difference between stopping large scale piracy and punishing folk for downloading the odd song. It's like policing kids who swap tapes of stuff they've recorded off the radio.

15. If the Government suggested that a log be kept of every person you spoke to as you went about your daily business - or wanted to fit you with a painless microchip to track your every move - there'd be outrage. But that's exactly what they're doing to people online.

People use the Internet to do many of the things they did offline in the past. The online world should be policed in the same way as the offline world - i.e. we should all be entitled to complete privacy, unless we're caught doing something very illegal.