Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The PPE issue - WTF?

Bing! Shudder, how base!! Now, be a sport, bung up t'details or screen capture please. Ta.

Here you are. ;)

nhs warehouse.png

The majority of the stock was held at a newly-built 373,000 square foot climate-controlled distribution centre in Merseyside, designed to house England’s pandemic supplies with products also held for use by other parts of the United Kingdom.

Anyone know more about this place: name, where about?
About a decade ago I was working for a transport company.
One of the tractor units was stolen but, it was fitted with a tracker so the police located its whereabouts.
The boss took us down there ( an industrial estate in Merseyside) to meet the policd, check the truck over and bring it home.

It was in a large warehouse. The security staff, office staff etc were sll found to be100% legit, but everything in there had berm nicked.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
For anyone getting upset about expiry dates just remember that everything medical has an expiry date including such items as

disposable scissors,
scalpel blades
water
plain non-medicated dressings and bandages
needles

for sterile items its usually the package that's likely to have deteriorated, or a component that deteriorates over time, such as elastic in masks. Latex is a bugger for becoming brittle, gloves should never snap - but that's pretty much phased out now as too many people have allergies to it.

yeah....take any staple item - mark 'Approved for Medical Use' - charge Treble.

Alternatively, find a way to encourage manufacturing of PPE in the UK, which can be upscaled quickly when needed, thereby negating the requirement for a Turkish t-shirt producer to make it.

Given our NHS is flipping massive, and the coronavirus is expected to be an endemic disease in the UK, there'll always be a demand for it.

Right, it is as simple as that. If it is just too expensive, as we are constantly told, to manufacture things in our own country then something is very, very seriously wrong. It's not too expensive though, it's just that dictatorial hellholes like Turkey, China, Vietnam and others will happily undercut our own people.

The government and British business are to blame for not dealing with the issue of foreign nations undercutting us, this is what tariffs are for in international trade but it's also a clear example of the failure of globalism and outright destructive nature of it.

Try and buy something from Amazon that is not made in China, it's not easy and that is because the profit margins are huge compared with domestically produced items and so the price to the purchaser can be lower. At this rate it will only end when China's economic success reaches the pockets of the people and so they wont work for $20 a month anymore. They wont be getting fcukall though because they live under communism and that fat winnie the poo guy pockets it all.

I was watching part of the Sky News interview of the health secretary on Wednesday morning when they cut over to the head of Royal College of Nursing, during her interview where she was critical of the PPE shortages, she admitted that no on involved in the direct nursing care of Covid19 casualties had caught the virus, and that supplies of PPE for the front line were perfectly adequate.

Somewhere there is a blurring of the truth.
That seems rather at odds with the obituaries in Nursing Times, or the Telegraph article a week or two ago on the hundred healthcare workers who had died (23rd/24th April I think).

It is often said that the tower did not appear on Ordnance Survey maps, despite being a 177-metre (581 ft) tall structure in the middle of central London that was open to the public for about 15 years.[17] However, this is incorrect; the 1:25,000 (published 1971) and 1:10,000 (published 1981) Ordnance Survey maps show the tower.[18] It is also shown in the London A–Z street atlas from 1984.[19]

1971 must be the rebuilt tower ?

With all the moaning about the need for PPE, I was surprised to see the services personnel running a testing centre locally wearing shirtsleeve order, when presumably they all have issued CBRN kit. Surely if anything is a lethal biological agent, CV-19 is?

And for perspective:

"May 4th: The number of NHS staff that have died from Coronavirus overtakes the number of British Military personnel that died during the Iraq War."

And for perspective:

"May 4th: The number of NHS staff that have died from Coronavirus overtakes the number of British Military personnel that died during the Iraq War."
It's a distorted perspective as we don't seem to know how many affected NHS workers contracted the virus outside work.

It's the same with the high vulnerability of BAME people - is there a genetic influence or is it merely that because of poor understanding of English or an adherence to cultural practices, they haven't been practicing social distancing?

It's a distorted perspective as we don't seem to know how many affected NHS workers contracted the virus outside work.

It's the same with the high vulnerability of BAME people - is there a genetic influence or is it merely that because of poor understanding of English or an adherence to cultural practices, they haven't been practicing social distancing?
I'd certainly agree on the BAME bit, you'd have to correct for socioeconomic factors, diet etc before you can be sure if genetics has a role.
I think you can be fairly sure the incidence amongst NHS staff being higher than the general population is something to do with where they work, if not directly attributable to PPE.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I was watching part of the Sky News interview of the health secretary on Wednesday morning when they cut over to the head of Royal College of Nursing, during her interview where she was critical of the PPE shortages, she admitted that no on involved in the direct nursing care of Covid19 casualties had caught the virus, and that supplies of PPE for the front line were perfectly adequate.

Somewhere there is a blurring of the truth.
Quite. Her position is contradictory.

There aren't 'shortages'. Things may have run short, but that's not a 'shortage', which implies having run out.

I do wonder if some of the people criticising, including this person, do so because they feel they have - in the sense that they will be seen by those they represent to not be on 'their' side.

The better position to have taken would be to state that things are running close to the wire but that nothing has run out as yet, efforts are ongoing and a close eye is being kept on things.

That would have done several things. It would have: reflected the reality; steadied the troops; put an end to dissent (which should be being gripped for reasons of morale and to remain a position of political neutrality); and let people know that things aren't being ignored or underestimated.

On VE Day, some neighbours were sitting out the front of their house. We were talking. Two of them are nurses. Both said that while things might have been more scarce than usual nothing had run out. That tallies with what others have said to me.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer

Several of the NHS workers who've died weren't even front-line staff. But the immediate, lazy inference - including from the media - is that they must have caught Covid-19 at work and that that can only be because of a lack of PPE. Therefore, Boris has failed innit.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd certainly agree on the BAME bit, you'd have to correct for socioeconomic factors, diet etc before you can be sure if genetics has a role.
I think you can be fairly sure the incidence amongst NHS staff being higher than the general population is something to do with where they work, if not directly attributable to PPE.
The BAME thing lazily assumes that all white people are the same. Do I, for instance, as an Englishman with a tinge of Gaelic, have the same make-up as a Scandinavian or a German?

As to why the BAME community, there may be genetics. There may also be social habits, such as gathering in large family groups on a regular basis. But, again, the 'poverty = racism' line is lazy and unnecessarily divisive.

There are studies that have done exactly as you've suggested.

BAME males still more likely to die of it.

Want a face mask?

"Crusty" (cough) socks for a more robust mask?