Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The PPE issue - WTF?

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
I get that, but there ought to have been some facility to trickle feed at least parts of this into the supply chain over time. Freely admit im nothing to do with logistics, storing stuff or moving it or the NHS, but it seems daft to spend I guess hundreds of thousands pf pounds at least on stuff then ignore it especially if you know it has a shelf life

Now now, we will have non of that common sense malarky round these parts.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
The majority of the stock was held at a newly-built 373,000 square foot climate-controlled distribution centre in Merseyside, designed to house England’s pandemic supplies with products also held for use by other parts of the United Kingdom.

Anyone know more about this place: name, where about?

The majority of the stock was held at a newly-built 373,000 square foot climate-controlled distribution centre in Merseyside, designed to house England’s pandemic supplies with products also held for use by other parts of the United Kingdom.

Runcorn I think

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Discounting all the media self-promotion that has been going on (Panorama - Exclusive!!....Channel 4 Special Report!!...blah blah) it seems obvious that the NHS supply chain / Public Health England etc have shockingly fumbled the ball on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).

Watching images of medical personnel - who are, get this, TWELVE times more likely to acquire this bastard bug - putting on the same wispy aprons background artistes wear to protect precious wardrobe costumes in the lunch queue is depressing.

I received this recently:

Making Gowns for NHS staff organized by Bella Gonshorovitz

Explanatory article here

The Fashion Designer Making 1,000 Gowns a Week to Help the NHS During the Covid-19 Crisis

Pardon my patois - but Why the FECK are great-hearted tailors and cutters having to make up splash proof gowns for hospitals ?

And who has got away for YEARS with charging £30 a pop for a single-use throw away garment ? :scratch:

Revealed: PPE stockpile was out-of-date when coronavirus hit UK

Half a billion pounds was spent on hundreds of millions of items to protect health workers in the case of an outbreak.

The documents obtained by Channel 4 News show the make-up of the stockpile on 30 January 2020 – the day the World Health Organisation declared the outbreak of novel coronavirus a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

In all, it contained 48,998 pallets, and more than half a billion items.

Why are those who have mismanaged the UK strategic stockpile of 28 million N5 facemasks being reduced to issuing out-of-life items , some of which have sat on shelves since 2012?

( and come to that, excuse my ignorance, but how does a SPES packed facemask deteriorate in storage anyway?)

Something has gone very wrong within the creaking groaning infrastructure management of the National Health Service. (And it cannot be ' All the Tories' fault' )

And some cheesy bastard has been laughing all the way to his Swiss bank account on the NHS contracts.

As a weary former central govt type myself, I know the overdue scorching indictment for malpractice and incompetence will be dribbled carefully into the long grass.

Said grass will consist of an underfunded Public Enquiry, entrusted to a suitably 'safe pair of hands'.

The enquiry motto will be ' We Are Where We Are'............... :frustrated::frustrated::frustrated:

</offrant->
:frustrated::pissedoff:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

If it’s in that geographical area then its exact location is Top Secret.

For obvious reasons.

I wonder how many Procurement Managers in the NHS will be fired/disciplined after all this dies down, due to the PPE issues? I'm guessing between none and zero, as it's easier for lazy journalists to blame the politicians.

Nobody will be responsible for the errors- LESSONS HAVE BEEN LEARNED!

If it’s in that geographical area then its exact location is Top Secret.

For obvious reasons.

Like the location of the Post Office Tower in London, then.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Thread drift on

- Know of one fake that was taken apart and found to have an well known Swiss automatic movement in it. The irony was that it was very well regulated, and only gained a minute a month ! Better than normal.

Thread drift off
To follow that a Thread drift:
Mid-90s and an alleged counterfeiter of Rolexes was prosecuted in Hong Kong
Rolex sent an expert out from Geneva as a prosecution witness.
In Court, the defence QC produced two watches and asked the expert which one was a genuine Rolex.
Our man from Geneva got it wrong: the defendant walked!
Egg foo yong was on the menu!

On it's completion the location of the Post Office Tower, now Telecom Tower, was designated an official secret and did not appear on Ordnance Survey maps until the mid 1990s.

Not paying attention during QI?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
On it's completion the location of the Post Office Tower, now Telecom Tower, was designated an official secret and did not appear on Ordnance Survey maps until the mid 1990s.

Not paying attention during QI?
It is often said that the tower did not appear on Ordnance Survey maps, despite being a 177-metre (581 ft) tall structure in the middle of central London that was open to the public for about 15 years.[17] However, this is incorrect; the 1:25,000 (published 1971) and 1:10,000 (published 1981) Ordnance Survey maps show the tower.[18] It is also shown in the London A–Z street atlas from 1984.[19]

In February 1993, the MP Kate Hoey used the tower as an example of trivial information being kept officially secret, and joked that she hoped parliamentary privilege allowed her to confirm that the tower existed and to state its street address.[20]

Wikipedia

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
For anyone getting upset about expiry dates just remember that everything medical has an expiry date including such items as

disposable scissors,
scalpel blades
water
plain non-medicated dressings and bandages
needles

for sterile items its usually the package that's likely to have deteriorated, or a component that deteriorates over time, such as elastic in masks. Latex is a bugger for becoming brittle, gloves should never snap - but that's pretty much phased out now as too many people have allergies to it.

dlrg

LE
Genuine question.
Couldn't the NHS transfer their stocks of PPE from the un(der)used 'Nightingale' facilities to where they are actually needed?

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
not sure to what extenr or if it would have made any odds but nhs logestics wad sold offf a couple of years back

Does that mean that big green, well made box, with NHS Logistics embossed into it, that is currently in my garage filled with tools is no longer 'of interest'?

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
You mean the warehouse that shows up on Bing Maps as "NHS Logistics".

Bing! Shudder, how base!! Now, be a sport, bung up t'details or screen capture please. Ta.

1aaa.jpg