The Pretentious Food Thread

There's a place nearby that was doing vegan burgers from beetroot.
Apparently so like the real thing, they bleed!
It's beetroll in a roll. Twats
One of my favourite sandwiches is ham and boiled beetroot in a roll. Don't fancy it without the ham though

Yokel

LE
One near here used to.A bloke I know had a son working there.The son reckoned the owner used to have the same chips on the go for three or four days.
I thought that was a PAYD trick! Breakfast sausages left over? Nevermind, put them into Hot Dogs for lunch. Hot Dogs left over? Nevermind, retrieve the sausages, smoother them with cheese and make them into a Pasta Bake....

Surely cooking chips again and again saturates them with fat?

Anyway - can anyone tell me which has a lower fat content - a friend slice or a friend hash brown?

Last edited:
I've never seen any chippy fry their chips more than once.
I have, many times. I think it’s also a way for a chippy to be flexible. The bloke/blokess running the place doesn’t know if there’ll be two customers or twenty in the next 15 minutes. So they part-fry the chips at a lower temp, and keep them warm. When someone comes in asking for chips, and oh look, there’s three more people behind them, they know to chuck a load in the hotter oil and finish them off quickly. I think it’s also why a proper chippy will have 4 or 6 bays in their fryer.

I thought that was a PAYD trick! Breakfast sausages left over? Nevermind, put them into Hot Dogs for lunch? Hot Dogs left over? Nevermind, retrieve the sausages, smoother them with cheese and make them into a Pasta Bake....

Surely cooking chips again and again saturates them with fat?

Anyway - can anyone tell me which has a lower fat content - a friend slice or a friend hash brown?

I tend to just have a thin smear of bacon fat in the pan, to almost dry fry them, these days.....

But every once in a while, I'll go for a greasy spoon, where you could wring the bread out and fry a panfull of chips in the grease.

No one's mentioned potato cakes/ scones yet..... lovely.

I'm imagining that there were park benches rather than bar stools. Was it one of those Scottish themed pubs where the cocktails are made of hair lacquer, cough linctus, toilet duck and Buckfast and patrons are expected to square up and shout loudly and incomprehensively at each other?

Half my genes are Jockanese, so I could have coped with that. No, this was pretentious rustic-with-a-hint-of-nautical. And it turned out to be full of nerdy blokes with big specs, and women with dreadlocks and/or brightly coloured hair. And, from their over-loud chuntering, it was hard to be unaware of the fact that they'd been at some sort of 'stop Brexit' gathering earlier.

*shudders*

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A couple from a local menu

Tattie tots (vegan) - £5 Potato bon-bons, white bean paste, pink dulse & green chutney

Bread & whipped butter - £3.5

Chef

LE
A couple from a local menu

Tattie tots (vegan) - £5 Potato bon-bons, white bean paste, pink dulse & green chutney

Bread & whipped butter - £3.5
Holy shit!!!

OneTenner

Old-Salt
Back in the day French Toast was wafer thin toasted bread. Nowadays it's the new name for fried bread. Is this an example of "reverse-pretention" to make fatties feel better about their lardy diets?
Errr...no, French toast is 'eggy bread' done with baguettes instead of Warburtons Toastie, the thin toast usually served with pate (Shiphams, still in the jar) is Melba toast

I know for a fact that the chicken shop next to the coop where I used to go bin diving closed at 10 pm with a hot cabinet full of chicken and they never threw anything out.

Either they ate 20 lb of drumsticks before closing up or that chicken was recycled for next day.

I'm imagining that there were park benches rather than bar stools. Was it one of those Scottish themed pubs where the cocktails are made of hair lacquer, cough linctus, toilet duck and Buckfast and patrons are expected to square up and shout loudly and incomprehensively at each other?
You're confusing that with the House of Commons.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
How dare you sir, every one of my exclamations is fully comprehensible.

May I present these offerings, from a night out in Ilkley last October:

2019-10-16 19.20.31.jpg

2019-10-16 20.01.56.jpg

2019-10-16 20.02.38.jpg

Christ, it's like living in the old Superman Comics Bizarro World - where everything exists in an altered state. Or Alice Through the Looking Glass.

Do you think the staff are on drugs?
Had quite an enjoyable night actually. The place with the (complimentary) crisps served in a cup was The Gin Palace - and was very 'art deco'. Here's what the sh1tters looked like:

2019-10-16 21.18.28.jpg

Well the sinks in the sh1tters.

Jarrod would have been in "Yoo Hoooo!" heaven

Latest Threads