The prince of darkness: 3 strikes & you are out

That lovely man Mandy is really taking the pish now. He wants the power to make up laws without parliamentary debate. :x

from http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/19/breaking-leaked-uk-g.html

Secretary of State Peter Mandelson is planning to introduce changes to the Digital Economy Bill now under debate in Parliament. These changes will give the Secretary of State (Mandelson -- or his successor in the next government) the power to make "secondary legislation" (legislation that is passed without debate) to amend the provisions of Copyright, Designs and Patents Act (1988).

What that means is that an unelected official would have the power to do anything without Parliamentary oversight or debate, provided it was done in the name of protecting copyright. Mandelson elaborates on this, giving three reasons for his proposal:

1. The Secretary of State would get the power to create new remedies for online infringements (for example, he could create jail terms for file-sharing, or create a "three-strikes" plan that costs entire families their internet access if any member stands accused of infringement)

2. The Secretary of State would get the power to create procedures to "confer rights" for the purposes of protecting rightsholders from online infringement. (for example, record labels and movie studios can be given investigative and enforcement powers that allow them to compel ISPs, libraries, companies and schools to turn over personal information about Internet users, and to order those companies to disconnect users, remove websites, block URLs, etc)

3. The Secretary of State would get the power to "impose such duties, powers or functions on any person as may be specified in connection with facilitating online infringement" (for example, ISPs could be forced to spy on their users, or to have copyright lawyers examine every piece of user-generated content before it goes live; also, copyright "militias" can be formed with the power to police copyright on the web)
this unelected twunt is really getting on my moobs

A source close to the British Labour Government has just given me reliable information about the most radical copyright proposal I've ever seen.
This might be true and if it is then it is wrong - but I somehow doubt it.

Of course, anyone wanting to bring this in would have to get it through the House of Lords first. Who wants to bet that it would be pushed back to the Commons to be reconsidered.

One more, politicians proving they don't have a fvcking clue how the internet actually works.

Whet said:
A source close to the British Labour Government has just given me reliable information about the most radical copyright proposal I've ever seen.
This might be true and if it is then it is wrong - but I somehow doubt it.

Of course, anyone wanting to bring this in would have to get it through the House of Lords first. Who wants to bet that it would be pushed back to the Commons to be reconsidered.
Except that Mandleson would invoke the Parliament Act before you could say "Evil, conniving, smarmy, supercilious skinny little shit".

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Look on the bright side guys - going by his resignations, he's already had two strikes.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Bravo_Zulu said:
Have the words "Enabling Act 1933" come into anyone else's head or is it just me?
Without fear of contradiction, just you. Please elucidate

Personally I reckon the entertainment industry is paying him a massive wedge to introduce these laws. Why else would he fight so hard to get them through?

The Enabling Act of 1933 (properly known as the "Law to Remedy the Distress of the People and the Nation") was the act which gave Hitler the power to pass legislation with little or no democratic control, and paved the way for Germany to become a dictatorship.

Start with something small, and next time it comes around the tinfoil-hat accusers on ARRSE will say "what's the matter? it's no different from that copyright law..."

Much as I dislike copyright infringement, due to the type of business I run, I'd rather go bust than have the Government spy on the population for something as petty as this. There's a big difference between stopping large scale piracy and punishing folk for downloading the odd song. It's like policing kids who swap tapes of stuff they've recorded off the radio.

If the Government suggested that a log be kept of every person you spoke to as you went about your daily business - or wanted to fit you with a painless microchip to track your every move - there'd be outrage. But that's exactly what they're doing to people online.

People use the Internet to do many of the things they did offline in the past. The online world should be policed in the same way as the offline world - i.e. we should all be entitled to complete privacy, unless we're caught doing something very illegal.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Bravo_Zulu said:
The Enabling Act of 1933 (properly known as the "Law to Remedy the Distress of the People and the Nation") was the act which gave Hitler the power to pass legislation with little or no democratic control, and paved the way for Germany to become a dictatorship.
Thank you. I now consider myself educated.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Actually, ref point one, I think he would struggle as group punishment is specifically forbidden under UN whatever, Mandy's certainly nasty enough to test it though. Where's Ashie? He could explain why this sort of fascism is good for us.

FORMER_FYRDMAN said:
Actually, ref point one, I think he would struggle as group punishment is specifically forbidden under UN whatever, Mandy's certainly nasty enough to test it though. Where's Ashie? He could explain why this sort of fascism is good for us.
Ashie's standard reply to posts about Mandelson is "but he's one of the greatest political operators ever". No, really. He thinks it's a good thing.

It is called delegated legislation and it has been around for donkey's years. There are thousands of enabling acts on the UK statute book (shock, horror).

DeltaDog said:
Start with something small, and next time it comes around the tinfoil-hat accusers on ARRSE will say "what's the matter? it's no different from that copyright law..."
Ha, there we go:

Booty said:
It is called delegated legislation and it has been around for donkey's years.