Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The PPE issue - WTF?

The ex-Mrs Speedy works for the NHS in a projects department. She tells me that some investgation into a local hostpital traced their infection to the private dispensary near the hospital entrance. From there it was carried by foot into the rest of the hospital.
The hostpital cleaning regimen was fine, but being undermined by the fact it was coming in on peoples footwear.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case in others.

Last edited:
The PPE issue is a world-wide issue, not one government was prepared for this anywhere in Europe or elsewhere.
The French government was prepared for this should it have happened 10 years ago, the same as the UK probably.
In 2009 they had 720 million FFP2 masks and a billion surgical masks in stock, this makes interesting reading for anyone that thinks it is only the UK that has inefficient government.

The ex-Mrs Speedy works for the NHS in a projects department. She tells me that some investgation into a local hostpital traced their infection to the private dispensary near the hotel entrance. From there it was carried by foot into the rest of the hospital.
The hostpital cleaning regimen was fine, but being undermined by the fact it was coming in on peoples footwear.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case in others.

There's a good paper on this particular issue by Chinese medics from Wuhan. A big problem for them was contamination on the floors, not in the wards but in the corridors, where the bug was stirred up with dust and dirt particles by foot traffic. Answer: hose the corridors down with disinfectant as well.

There's a good paper on this particular issue by Chinese medics from Wuhan. A big problem for them was contamination on the floors, not in the wards but in the corridors, where the bug was stirred up with dust and dirt particles by foot traffic. Answer: hose the corridors down with disinfectant as well.
This has shades of those pre-Covid rants about beople 'catching MRSA ih hospital' when in all likelihood they caught it from their visitors.

Finally:

1589203000895.png

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
All well and good, but try and get hold of some, I ordered a mask and filters 2 weeks ago because I knew this would come about and they still haven't arrived.
See my previous post re making one out of a sock on page 5. Better than nothing perhaps?

Or if your missus can sew (or you're good with soft furnishings), there's this:

Last edited:
Has any research been conducted into Muslim women who wear their face covering fully covering the lower half of their face? Serious enquiry. :cool:

With all the moaning about the need for PPE, I was surprised to see the services personnel running a testing centre locally wearing shirtsleeve order, when presumably they all have issued CBRN kit. Surely if anything is a lethal biological agent, CV-19 is?
Easier and quicker to clean/sanitise your arms than clothing.

Thickened chemical aids are like Bostik glue and would not be something you wanted on ordinary clothing. Covid-19 has a fatty outer layer. Like all fats, soap and water will break it down.